Whats the deal with wormy fish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by sedwick, May 19, 2008.

1. sedwick

sedwick New Member

State:
    arkansas
    My fishing buddy and i caught several bass yesterday in a small pond out in the pasture. I got them home and started cleaning them and they had little worms embedded in there flesh. Is it from stagnet water? Would they be safe to eat? I ended up burying them in my wifes flower garden. I've seen this before, but that time they were like little packets of tiny worms, these were bigger and individual.

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Welcome to the BOC Jimmy.

I think you did the right thing dead fish make good fertilizer.

I'm not sure how the fish get the worms but bream down here get them when it starts really warming up. Usually if it's just two or three in the I just pluck them out and go about my business but, if it's more I usually do the same as you did.

3. sedwick

sedwick New Member

State:
    arkansas
    well i picked a few of them out, but after they started crawling off my fellet board, that was all it took.

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Don't blame ya. They probably wouldn't hurt nothing once ya fried em up with the fish. You probably wouldn't even know they was there and the hot grease woulda killed em but why take the chance.:wink:

5. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I've been told by an "expert" that when they have parasites under their skin, it's a sign the fish are stressed. Their natural defense mechanisms in their skin are overwhelmed and the parasites take advantage.

It's usually because of poor water quality meaning there aren't enough nutrients. If it's a pond then you need to fertilize it.

6. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I have heard the same as vetrock. I usually see worms in brownies caught in creeks or in lake when the water gets hot. I am sure they are stressed.
    I have picked a few out with a filet knife and eaten them with no problem, but if they did start crawling out of the flesh, I might have figured that was too many worms for me too.
    They appear in smallmouth we catch in canada every once in a while and you know in early june, it isn't because of warm water up there.

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I found some worms in jack smelt. The ones I ate before I knew about the worms tasted ok, so I got some more. I looked for the worms and cut them out. Well I missed some and that ended the meal. I guess after cookin they won't hurt ya, but they ain't apetizing.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ive never seen these but from what ive heard they wont harm ya after cooking. i have nade it a habbit to not look to hard.:wink:

then i dont have to bury fish that are good eating.:smile2: