whats the difference between a 6000 and a 6500 Abu Garcia fishing reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slimdaddy, Oct 9, 2008.

1. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    what is the difference in a 6000 and a 6500 abu garcia i think they hold same amount of line and same gear ratio so whats the difference

2. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    i believe the difference between the 6000 and the 6500 are the number of bearings and or 1 might have bushings instead of bearings (6000b will have bushings ) and a thumbar instead of a pushbutton. I am sure someone with more knowledge can help you a little bit more , but i tried the best i could

3. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    the 6000 has a bearing on the gear side of the spool and a bushing on the other side. the 6500 is a C3 so it has bearings on both sides. both the 6000 and the 6500 have push buttons on the side and should have bait clickers. a 6600 has bearings on both sides and has a thumb bar.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great info thanks for helping out

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Joe,

Reps to you on the great info and thanks for helping out an Bro.

6. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    The newer 6500 reels have carbon matrix drags where the 6000 reels still have the multidisc washers. Abu Garcia claims that the carbon matrix drags are 35% stronger. I have 2 6000 reels and 3 6500 reels and would agree that the carbon matrix drags are better.

7. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thanks for all the good info. I always wonder the difference between all the abus.

8. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    thanks for the info ive been wanting to get a 6500 i have a 6000 and some 5500 c3 and 5000c and a old 5000d

9. HUSKER77

HUSKER77 New Member

State:
    IRVING, TX
    Thank you Joe!!!

10. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Can someone tell me how difficult it is for the ones with the small thumb button up on the top side of the reel instead of the thumb bar behind the spool?. Are they harder to cast?, easier to cast?, advantage?, disadvantage?, etc....

11. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    The reels with the small button on the top require two hands to cast. The thumbar requires one hand. With the thumbar you can press the button and hold the spool with your thumb at the same time. Maybe some can work the small button on the top with one hand but I can't without a backlash. I run my spool tension very loose for distance casting. Once the respective buttons are pressed and the spool is disengaged there is no difference in the way either reel casts. My personal preference is the reels with the thumbar for reasons stated above.

12. davidp

davidp New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I prefer the little button over the thumb bar for two reasons. One when fishin with the clicker set I can immediately tell if the small button is depressed while I cannot always tell if the thumb bar is depressed. And when I get hung up and need to break the line, I can wrap the line around the reel frame a couple of times and pull on the line. With the thumb bar the line sometimes slips down beside the thumb bar and pinches the line creating a nick.

I don't have any trouble pushing the button and then casting. Each to his own as it is up to personal preference.

13. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Good Good, thank you for that info. I been trying to think of the logic in it here. I think I might give one with the small upper button a try, I like what I am hearing here.

Thanks Brothers!

14. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    I'm with David on this one. I have had some issues with the thumbar. I have a habit of grabbing the reel in hand when I go to set a hook and half the time I somehow manage to hit that thumbar before i set. Ask anyone what happens when you do that. As far as having to use your other hand to push the little button to cast.... what else are ya gonna be doin with that hand while trying to cast. :wink:

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I own both and I dont see much difference.

16. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Im with joe on this one! Usually when i set the hook i put my thumb on the spool also! on the top button 6500s you dont have to worry bout depressing the button and getting a big birds nest. The thumbbar on the 6600s can get in the way and cause you to lose fish! In my opinion the top buttons the way to go. Def. when your adrenilin gets pumpin on a good run! Leaves less room for error!:wink:

17. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    if you have the thumb bar its alot harder to use your thumb as drag on the spool, i prefer the top button

18. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I'm with these guys on the thumb bar they seem to get in my way. I've been fishing Abu since the early 70's and it just becomes 2nd nature to use my left hand to push the button on top to release the spool.

19. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I'd just get a 6000. They are much cheaper and having used both I just don't see much of any difference.

20. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    The 6000 is a very user friendly reel. I have them all from 5000 to 7000 and I believe the 6000 is easy to use and it has the bait clicker. I believe its the best value.