What's the difference?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Fisher14, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey guys, what's the difference between a channel cat and what they call a government cat? I heard something about a government cat the other day and they said it was similar to a channel cat, but that's all I found out. Just seeing if anyone else knew anything else.

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I Have no idea, never heard of that

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    It could be hybrid catfish (blue and channel) hatcheries used to make these fish because they grew faster and where more aggressive than a blue or a channel.They also went threw the fish cleaning machines easier so the catfish farms liked em too.They supposably quit makin em because it was to exspensive.The goverment used to stock channel cats and hybrid cats in private ponds for free at one time.All they stock now is bream and bass.You have to buy catfish now.So the answer to your question is more than likely channels and hybrids.

4. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for that clarification, Chris. Hence the name "government", I guess!

5. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    i seen goverment catfish one time i knew right off ,
    it was spawing season and there were 8 catfish sitting there staring at one catfish making the bed

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    That was a good one George.:lol: :lol:

7. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    LMAO, George!!:lol:

8. rango

rango New Member

State:
    south carolina
    the one making the bed was an employee and the ones watching was supervisonrs... been there done that. (making the bed that is)

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If you know of a fish hatchery that produces hybrid channel-blue catfish, or public waters where the fish have been released, I would love to hear about who it is.

Channel catfish have been crossbred for years for the commerical industry, but they were cross bred with other channel catfish to produce a disease resistent and growth intensive strain of cats.

A hybrid channel x blue has been created in laboratories, but it involves manually doing the cross breeding and can not be mass produced at this time to my knowledge.

I would love to see some documentation of where they have been stocked in public waters.