What's the Deal?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ratkinson, Dec 14, 2007.

1. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Peolple (myself included) tout CPRing Big Fish. So far I'm good. Then when I see some of the pictures I see a live fish with a giant rope through the gills and out the mouth. Doesn't this damage the gills and stress the fish, which could result in injury and/or death of the fish at some point down the river. just curious. I dont even handle the majority of the fish I release let alone string them along on a rope. Maybe you guys know something I don't. How about some intput.

Richard

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Richard,
    I think that some folks in their haste and excitement of the moment don't realize the damage that they are causing to the resporitory system of the fish in question (I know which one you are referring too). I have also seen some folks that say they release fish yet, they have them hanging in a tree in their yard, LOL!!! This I do not understand!!!
    So in a few words....I fell your pain buddy!!!

3. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I have to give my two cents worth here about this post. I'm all about CPR'ing all the big fish I catch and Id think most would have enough common sense not to string a fish through it's gills, due to that being how the fish sustains life. But, I dont see that much of a problem with stringing one through the lower lip, done it many times and all have swam away full of life. Also, I know of some tournaments out there that require a person to have a live well to sustain a very large fish for a long period of time, because thats the rules. That rule is ok if you have a huge freaking boat with enough room for such a tank. I totally disagree with that, and thats why Ill never fish in tournaments with such rules. I have a 16 foot jon boat, a poor mans boat, and it works fine, but not big enough for a live well that big. No one will ever convince me that stringing a big cat through the lower lip causes it to die. Im all for preserving our sport, and handling these fish like babies and do it everytime I go out.Anyway, thats just my opinion on the subject.
    rspd507

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am gonna stir the pot but If you catch it and you are not gonna clean/eat it......RELEASE IT no matter what.....waste not and want not....I have been taught this from day1 of fishing and I still pratice it,THIS year anything 10 or above will be released after weighed and all others will probably be on thy din/din table.I do not like to piont fingers cause every one you piont there will be three pionting back at you and that is not good none of us are perfect!

5. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    That seems like a better option (through the lip) I never thought about it, I either kept them and strung them or I pop the hook out while they're in the water, with an occasional one held up for a picture. I never had a record cat in my boat hough. I'd like to think it wouldn't any different, but, that's all hypothetical.

Richard

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    No offense but unless your seeing all these trophy fish floating at the top you cant say for sure that they are dead. I know which pic your talking about also and frankly its none of our business what he did with it. He could have taken it home cut it up and ate if for all we would have known but he took a couple of pics and let it go. If you havnt been in the situation then IMO it sounds like your spouting sour grapes that it wasnt you. I dont think that is what your doing but that is how it sounds so sorry if you dont like hearing that.

What wouldve I done if I caught something like that I really dont know I would like to think that I would do the right thing but I can feel in my heart I would have been caught in the moment and try to get it wieghed. I try not to be hypocritical about stuff but we all do in some circumstances.

7. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    man what that guy did was put that fish best interest at heart !!!!! he didnt drag it 12 miles back to the boat ramp. he didnt kill it. he didnt even take it out of the water all the way . i gaurentee 99 % of the people on here myself included would of done worse trying to find out how much it wieghed and prolly killing it in the process that was a record fish that got released !!!!! i myself take my hat off to him on what he did . now let the guy enjoy his catch !!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Catfish are very durable.
    I don’t like to string them up unless I am going to eat them.
    But on occasion I’ve had 8 lb + catfish on a stringer that i did not intend on eating (if I don’t have my camera with me).
    It’s about a 15 min trip to get my camera and take the photos and weight, then I release them soon after..
    I always set them in the water first, to see if they have any fight left in them, and 99.9% of the time they bolt with the same amount of ambition as they had when i first caught them.

9. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    It's funny how everyone knows what pic I'm talking about when I din't even say. I've seen several and I didn't have any one in mind. As far as sour grapes you obviously don't know me. I wasn't being critical of any one individual. I just feel that if your going to preach ethics and CPR then this issue should be adressed. Sorry if you didn't like hearing that.

10. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    By the way I have the photo you are speaking of as the wallpaper on my computer at work and I tell everyone that's the kind of fish you fish yor whole life for, this guy is a great fisherman. In case you wanted to know.

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    When did I ever preach CPR and ethics??? I was just stating how the post looked. I dont preach to anyone on here or anywhere on what they should do with thier fish that they catch. I usually dont even post to them Ill rep them with a good catch or something like that. There are people on here that preach CPR but thats not me bro. Im no holy roller or super do gooder Im an ordanary guy wishing to catch something like that.

I could have worded the sour grapes part a little better so I wasnt getting personal about it but that was my goof and trying to say something on the internet but say it like I was talking right to you.

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    richard, i think its a great thread bud. i also think people should preach CPR, so it educates others. also along with the CPR pitch, they should be taught to respect and treat the fish to be released correctly. what good is it to release fish that will die anyhow? not much. just keep a cam with you so there is no need to rope it.

now for you question:

i do feel that if you were to catch a possible record fish the lower law would be the place to rope it(like rspd507 sudjested).

13. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I have a question about that, Ive seen some of the underwater cameras next to a fish (ok it was a bass :smile2:), however the bass would open its mouth real fast to create negative pressure and suck the bait in. Do catfish do the same and if so does putting a hole in the skin there prevent them from sucking in bait? Im just asking not trying to create more controversy.

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    first of all i talk cpr , and cpr all my big fish. i have been fishing local tournaments for years, and many of these tourneys have been poorly ran. some of these directors have made rules such as stringers only through the gills, because they feel trotliners would string them through the lips, then tie them up to cheat to win the tournament. i personally string mine threw the lips, or use a keep not stringing them at all.. my choice.. however, i have seen alot of these gill strung fish taken from the tourney weigh-ins and placed in local ponds around the area to be caught 2, 3 more times later by others.. so with that, i will say it isn't the best way maybe to string fish through the gills etc. but, it certainly isn't always fatal... would i do this no...but, like said my opinion is my decsion and i take care of my fish accordingly. and about the stress, all fish deal with stress from just being caught, and thats part of the catch, yes you can minimize the stresses placed on them greatly. so i guess my point is i would like to see all big fish cpred, but everyone has there own way of cpring them, and as long as people are trying to keep them alive to release i won't critisize anyone for doing such...our biggest issues are hanging from jugs and tree limbs where i live...rollo

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you have a great point gary, and if it was a proven theory or i knew for sure i wouldn't string them through the lips anymore.. good point though!! rollo:big_smile:

16. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Thanks for weighing in brother.

17. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    WELL THIS IS A GOOD SUBJECT, I THINK A STRINGER THROUGH THE BOTTOM JAW IS ALOT BETTER IF YOU GOT TO ,THAN A GUY PICKING UP THERE FISH BY THE GILLS .IT ERKS ME TO SEE GUYS DO THAT AND IT WILL TEAR TISSUE THAT WILL KILL THE FISH EVEN THOUGH HE MITE SWIM OFF, HES DONE A LITTLE INCISION IN THE BOTTOM JAW WILL HEAL BUT HE NEEDS THOSE GILLS TO SURVIVE.

18. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    WOW! Can't believe this thread has been killed! There is a time, and place for everything. I see alot of people get harrassed about THEIR fish in THEIR thread about all the CPR stuff. Here is a thread devoted to opinions about CPR, and how to handle fish...possibly a very informative thread, and it gets whacked???

Anyhoo, on the subject of running a stringer through a fish's gills...I was taught from a young age a couple practical things believe it or not lol. One was not to string fish through the gills. Not because of CPR, but because the fish (that were caught for a meal) would often die before the day was over, so I was taught to poke a hole in their lower jaw for the stringer so no fish were wasted due to an untimely death.

The fish that everyone has been talking about might have died if I caught it. I would have taken as many precautions as possible to insure that it survived, but in all likelihood, I would have made sure the fish was certified. Correct procedure or not, radish did have the fish's best intrest in mind when he released the fish without even removing it from the water. He should be applauded for his effort, and dedication to the preservation of this magnificent fish!!! If the fish was lively, and wasn't bleeding from the gills, it probably survived the ordeal in my opinion. At least it wasn't sacrificed unnecessarily, or sold to Bass Pro only to die hours later. I would rather see this fish die in it's own environment than in a transport tank. Then at least it would complete the circle of life.

My .02.

19. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My opion is MY hat is off to the man and no one is gonna change it,He done the best he could and that is all any of us can do "win-loose-or draw"it is easy to piont that finger but when the guns pionted at you you'll find out .....is the preasure too much or not? I wish everyone wouldnt of give him such neg.feedback because I am the one that pushed for the poll and wanted to know what everyone thought.....boy did I find out:angry: And was I ever wrong!

20. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Kenny,
    Often times we will post something on here with the best of intentions. A simple poll can turn into a debate in a hurry if the question or background of a question strike a nerve with people. The reaction that was brought out in that poll was brought on by the background this time, not just the subject.

I too commend him on a great catch and a possible world record fish. I just wished that he had handled the fish a little differently. I think a landing net would have been a better choice. JMHO