What's the deal with the boats? Expensive Boat Prices!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by solomon, Jan 24, 2006.

1. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I've been calling around checking on prices for a new rig, and the prices are outrageous! The best I've been quoted so far for a 14' welded flat bottom jon with a 48" bottom and a 40 hp tiller steer motor is $8k. That's rediculous! Anyone know anything about where to look or what to buy that might help?

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You arent going to get any pricing over the phone, (you could be a competitor).
    You have to wheel and deal face to face.

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    find a reputable marine mechanic near you to service your boat and buy a late model used boat

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I would look for boat shows around you and check them out alot of them have show prices that may help you out some. But for a new rig a 40 hp is over half of that 8K. I was just at two show and 40 hp was over 4k there.

5. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    the best deals i found on boats were sold privately. There are some great deals out there on some great rigs, you just have to look and find them. 17' lund flat bottom, decked out, new carpet, elctronics, bow foot controled trolling motor and a 50hp Mercury all in pristine shape for $2700.00. Older man and the boat has only been used a few times a year since he purchased it, in addition he had full mainteance logs on the motor.

ALl you have to do is look around and you'll find the boat you want fo rthe price you want.

6. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    thanks guys. I've decided I'm not going to spend a dime on a boat/motor unless I can get exactly what I want. No sense in spending thousands and being disappointed in the end. One reason I was wanting new is the closest dealer told me right now mercury has a 5 year warranty on the 4stroke 40. I like that idea. I'm not real picky. I just want a welded boat with a full seat livewell, and a manual steer motor, preferably electric start. You wouldn't think that would be hard to find, but I've had trouble locating one in driving distance, and I've got an Alweld and a Weld-Craft dealer within 30 miles of me.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    On the motor look for a left over motor. Still a new motor but last years model. ASave a lot of cash.
    And on the boat keep looking I bet if you look around the dealers have a few sitting on the yard that they will deal on.
    PEte

8. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Id also suggest buying a late model used boat like phil said. Spend the money you save on that on your new motor.

9. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    yeah, I really want that new merc 40. I figure, if I every want to upgrade the size of the boat to a 15 or 16, I could keep the motor. It should push a 16 ft flatbottom boat just fine. Biggest obstacle is having the time to go to the dealer and actually look at what they've got on the floor.

10. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Just remember youll always want more room than what you have. May be worthwhile to save a lil more and get the 15 or 16 now.

11. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I agree kevin. Those two feet are worth their wieght in gold........ If your gonna bite the bullet make sure its the bullet your wanting in the first place. Alot of people buys boats and doen't use them like they thought they would and you can find a helluva deal on a newer one. If i would of bought exactly what i wanted the first time i could of saved alot of money in the long run...........

12. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    One thing that concerns me is the setup. I havn't fished out of different boats enough to know what I really want as far as the interior. I know I want plenty of livewell, but I don't know if I want it on the side or full seat. I know I don't want a console. Dry storage? Front deck? I agree with yall's advice on getting the bigger boat. I'm just nervous about spending that much money on something and then wishing it was different after I get it.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Down here the best time to shop for used boats is dead of winter when everybody that made the wrong decision last spring wants to unload.They even have a place here that you can donate your boat to and they will give you a tax receipt for the book value that you can write off on your income tax.They then sell the boats and donate the proceeds to local colleges.Look in boating magazines for large dealers that sell lots of engines.They always have deals on last years models that are brand new and you can find those ads in the back of the magazine.Trailer Boats is a good one to look in.Check the for sale ads in your local newspaer.Down here on the coast of NC its hard to find a street corner that doesn't have one or two boats for sale.Don't limit yourself to local dealers either.I would drive 500 miles to save several thousand dollars.Good luck and I repeat again the basic number one rule of boating.Whatever you have right now is TWO FEET TO SHORT.That includes the one you are thinking about buying.

14. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    If i had the chance to buy another it would be an open boat. The front would have a deck that would be lower than the top of the boat. What i'm talking about when i say that is i've seen boat with a deck raised six or so inches off the floor yet still with a pedestal with a small compartment in the very front. That way its gradual step up. Mine has the deck right at the top of the rail and its about a 18 inch step up. I'd go with a center console without a doubt. Since your wanting a tiller steer pod seating in the rear would be the way to go. Thats a seat on both sides leaving the middle open. Live well i'd put on the side if it was my choice that way you would have most of the boat open. Its up to you though, i like open floor space since fishing out of mine a while. Good luck with your choice.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you stop to think about it, there's less to wear out or go wrong with a welded jonboat than with just about anything imaginable. If a jonboat is stored out in the weather, the wood on the transom will have to be replaced, but that's about it. My 16' Lowe Bigjon is rivited, not welded; but it's 18 years old, and is as good as the day I picked it up at the factory. Yes, I've replaced the transom wood once. But I used some scrap oak, so it's probably better than new. If I had to replace it tomorrow, I'd look for an older one in good condition, rather than buying one brand new. On the other hand, the newer the outboard, the better, unless you're going really cheap.

16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Sounds like you know your boat has to be a tiller boat. But as far as a big livewell. I just sold a boat like your talking about 14ft long 52" in the bottom. high sides and a full livewell across the middle. The livewell would hold more fish then you could catch in a day or so. 100 lbs of fish would cover the botom of it.
    If it were me and I did not know for sure what kind of boat I woud need for sure. I would be looking for a used boat. That will work with your motor, Tthen upgrade the boat later.
    Also its going to be hard to find a 14ft boat that will be rated for a 40 hp. I know when the Old motor I had on the 14ft john above took out.(It was rated for a 30hp) I was looking for at least a 40 hp motor. AS I was looking at new boats and was going to try to buy one the next year But could not find a motor that I felt safe with on the 14ft boat. So I went with a 25 hp Yamaha 4-stroke tiller.
    So make sure what ever you buy that the boat is rated for that motor. And try to find one that will fit your needs. Also you can take a standard john boat and fix it about andy way you like it to be.
    Also one ideal. Theres a guy here that fishes out of a 1860 Polarcraft tunnel hull john. He found the boat down in MS. And it was new but 5 years old. He picked it up for $1800 bucks and fixed it the fit his needs.

Pete

17. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Dont forget to check some of the small boat dealers around you , sometimes they will get a good trade in. And some will specialize in good used boats. I have been looking at a new boat for a while now and agree, the price for a new one is outrageous. Looked at a new pontoon and thought a little high maybe I could swing it, and then the salesman says do you want the trailer its extra. Gotta read the smaller than usual print. And could so explain to me why a large out board motor can cost more than a small new car:rolleyes:

18. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Triton , war eagle, polar kraft and others will build you what you want the way you want it.

19. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have a 2005 17' triton duck boat which I love for catfishing, it has a t-lock system on the sides which gives you all kinds of options to bolt things to it. Mine has a trolling motor on the front, depthfinder, livewell, dry storage, gun/rod box. Side console, 75hp merc 4 stroke with stainless prop, drafts shallow and runs about 44mph wide open. Check them out on triton.com I got it for a little over 14k

20. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Well, I went to the dealer again today, and decided on a Alweld 1648 flatbottom, with 12" front deck extension with bottom access, 46" center seat aireated livewell, and 24" dry storage box in one side of the rear seat. Tohatsu 40 TLDI tiller steer model with electric start, and power tilt/trim. Now I gotta go to the bank:crying: