What's the difference between a spinning and a casting rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by loanwizard, Feb 5, 2007.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I bought (for my birthday last year) two 12' Ugly Stick spinning Rods paired with matching Cabela's Salt Striker SBF 50's. Within 4 trips, I noticed I couldn't tighten the drag, so I had slippage if anything over 5 lbs bit. Needless to say I am not happy. My question is, What is the difference between a spinning rod and a casting rod besides guide size and trigger? Can I mount the two ABU BG9000HSN's on the spinning rods? How will it affect performance?
    One of these days i need to run to Cabela's and see if they will help me with my issue. Only problem is, I'll come home with repaired reels and two new casting rods! :angry:

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i broke a spincasting reel one time and always keep a spare spinning reel in my tackel box so i put it on there. i didnt see a differance besides the line had alot of friction cuz the tiny guides. its a reverse situation for you, so i dont think it would be a big deal? the line would be going up and over the first guide wouldnt it since its raised a little on spinning rods? not sure, i say take it to cabelas first day off work you have but thats just me:tounge_out:

3. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Hell, thats a good question. The best person to answer that question would be someone who actually builds rods. I bet that man who makes custom rods with the screen name gator could answer that for you. Casting rods eyelits probably have less of a tendency to rotate towards the ground. I think that has to do with what they call the natural spine of the rod. I read a book on rod building once but I didnt retain everything I read.

4. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot to ask. Whats up with the 12ft rod!!! Are you one of those bank fishers that take a running hookset?! lol.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Actually I usually fish 90% from a boat. However, last year an old boy embarassed me by effortlessly casting "out to the channel" He had a big rod, so I got me a big rod... Size matters. :tounge_out: :roll_eyes: :wink:

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Referencein what I was taught it is primarily the size of the eyes. The line comein off of a castin reel comes off straight there for goin directly through the eyes of the rod. The way line has to come off a spinnin reel dictates that the eyes be designed bigger to smaller to accomodate that motion and allow for respectable castin distance and performance.

Sounds like a job for the "MYTHBUSTERS" LOL!

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Shawn, It won't work worth a darn. The spine is on the wrong side.The eye size doesn't matter in your case.If you were using light gear like a micro rod and reel you could probably get away with it. Using heavy equipment will only cause you aggravation. When you put a load on the rod it will want to correct it's self and bend toward the load. Your casts will be off target and when fighting a good size fish the pole will want to twist in your hand. Like the fella said If you cast and fish upside down it would be alright!

8. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Well now Jack thats good advice and it makes sence, I was about to tell Shawn that the eye size is the only difference beisdes the trigger
    Once again I tip my hat and give you my fish ! lol

9. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sorry to hear about the salt striker spinning reels... I own 4 of them and have had no problems over a years worth of use... I fish about 2-6 times a month. But I do clean my reel once a month just to keep my equipment in tip top shape.

10. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    When I use to build my rods I would spline the rod for the lure weight.

11. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    FISH UPSIDE DOWN AY? JACK I"LL JUST BET YOU THAT'S WHAT I BEEN DOING WRONG ALL THE TIME.AND I JUST THOUGHT I WAS JUST PLANE STUPID.THANK YOU SIR.I DO FEEL A WHOLE LOT BETTER NOW,KNOWING WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS. YOUR STUPID BROTHER J.D.
    :beat_shot:

12. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    The rod blanks are the same but spinning rods have the eyelets put on oppisit of the spine and bait casting is on the spine. The eyelets are different too because with a spinning reel the line comes off in coils and needs the bigger eyelets so there is less friction for the line to pass through. With a bait casting rod the line comes out straight so they cane be smaller without creating too much friction.

13. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    This was a good subject !!