Whats the difference Between Canadian nightcrawlers and regular ones?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by LiquidSteel, Oct 9, 2006.

1. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Between Canadian nightcrawlers and regular night crawlers? At wally-world, they sell 2 kinds, the Canadians and the regular. And as usual, when I ask the clerk what the difference is, he just shrugs his shoulders at me. I have noticed that the Candians are much larger, but are they really from Canada?
    Or is it just a name attached to a larger worm?
    And does anyone here have their own worm farm?

Really the only time I use night crawlers is to either catch bait fish or when I take little ones fishin. That way Im fairly certain they will catch some fish.

Also, check this out!

http://www.gollonbait.com/greencrawlers.html

Tight lines to ya all!!!

2. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    hay kenny i doo have a worm farm and i can get worms to be a foot long or more! but i dont kno the diference solon as they catch fish i dont care much.:big_smile:

3. mashunter18

mashunter18 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    YEah the canadians are bigger, not sure if they rally come from canada though.

Iv seen the flourisent green ones for sale also around here.

4. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    ya i gotta tube of mean greens at home.

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It definitely sounds like somethin I'd like to try! Thanks for posting!:big_smile:

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Canadian nightcrawlers may be bred by others not living in Canads, its a type of nightcrawler, not necessarly they come from Canads Canadian nightcrawlers need to be kept cool or they turn to mush. Regualar night crawles may or may not need to be kept cool.

7. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I was looking online for worms awhile back and come across a site (I don't remember what it was) that give some information on them.

It said that they had to be kept cold to live and that they would not reproduce like regular worms.

I don't remember what all it said, but I do remember that much?

I thought about buying some at Wally World and try raising them, but if they won't reproduce, why try it?

Ken

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The only difference I have ever noticed is the tail. Canadian's have that paddle tail and are at times refered to as paddletail are beaver tail worms.

9. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Do you have photos you can post of your worm farm? Ive been thinking about builiding my own. If you dont have photos, could you explain what its made out of and the approxamate dimensions?

Thanks!

Kenny

10. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Canadian Crawlers are bigger than the European Crawlers by far. the European crawlers are more able to handle warmer temps. Breeding crawlers is slow and unproductive. Have been able to breed a few but not many.
    If you want to raise worms Red wigglers is the way to go. Problem with them is they don't get very big. I keep a 30 gal cooler going of wigglers all the time. Great little composters and breed like crazy. But as bait, Pan fish only.

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ....could have sworn i heard some speaking French to each other once?:big_smile:

12. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    hay kenny i just took the photos and it might takke a while to figure this stupid computer out.

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I can't shed much light on the difference. I think the canada ones might just be a brand or region name. I read an article in one of our news papers this summer that said all nightcrawlers we have now in the northern parts of the USA came from europe when the whites started settling here in the 1500s. The reason we didn't have any here before was because the glaciers wiped them out 10,000 yrs ago. Since canada is farther north than us I'm gonna assume they didn't have any either. So they should be the same. Maybe they have adapted to the cooler weather up there, and grow shorter and thicker.

14. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    in minnesota we catch nite crawlers, but we can dig up worms from the garden, call em angle worms. most of the nite crawlers got flat tails, the mn conservation volunteer magazine says there are no worms native to minn. I don't know but i reckon they are correct. and jordan, i'd like to know how you grow worms too. thanks

15. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I have had both at the same time, both need to be kept in the frig when not fishing and both will get mushy whey they get warm, The canadians seem to last longer than others in the frig. Found that out by mistake.