What's the general rule on high water

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by e_a_g_l_e_p_i, Oct 14, 2008.

1. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i New Member

State:
    MN
    Hi Guys,

I'm shore fishing for cats on the Red River in Fargo, we just recently had about 3 good days of rain and the river is very high now. Looks like I will only have a few more days left to fish this year with 50's and 60's temps, should I even go out with the water so high???

Thanks

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Ron, I have my best luck durring high water times. I fish the eddy's or breaks when I fish from the bank and in a boat I like to fish right below or right above submerged trees. Try to place your bait right in between the main current and where the eddy is forcing water back up river towards you.

Good luck hope this helps.

Chris

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Go for it I have caught plenty of cats during high water in spring . Can't catch em if your not fishing

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    All I can add is that high water gives ya a chance to fish some new turf. And trust me. The channels know the new turf is there also. Good luck to ya.

5. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i New Member

State:
    MN
    The only problem in my area is that the only places that I can access are snag heaven, would you suggest fishing using a bobber so my hook doesn't lay on the bottom and get snagged.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

That'll work if ya got a good idea of the depth. Otherwise your hook will still be on the bottom. Work your baits around the snags and coax em out.

7. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i New Member

State:
    MN
    Easier said than done when you are new to catfishing, I have donated enough hooks and weights this past week I would rather be safe and fish above the snags

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Gotta break some eggs to make an ommlette. LOL!

9. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    nicely said george, couldnt of said it any better myself

10. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I would consider the boat landing at MB Johnson Park north of Moorhead as one possible fairly snag free spot.

Below any of the 3 low head dams is pretty tough going until you get far enough below that the bottom isn't all riprap and the water slows down.

Most of the spots we fish are on the Fargo Side, or really are not suitable for high water or muddy conditions. Really have to be careful around those slippery mud banks.

11. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i New Member

State:
    MN
    That is where I always fish because of the easy access, now the water is too high, I think I'll wait until next week there are suppose to be some sunny days in the high 50's and mid 60's.

I have been thinking about trying the banks by Usher's House, ever fish there? Sorry I couldn't answer your PM because I only had 9 posts, this is my tenth so I won't have that problem again :)

Ron

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ron, Welcome to the BOC fro sunny South Carolina. Check out my tip for saving your rigs in the snags.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78235
    Believe me, I lost a ton of rigs before I figured out how to jig 'em loose. BTW: If your water is snaggy like that, you're fishin' in the right place! Good luck and keep us posted! Just re-read your post and see that you are shore fishin'. It's harder to work snagged lines loose from shore.
    Bill in SC

13. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Well Ron Sinkers I can help you with.

You bring me lead, wheel weights, etc and we'll make you up a bunch.

Never heard of Ushers House, no idea where abouts your talking.

Moorhead Country Club may be a good place to scout out.

Also might try taking the toll bridge road, right after the City shops there is a road leading down to the north Dam.

If your going to fish below I'd suggest walk down at least a couple of blocks. Watch the water, you can see where it starts slowing down and gets more linear, less turbulent.

Above the dam I've also caught catfish, but it seems harder to find them. Goldeyes, carp and suckers for bait yes.

14. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i New Member

State:
    MN
    Yes I use to fish the North Dam all the time about 18 years ago, I just started fishing again after all those years. I think with the high water the Moorhead side would be a good place now.

Usher's House is is accross the Center mall, it use to be I think the Boar's Head. It's a resturant that sits on the Red.

here is a Google Earth image of the place I mean, I put red dots where I'd like to try fishing. The Center mall is on the lower left corner

Attached Files:

15. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Ahhhh got ya.

I really have not caught many cats above the north dam.

I did catch a 13# channel labor day weekend at Lindenwood.
    Which shocked and suprised the heck out of me.

Lots of little stone cats, some very small young channel cats under 8". But probably less then 5 eating size channels and up. Most of those came from Lindenwood the last time the river was up. The Gooseberry side is not as accessible when the river is down, road might even be under water now.

The Moorhead side of the Broadway bridge is one possible spot to consider. The Fargo side is low, muddy, will be under water. But the north side should have a good pool between the pilings and the shore. Watch out for the trash pile on the upstream side of the pilings. Your going to want to look for shallow calmer water out of the main flow.

Also in this colder water the bite seems very slow and light.
    I had carp stealing doughballs yesterday but couldn't get a hook into one.

16. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    I was going to say the same thing about areas out of the main current. If the water is high and rolling then look for little culvurts or slews that are out of the main current. Some of them may be muddy or weedy backwater areas and then when the water is up they are chalked full of channels cause them areas are usually chalked full of cralwers and then when it floods is the only time they can get into them. They are easy to catch and eat and are full of nutrients. In those backwater areas I dont even use weight sometimes. I will just toss out some cut bait or a big plug of crawlers and work them back to me real slow. I toss the same spot for a few times cause that will leave a scent trail in the water and fish swimming by can follow it to your bait. Also a float works well. Float it right next to the current break, where the fast and slow water meet. Alot of times the fish will sit right there and wait for something to float by and ambush it. Usually works for me in high water. Just think about it. High water is usually fast and that would be the equivilant of a storm for the fish. They want to expend as little energy as possible and still get food. That would be out of the current, but the current brings the food to them so they still want to have access to it. Dont get too far from that current. Another good spot to try is right by the bank. If you got trees or a runnoff that is going into the water then that can bring in worms or insects that fall out of the trees or get caught in the runoff. I have caught some decent size fish within a foot of the bank right after a big rain or even during it. Hope this helps.

17. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i fish high water here more often as it starts to receed seems like i catch the bigger fish at that time in the rough stuff