What's the difference...

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Bill in SC, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    in 60# fluorocarbon leader material, and 60# fluorocarbon fishing line? I know the leader material is VERY EXPENSIVE! They use a different formula for extra durability with leader material?

Bill in SC

2. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I think that the only difference is that the leader material is packed in large loose coils, vs being tighly packed on a small diameter spool like the regular line is. That way the leader has less memory. I know that ANDE line and ANDE leader material is the same thing, just packed like I said above.

3. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    bill

the biggest difference between leader material and fishing line is leader material is made to be stiffer and thicker than the same lb test line. also leader material generally has no stretch and depending on the company little to no memory now the reason why flourocarbon leader material is expensive is because offshore fishermen use it for tuna fishing and they want heavier leaders say 50lb and up which is why you rarely see 100%flourocarbon line in anything over 60lb test. hope this helps

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Different formulas.They gotta sacrifice some abrasion resistance to make it soft enough to cast well.:wink: