Whats the best way to skin larger catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by khershey, May 15, 2006.

1. khershey

khershey New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Anybody know of a good way to skin the larger cats between 6 to 10 lbs? Many Thanks in advance.
    That 6 lber was a job hehe.:sweat:

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use an electric knife. IT makes real easy work of filleting the skin off the cats.
    thanks
    Larry

3. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    On fish over 5 or 6 pounds I hang'em up and pull the skin off with pliers, then cut the fillets off while hanging, kind'a like cutting the tinderloin out of a deer.

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Khershey, I filet all my cats first, then I lay the filet on a flat surface and filet the white meat off the skin. This gets the red meat off the filet as well as the skin, all that is left is to V out the mudline in the lateral line section. Vern

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    It is a pain to skin the cats with pliars before you fillet them, but I do such a better job that way than filleting them first then the cuttting the fillet off the skin!!

I NEED A LESSON IN CUTTING THE SKIN OFF A FILLET!!! LOL!!

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I still do it the old fashioned way. Cut thru the skin down the back(both sides of the dorsal fin), then around behind the head. Once you get a piece started and wrap some around your needle nose pliers, it comes off pretty easy.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I use a pair of craftsman arc joint pliers, best thing ive ever used for that. they DONT slip and dont seem to tear the skin. Cut them like willie said grab some skin grab it by the back of the head were it gets soft and pullllll!

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    im with vernon on this. fillet it then cut ALL the red meat off. you will be amazed at the better flavor when its nothing but white meat. you get most of the contaminates off that way too.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I too fillet them first. Hint- Don't completely remove first fillet till you are done with the other side, if you are using a board.
    On bigger fish I don't pull them across a knife, I just use the fish pliers. Hint- Pull skin from the tail forward,it wont tear the meat.

10. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Fillet, Fillet, Fillet !!!

Then remove meat from the skin. Cut through the fat between the skin and the meat.

11. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I use pliers to remove the skin, then I fillet them.

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :lol: LOL I GUESS THE REASON THAT I SKIN THEM FRIST THAT IS THE ONLY WAY THAT I WAS EVER TAUGHT. YOU KNOW THE OLD SAYING(CAN'T TEACH AN OLD DOG NEW TRICKS) HOW EVER THIS OLE DOG JUST MUGHT HAVE TO TRY SOME OF THESE NEW TRICKS I'VE BEEN READING ABOUT. MIGHT BE EASIER. THANKS. YOUALL HAVE A GREAT DAY.

13. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    I still do it the old fashioned way. My dad taught me this and I still use it today. I have a 2x8 and I drive a nail thru the head. Cut behind the gill plate and down the middle and pull the skin off with pliers. It workd great as long as you do not drive the nail in to far. It's a pain trying to remove the nail when there is a big ole head attached to it.

14. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    All we do is: Hang the fish up from a very large hook tied to a tree limb. Then, use a decent pair of fish skinners (the ones we use look like a pair of duckbill pliers). We make two cuts just through the skin at the base of the back of the head--they look like this ^ ...then spin the fish around and do the same thing (just about parallel with the gills) again like this ^ so that the cuts meet on the lower ends. Then you grab ahold of the slits you made on the back of the head and pull down. Continue skinning the back and sides of the fish. When all you have left is a patch on the belly of the fish, make sure you pull it UPWARDS. If you pull it down, that wonderful belly strip will come off with the skin. Next we gut the fish. Then we lay it down on a board and fillet it off the bone.

Probably not the easiest way to do it, but that's how we do it 'round here!

15. khershey

khershey New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    :big_smile_2: Many Thanks all. We will give it a try. Got a little 2 lber today.

16. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    This is the same method i use as well.Im sure there is an easier way but this is just what im used to and how ive always done it.i dont think there is a real easy way.

17. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    YEP,LIKE,ARLINGTON & PATRICK SAID,THE OLD FASHION WAY!:smile2:

18. black_sheep01

black_sheep01 New Member

State:
    Ky
    to skin or not to skin that is the question , if it is a larger catfish then 6 to 10 lbs , let it go and save you some time and save our recorces , if it weighs more then 10 lbs then the meat is to contaminated to eat anyway.

19. BhamRoadrunner

BhamRoadrunner New Member

State:
    Alabama
    So basically you're saying we shouldn't eat any catfish over 6lbs? :confused2:

20. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I like to fillet the fish first then use a long fillet knife and have the fillets skin side down and run the fillet knife back and forth between the meat and skin starting with the tail and working toward the front, having the fillet on a cutting board makes it easy.

When pulling the skin from a cat thats hanging sometimes a little meat would come off and I would have to refillet the area to continue the skinning. Both ways work I just like the first I listed best.