What's the dumbest mistake you've ever made?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Katmaster Jr., May 8, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    So what's the dumbest mistake you've ever made while fishing?

I really haven't done anything too bad....yet! I've done stuff like leave poles at the fishing hole and have someone steal them before I got back, but what tops it all is something my dad did last summer....He forgot to put his parking brake on when he parked his van near the river while fishing, well it resulted in the van going way into the river and him throwing all the important stuff up on the bank while "Going down with the ship" LMAO. It's funny now but the van can't be fixed, at least we got it out of the river with a tow truck before it made it into the channel.:eek:oooh:

So lets hear some stories, I won't laugh too bad!:big_smile:

Zakk

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Well the other day I forgot my fishing license that was pretty dumb. I just left my rods in the truck and let my girlfriend fish for a few hours while I jsut relaxed. The worst part about that was that I had all my gear, but that little piece of paper was stopping me.

I also fell out of a canoe while fishing once a few years ago because I wasn't paying attention.

3. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    try locking your keys in your truck, boat on the trailer, truck and trailer on blocking boat ramp. or not to say i am an idiot, but i have had my moments, catch a fish, take fish off lure. toss lure back over side of boat, common practice of mine to avoid hooking myself, turn around to retrieve rod, i am still looking for that rod and reel.:big_smile: :big_smile:

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Locked my keys in the car. The car was still running. Managed to get the hood up. Pulled the ignition wires to stall the engine. Blew out the distributer. bad distributer and keys locked in the car, Oh yea baby I wasn't goin nowhere....

5. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    i hope we never meet up on the same boat ramp!LMAO:big_smile:

6. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Went fishing and forgot my license. Went golfing and forgot my clubs. Went hunting and forgot my gun.
    Locked my keys in my truck three times in two weeks. Payed $25 the first two times to have a professional to come out and unlock it and the third time I spent four hrs and used two hangers trying to unlock it by myself. Neighbor came over and spent 10 seconds opening the sliding rear window with a screwdriver.

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    This is the most recent. After fishing for cats awhile I catch a turtle by the toe. I planned on taking him to a neighbor down the road and he usually likes them dead. So me being the nice guy I am I decide to dispatch the turtle for him. I put my pole down next to the turtle and grab a cinderblock.
    I smash the turtle good, direct hit and Mr. Turtle dies quickly. The cinderblock bounces off the turtle and right on my rod.:crazy: Broke it in three pieces but its supposed to have a lifetime guarantee so I should be able to get it replaced as long as they dont ask how I broke it.

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    derby... atleast it wasn't your toe that it smashed...

I've forgotten to bring gear... rain gear, bait, nets, etc... never have forgotten my license its ALWAYS in my wallet...

Forgot my camera and caught my PB channel... released it because i didn't have a way to keep him w/ out killing and didn't want to do that..

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Thats kinda funny cause I almost got my toe with my tackle box. I set out a turtle trap and went fishing. After fishing I load my tackle box and bait cooler and drink cooler and..... Lets say the back of my explorer was plumb full. I told myself 3-4 times to be sure to open the glass and not the whole door. So what do I do? I opened the whole door and on top of the mess is the heaviest item, my tackle box. As soon as I open the door I remember not to open the door. When the door opens I hear the mess shift and I can hear the tackle box coming. Well luckily my shin broke its fall:crazy:, and my toe only got a glancing blow.

10. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    had went fishing..baited my lines and casted them out..had to answer the call of nature..when i got back 2 poles were headed downstream:embarassed:

11. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    The dumbest Ive ever maid while fishing. It has to be not keeping my troswer trout in my pants and not saying I Do to my first two ex wives. L.O L. Bigcatman0816.

12. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    The dumbest thing I've ever done is quit fishing for a period of about 4 years. I had graduated college, moved to Tuscaloosa, and all but quit fishing (maybe once a year). Worked in Moundville right on the bank of the Black Warrior (flathead haven). Never even wet a line there. Let my boat sit up and ruin the motor.:embarassed:

Yep that was dumb, and I can't place my finger on the reason why.

13. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Not sure the server could withstand it if I listed everything. LMAO

14. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    guess my most frequent is tyin the hook on n fergot to put the egg sinker on first. or when i used ta use stringers, forgettin to run the line back through the round end n losin all my fish.

15. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Pay for something without taking it with you. forgetting a knife and plyers when I went fishing. Went fishing 20 miles away and forgot the bait.

16. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    "Pay for something without taking it with you."

Well, at least you didn' forget to pay for something you took!

I have tied a rig w/o a wieght and have gone bream fishing w/o worms. That's about as far as i'm goin to expose myself to the majority.

17. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Just the other day went to bait some lines. Got all the stuff out of the truck and realized that I had the battery but not the trolling motor!:embarassed:

Even worse though (and it's entirely my fault), went out to bait the lines on a different occasion. My wife and an exchange student wanted to ride with me to pick blackberries while I was out. I get all loaded in the boat and the student asks to ride with me in the boat. I only have one life jacket with me and give it to her (you can guess where this is going). On the way back in, 50 yards from the bank, I'm stopped by Game and Fish and given a ticket because I don't have a life vest for me. Oh well, I knew better but honestly had forgotten and wanted her to be protected. What was so embarrassing was being given the ticket in front of all my neighbors.

18. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    get up early, the boats already hooked and loaded, take off for the river all fired up about the fish i'm gonna catch. pull into mcdonalds drive up, order, pull up to window #1. pay for breakfast, drive off, headed for the river. didn't even bother to go back, anybody that stupid doesn't deserve to eat. lol
    catwacker

19. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :tounge_out: Well.....I drove 75 miles truck ...boat..poles .....bait..everything ready.....launch the boat...get ready to fire it up.......I forgot the boat key:crazy: now i have a key on all my key rings:lol:

20. youngcatfisherman55

youngcatfisherman55 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was fishing on McAlpine Creek and I started daydreaming while watching my poles and one of my poles bent clean over into the water and i never noticed it until i heard it hit the water. i missed the fish