Whats the best way to thaw out some frozen catfish to eat?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by lovedasmelloffish, Dec 5, 2009.

1. lovedasmelloffish

lovedasmelloffish New Member

State:
    California
    My buddies want to have a fish fry tonight. I have some 5-6 lb cats that have been gutted/skinned/beheaded frozen that I didn't fillet. Whats the best way to thaw them out? Just sitting out room temp or soaking in some salt water?

We are going to cook some jalapenos and purple onions in a big burner filled with oil to get the oil nice and flavored up and then dip the fish in a thick beer batter and deep fry them. Then use the jalepenos and onions on tacos!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    We just set them out at room temp.

BB in SC

3. lovedasmelloffish

lovedasmelloffish New Member

State:
    California
    That's what I usually do as well. I was just thinking I would pick all these minds on BOC and see if there's other options. TY sir!

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I always fillet mine and put them in vacuum bags. I just set the bag in cold water until they thaw and then soak them in salt water.

5. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I set the frozen fish out at room temp as well.I am sure that letting them thaw overnight in the fridge would be better , but what man plans that far in advance.lol I tried to do a fast thaw by running the fillets under warm water once, that didn't work to well....

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    If'in I was you, I do the fillet of the fish when they are thawed.. then you can clean out the lateral line some... chunk out the fish, and do the "milk" thing and then you are ready to go... but you can always just chunk em and dip em...

Merry Christmas

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I

DIDDO !!!!!!!!!!!:big_smile:

8. lee

lee Well-Known Member

State:
    missouri
    water soaking will make the fish mushy in texture and it won't eat as well...
    may fall apart in the cooking process...
    take the bag and put it in a cold sink of water as it floats...
    for fastest thaw...
    thaw in fridge for a day or two...
    vacuum seal is best...they thaw quick in an empty sink...watch the cats!!!:smile2:
    bitty & lee

9. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Yep, ditto on the vacuum bags as well. In fact, I think that vacuum sealers are a dream-come-true for preserving fish more than any other food!

If you didn't freeze the fish in vacuum bags, or don't have a sealer, you are still in luck. Put your frozen fish in a zip-loc bag, press most of the air out, then place the bag in water that's about room temperature--not too warm. The water conducts the warmth into the fish far faster than air, while the bag prevents the fish from getting mushy.

10. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    thats how i do it as well.

11. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Run Cold water over them. Depending on how many bags you have,you can either put them in the sink or the bath tub and run the cold water over them. I have real good luck thawing fish out fast using this method.