Whats the best way to smoke a turkey?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by dannybcc, Apr 8, 2006.

1. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hello,
    And I already know they are hard to fit into a pipe and dont lite well.
    I have smoked one wild turkey in my Oklahoma Joe Smoker and it came out like shoe leather. I would assume you should leave the skin on. What temp is preferred and how long at that temp? I used charcoal to get the heat up and then mostly wet Hickory chips. I smoked at around 260-275. Should you baste with anything? What about seasoning? And anything else I might be missing. Any help would be appreciated.
    Monday is opening day here in Iowa and hopefully Monday I will be able to join our "shoot em in the face club"

Tight Lines
    Danny J

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I like to roll them up but it is hard to find big papers.

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You may need to keep water under the turkey as it smokes. If not water, you pick, anything liquid. about 1 hour before it's done put you taters and vegies in the liquid.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i leave the skin on and smoke them at a temp of 175f i also keep a pan of water in the smoker too so the bird does not dry out. i smoke two or three turkeys a year.the temps you used is way and i mean way to high

5. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    My sis in law smokes roasting hens but she stands a can of beer on the rack and sit the birds rear end over the can. Guess it steams the inside as it smokes. Always tender and juicy and gooooooooooood

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I smoke my turkeys at about 225 degrees. I cut up a few apples and stuff them inside the turkey for flavor and to help keep it from drying out. I also inject some cajun butter into the breasts. I prefer applewood as my choice of wood for smoking. This woods gives a light and sweet flavor to any poultry.

7. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    applewood is a good wood i also still like hickory and mesquite a lot there are some good woods out there.

8. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    i aint never had a smoked bird maybee thell be some at the national gathering.

9. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    LMAO! Might wanna give Zig Zag a call, you might be on to something here!:rolleyes:

10. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I inject my turkey skin on and then set it in the smoker. I start out hot about the temp you were at then cool it down to around 200. I have a temp guage in the bird that has a wire so I can see the temp without opening my smoker. As soon as the temp is hit I remove the bird. I have also used a beer can. A foster can works great for turkeys.

11. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Do a google search for Turkey Brine, a brine will load that bird up with moisture...........I've done turkey and chickens with a brine and it really does the trick. Also, if you leave the skin on, try and let the skin on the bird dry out over night. Dry skin really helps you get a crispy skin at smoker temps. Rubbery skin is just a waste of good rub:)

12. Oldtroll

Oldtroll New Member

State:
    King NC.
    There are lots of good ways to do a tukey.
    The one that I like the best is.
    Rub the bird with fine ground red pepper, and garlick powder, cut a med onion in half, put it inside the bird.
    Smoke at about 200 for 4 to 6 hours or till done..

13. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    Merle is right on! some apples and onions inside will help. i lay a few strips of bacon over the top, kind of self basting. good luck, turkey is great when its done right!!

14. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I stuff the turkey with peel oranges, put a pan in the cooker filled with apple juice or cider, you can also inject your turkeys.

chris

15. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Hey Chris you ever try a dark malt in the pan too? I am not a drinker at all but man does it give the bird or tritip etc your smoking a nice taste too.

16. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    how big are the papers ur using to smoke the turkey lol

17. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    twice the size of the ones from the old cheech and chong records. and for the younguns that dont know what a record is it was a big black round piece of flat vinyl that we played on record players.:p

18. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    to funny merle i coughed out my smoke from my turkey lol

19. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    OVEN-SMOKED TURKEY

1 (10 to 12 lb.) turkey
    1/4 c. salad oil
    1/2 c. salt
    2 tbsp. liquid smoke
    1 c. vinegar
    1/4 c. pepper
    2 tsp. finely chopped parsley

Rinse turkey; pat dry with paper towels, make a paste of salad oil and salt; rub 1/4 cup of the mixture on inside and neck cavity of turkey. Truss turkey, brush with additional oil. Place on rack in roaster, breast side up. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hours.
    Combine remaining salt paste; liquid smoke; vinegar; pepper and parsley. Baste turkey with vinegar mixture. Bake for 3 hours and 30 minutes or until turkey is tender. Basting with vinegar mixture every 30 minutes. Let turkey stand for at least 15 minutes before carving.

20. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    For an effortless shortcut to a delicious meal, plan on a smoked boneless turkey breast available at the meat counter in your supermarket. Just add wine and paprika to accent the flavor during baking. A taste-filled blend of sauteed vegetables makes a nice accompaniment. For 6 servings you will need:

1 pkg. (1 lb.) smoked boneless turkey breast
    1/2 c. white wine
    Paprika

SAUTEED VEGETABLES:

1 each red & green pepper, sliced
    1 zucchini, cut into rounds
    1 onion, sliced
    3 tbsp. butter
    Salt & black pepper

1. Place turkey breast on a rack in an oiled baking pan. Pour in wine. Sprinkle with paprika.
    2. Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes or until heated through.

3. Meanwhile, prepare vegetables. Heat butter in saucepan. Add vegetables. Stir and cook over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes or until tender-crisp. Salt and pepper to taste.

4. Slice thin slices of turkey and accompany with the sauteed vegetables.

Tips: The ready-to-eat turkey breast can be sliced and served cold with a green salad or Salad Waldorf.

Good served with: Potatoes Anna and strawberry pie for dessert.