Whats the difference????

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by PHLIPS4BIGKATS, Nov 14, 2008.

1. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    What is the difference between the internal and external gps antenas on the Lowrance units? Is one better than the other? Cause I'm leaning towards the 525 or the 527.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I've got the external.... and so I had to find a place to mount the unit... had to put it on the other side of the walk-thru dash, not that my alum boat was going to give it a problem.. but it is away from the wires etc. from fish finder etc on the right side......

The internal antenna is "self contained".... you might be able to take it with you and use in the car or other boat if needed... the antenna is part of the unit....only one wire going into it... the external has two wires going in to it.....

Good luck with yours.... glad I went to the L'lowrance... my Magellan is to small to look at and dosent have the clarity or size of the Low...

Bayrunner Ray

3. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Chris I have the LMS-522iGPS and love it. Having the antenna internally eliminates the need for a seperate piece of hardware and takes up less space. If you use your gps in an enclosure or have a top on your cabin where the unit would not have something between it and the clear sky then definantly get the antenna. If you fish on an open boat, no top, then having an internal is a better idea. Less stuff to mount and takes up less space. I have never had a problem with reception. Nice electronics, these Lowrances!

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    It all depends on where you're going to mount the unit and whether an internal antenna can get a decent view of the sky. Otherwise there's no difference.

5. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    My avatar is my boat for now.I'm looking to go to a 20ft MV with a beemy top for those hot days.

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Chris I have a buddy that has a lowance with the built in GPS and he has issues if the unit is not straight up and down when viewing the screen. Lowrance told him the antenna is in the back of the unit in the middle. If he tilts the unit back to get a better view things get wacky and the unit is not as accurate. I have seen it go from 10ft to 45ft just tilting it up and down. I traded his in for he extranal and he now loves it.