whats the deal with catching flathead catfish in july??!??

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by brandonbtbt, Jul 22, 2009.

1. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH
    so tonight me and 2 buddies fished two different spots at salt fork for 7 hours only getting one run.... at any given time we had nine poles in the water.... before we started fishing my one buddy said a fishing guide from SE ohio told him fishing the lake is a waste of time right now from the hot weather, and no rain....

the spots we fished were shallow flats close to channels...

he said we should be fishin the creek (or whats left of it) and i somewhat think he's right... i also think we should have gone deeper than we did... what do you all think??!?!?!

2. sweeney22

sweeney22 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fished an area of Charles Mill Lake close to the marina where there is a deep drop off and no luck at all. As it got pretty late I decided to walk to the other side of the road where it is more of a shallow flat. There were some big fish feeding so I hooked up a fresh bream (Bluegill) and got a good run. My buddy had to go (I was his ride) so I had to leave. It was about 3:00am anyhow. So if anyone is headed out there I would try the shallows first. (the gills where pretty good size)

3. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    THE CATS TAKE JULY OFF TO REST UP.
    3 PEOPLE = 9 POLES ??
    3 PEOPLE SHOULD BE 6 POLES..
    YOU MIGHT CATCH A GAME WARDEN AND PAY A BIG TICKET.:sad2:
    SOMEONE WHO WAS OUT THERE THE OTHER DAY TOOK ALL THE CATS OUT OF SALTFORK BE USEING 50 JUGS..:crazy:

4. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There are a lot of factors right now that can affect fishing. The weather has been strange this year. The spawn seems to be going later than in years past. I know that in a spot I was fishing in the northern part of GMR, I ws catching rock bass that still had eggs. From what I have read, the rock bass have usually spawned by june. In Lakes, the lack of rain means lack of water flow and oxygen. The fish will be in areas that the water is moving. Also, thermocline plays a role in this too. I think part of the problem in the GMR is because some dumbass dumped motor oil in the river near the moraine dam. I didn't see the person do it, but I called to report it. Anyway, the fish are there... the patterns just change. Big catfish relate to schools of bait fish, find the bait fish and find the big cats.