What's the deal with the flathead catfish in Illinois??

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by mattoonboy4, Jul 12, 2006.

1. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i started out doin very well this year but as of the past ten or so days i cant seem to catch a flatty for the life of me(except for a 2lb one the other day). r they on the nests? do i need to change bait?

2. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    Bobby - Last year I put my bankpoles in the middle of May and did well through the month of June. Things slacked off the months of July and August and picked up again in September and October when I took my poles out in the middle of October.

3. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    They probably spawning this time of year. They don't bite as well during the spawn.

4. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Dont worry...i`m feeling your pain.

5. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks guys, sounds like this is a good time to get my deer stands out in the woods.

6. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Been rough for me on the flatty's this year as well.. I've really been concentrating on Lake Sangchris this year, and taint found em yet.. I've heard of a few being pulled out of there, but I aint seen any in my boat :embarassed:

7. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    It Won't Pickup To Early To Mid August.

8. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    It's just not time right now. The channels jsut have come off in full force.

9. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I was hoping no one would say "its a bad time for Flats rite now"....Looks like i`m just gonna have to resort to crappie fishing until Aug.

10. Norm

Norm New Member

State:
    Freeport, IL
    It may just be slow. As I said in another post, a guy about 100 ft from me got about a 35 lber flathead on 7/8/06 at about 12:30 AM. I have never caught a flathead, but have just started fishing with live bluegills, and cut bluegills for larger channel catfish. The flathead was caught between Rockton and Rockford on the bank at Riverwoods Park.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    July has always been my worst month for flatheads, it should improve soon.

12. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Agree...I`ve always caught a decent amount of Flats after the month of July.Havent seen any one catch any yet this month on the river or lakes.Except for the people on this site.

13. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I aint caught a flattie yet this year

14. YankeeRebel

YankeeRebel New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like a winner Mattoonboy. I need to do the same here. I been shootin' my Bowtech Tribute and can't wait for October 1st!!!!:cool2:

15. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shoots lightnin doesnt it? October one is also on my radar my friend. Just 64 days. Where do you hunt Yank?

16. YankeeRebel

YankeeRebel New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yep. I sold my 2006 Hoyt Trykon after buying the Tribute.It's fast, quiet and is the smoothest bow I ever owned or shot.:big_smile:

I hunt in Cumberland, Clark and Edgar Counties there IL_CATFISH . Go to my profile and hit the link for my site.It's called Ultimate Bowhunter. We'd like to have any and all hunters come and join us.Check it out.

17. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    here in quincy lock and dam 21. we sit on the rocks and catch some nice ones once in a blue moon

18. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    seems like this time of year everybody is catching blues. I am gonna get me one of each before it is over.