What's the best way??

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Powhatan, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Seeing that we're going to have a mini tournament this weekend..I am wondering about the best way to keep a big cat alive if we happen to get one early in the morning? Any thoughts? I don't want to spend a bunch, but I also don't want to kill any fish..

Any help would be appreciated.

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    You could try mouth to mouth.

J/K

If you don't have a live well big a really big ice chest with a couple of cheap aerators will do the trick or a big live sack if ya can find one.

3. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Meet us at the ramp and I will let you handle that...:roll_eyes:

4. BROWNING7MMMAG

BROWNING7MMMAG New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    A LARGE COOLER WITH A LIVEWELL PUMP IS WHAT I USE AND WORKS VERRY WELL.

5. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Chris this is also what we are using im trying to locate the website where it shows how to make one. When i find it i will post it hopefully today.

6. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks... I found the link..

http://www.virginiacatfish.com/Livewell.htm

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i use a 140 gal live tank with a aqua-lung system no problems ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Chris sorry i couldnt find it earlier just got off work and had to get some sleep was dead tired.:eek:oooh:

9. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Mesh laundry sacks work great to keep fish alive in tournaments. you can fit a pretty good size fish in one.

10. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    powhatan,
    I am a scrounger by nature and I have built a live well from a old plastic tub with a live well pump at the bottom ,with a screen over the intake This pumps up a short hose up to a 90 PVC fitting back into the tank thru a 1/2" PVC pipe. This pipe is caped on the end and small holes are drilled into the side of the pipe pushing the water back into the tank. This circulates and aireates the water and has kept big cats ( up to 47" long ) alive and kicking all day on a tournament. I also "found" a stainless steel top which just happened to fit perfectly
    The tournaments do not alllow tubs , barrels or sacks.
    I have two alligator clips on long leads to the battery and hook them up as needed.
    The big cats regurgitate when held in the tank for a while so you need to change the water on a regular basis , I installed a drain plugin the bottom and hose to drain over the side.If you dont change the acid from the cats stomach will burn the gills and the fish will die.
    If you go to the VCA website they have a article showing how to use a large cooler to do this
    I have maybe 20 bucks tied up in the pump , screen and fittings . the rest I aquired in my travels.
    I have this tank set up a dry storage until I need it for a live well.It is easily removable and available for loan if I am not fishing that day.
    If you need it I will loan it out