What's the deal?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by John Jennings, Sep 2, 2009.

1. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I went out sunday for a short period and then again on Tuesday and no luck. I went to cannelton and witnessed the mess there first hand. The weather has been unseasonaly pleasant and there was a lot of rain this year which kept the water levels unstable for months. Is there any good news coming off the river? I refuse to hit another lake out of fear of snagging a recreational boaters youngster or family member on a wake board or inner tube..the lakes have been crazy! I am frustrated this year and wonder if I am alone. What's the deal, am I doing something wrong or is it just a bum year so far?

2. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    i have been getting skunked myself on the ohio and the river traffic has been heavy to and it seems that even though they have this whole big river to boat in they have to fly 15-20 ft right next to you full throttle they have no respect i have even had them go over my lines. but you arent the only one not catchin anything im there with ya:angry:

3. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Been pretty tough around my parts,havent even heard of any big fish being caught since May.Last year was much better.Hope it gets better soon or I might just start playing golf.

4. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It can only get better, How often you fish around cannlton next time you go give me a hollar. maybe we can hook up and try to land a few

5. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    go down river away fom the damm and you find some fish!

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Just a time they dont wanna bite. Have that lockjaw.. as fall nears it will pick up.:wink:

7. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    i see some nice fish in the last 2 months. if you fish the dam fresh bait the key and drift the wall. lot of blues are holding there. or go to troy area lots of blue there to and go to the rock area above the brige.

8. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    AMEN!!!!! these guys that are stuck fishing dams dont know what they are missing ....

9. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks for the info and I will have to try some of these spots out. I must admit though I am partial to the dam, because it has produced nicely in the past. I am a creature of habit and find myself going back to the same spot over and over again! I guess if I want to catch fish I have to go where they are since they obviously aren't coming to me. Thanks again for sharing some good information.

speaking of boats running over your line, I hooked a police boat in North Carolina with 80lb braid. I cut the line and told him to check his prop which was all tangled up in about 30ft of my line. Anyway I ended the weekend run the police had with DUI's and boaters and felt pretty good about it! They were being asses to everyone and I gave a little justice back to the community! lol

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I've got the skunk blues also

11. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    95% of the time, this time of year if your looking for small fish, 10-15 lbers the dam is ok! but if your lookin for larger fish, down river away from the dam is best!

good luck

12. catfishingricky

catfishingricky Member

State:
    kentucky
    went to cloverport today and did'nt catch 1 fish dont no what the deal is had big freash shad

13. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I think I picked a bad year to start catfishing again. I've not had any luck at all since I started fishing in June, 3 lousy cats. :eek:oooh:Must be the weather, just gotta keep tryin I guess.