Whats the cleanest lake in Kansas?

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by GrandpaGoneFishing, Apr 26, 2009.

1. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I was down at Sugar Valley Lake last week, Helping my folks get there pontoon up and running and Helping them get a new dock planned out with the guy who's going to be building it. He was telling me that the big lake there was the cleanest in Kansas. Not sure thats true but after taking the pontoon for a trip around the lake I'm not sure he isn't right. I bet I could see at least 10 - 15 feet down into the lake. Saw lots of nice fish and plenty of bait fish. Looks like its going to be some good fishing there this year. the carp are fixen on breeding right now so I'm going to head back down there and pull some channels out among the breeding carp.
    What do you consider the cleanest lake in Kansas? :0a28:​

2. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Clean in water quality standards? None like that in my area. It would be nice if people didn't leave their trash everywhere on the shore too.

3. GrandpaGoneFishing

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Isn't that the Truth. When i go out fishing no matter were or with who. I always try to leave it cleaner than when I got there. Wish every one would do this. :0a24:​

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Tough call.. Of the big reservoirs, Melvern has the clearest water I've seen, but I haven't been to all of the reservoirs in KS. None that I've been to compare to the clear water in lakes like Table Rock and Stockton jus across the border in Missouri.

5. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I'm curious of the water clarity down at the mined land wildlife area. Usually those mine pits are crystal clear. Would love to try fishing that sometime.

6. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Casey,
    I'll let you know in June. I'm planning a trip down there. My wife has some family down that way. We are going down there to fish err I mean visit them. :smile2:

7. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Ive fished the pits a lot in years past and every one is different in some way.Some are clear some are murky.Some are good for cats and some for crappie or bass.Its a really unique place.Dont give up if one pit doesnt produce the one next to it might be hot.

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Jay , it seems like the rockier lakes with some natural spring water inflow tend to be the cleanest. Tough to find those in Kansas. Melvern does have alot of rocks on the bottom, therefore its good looking water there. A muddy lake usually is darker murkier water. :cool2:

9. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    in topeka it would probably be White Lakes :wink:

10. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas

I've never seen water like the water at Stockton Lake in MO!

As for KS lakes, I've always heard that Wilson Lake is the cleanest lake in KS. Surrounded by tallgrass prarie that acts as a filter, I can believe it.

11. jacobsuenram

jacobsuenram New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I haven't been to every reservoir in Kansas but I fished Wilson in March and have to agree that it's got to be one of the cleanest.

12. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    Wabunsee lake is the cleanest,clearest lake i have ever seen year round.

13. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Wabaunsee is a great lake and the water does maintain clarity year round. All of the water around Lake Wabaunsee is filtered by prarie grass. I question the cleanliness of Lake Wabaunsee during the summer because of the high volume of boat traffic.

14. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    im going to have to agree and say wilson. i fish it quite a bit and when we fish on the dam you can see way down into the water. its got some pretty clean water in my opinion. still dont do anygood for yer stomach though. i accedently took a glug and ended up pukin lol

15. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I've been to Clinton several times and found it to be pretty clean except during the flood a few years back.

16. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    To much.:smile2::smile2: And thanks for not adding the Mall part to the name.

17. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Wilson definitely.But Banner Creek north of Topeka has really clear water. We were crappie fishing there one time and I could see the bottom and the depth finder read 12 foot.My parents had a place at Stockton for 30 years and I never saw bottom over 10 feet.But clear water can make for spooky fish and difficult fishing.If you can see them they can see you and the fish tend to be much deeper which makes them harder to find and harder to catch.Sechi disk a white wooden disk on a rope is what they use to measure water clarity. The soil composition does not allow aquatic vegetation at most of our bigger lakes and that doesnt help the muddiness any.Plus look at how murky the rivers are to begin with.

18. 257bob

257bob New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas
    When I was in college in Pittsburg, I found a strip pit that you could easily see 20ft. You could also see that there were no living things in it either. There was a cedar tree laying across the bottom with zero moss or any other thing growing in the water. A co-worker who had lived there his whole life told me it had some sort of acidic soil that kept it barren not sure if that was true but it was one of the wildest things I've ever seen.

19. GrandpaGoneFishing

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Thanks you all for your input. Its been very educational. going to just have to start hitting different lakes and rivers as possible, and meet as many of you as I can.
    :0a22:​

20. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Come out to the Gathering Jay. :big_smile: