Whats the best way to handle a snapping turtle?

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by flannelman, Mar 27, 2006.

1. flannelman

flannelman New Member

i got a lot of these big snappers in my local pond and would love to take some for cookin. what is the best way to handle one of these big guys out of the water? i dont feel like gettin bittin by one cause i know the damage they can do. i like my fingers just where they are.

2. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    We used to pick them up by the tail, before doing so we usually got something like a stick and let the snapper bite it before picking it up. There neck is very long so watch out it almost seems as if they can reach back to get you, but I don't think they can, they never did with us anyway.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    safest is to grab by the tail. or you can grab hold of his shell about 3/4 of the way back from the head (look at my avatar), wear some leather gloves and hold on tight. when you have hold of their shell they will dig with their hind legs and nails trying to pry you loose (reason to wear thick leather gloves). be careful and keep him away from your body, especially the "private" area :eek: their necks have one heck of a reach!

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    what is the best way to handle one of these big guys out of the water?

Let someone else do it.

5. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Or you could bash there head in alittle, since you want them for dinner anyway. I did this once and put the turtle in a metal washtub full of water for a day and thought he was dead, he was as alive as could be---they're hard to kill.

6. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    The safest way is not to touch them. LOL, Or if your that crazy cut it's head off first.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    A 22cal. pistol works wonders for their attitudes, LOL!!!

8. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    the once i have caught i always just held the tail or like somebody said just hold on to the shell aaround the back legs.watch them buggers there necks seem to be as long as they are and there chomp looks like it could leave a mark or even lop something off.;)

9. KentE

KentE New Member

State:
    GA
    Funny,

I'm new here and just figured out how to upload a picture. Then I saw this thread :)

I caught this bugger in a little creek in North Georgia with ultra-light gear and six lb test (I was bottom fishing for small cats). Last one I'll take out of any water, they're mean!

Kent

ps I was wondering if I get an e-mail notification when someone replies to something I've written?

10. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We always used a dog catch pole . put the loop around his head and put him in a sack, there most always to put in a cooler.................

11. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    they are most always to BIG to put in a cooler (sorry).........

12. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    My question is: Why would ya want to get a hold of'em ?
    Had one bite the tip of my shoe off when I was a kid. Thought he got toes too ! After that, I leave them alone.......

13. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    I just pull their neck out while the hook is in their mouth and cut their head off
    that's the way I handle them.

:cat:

14. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Amen brother!!!! That sure does seem to get the point across, now doesn't it !!!!

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Let it bite a stick, hold the head up, then slit the throat.

Hang it by the tail to drain the blood.

Be sure to put it in a tub of clean water for a couple of days, changing the water each day. It helps to flush them out.

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    One more thing, it will still bite after the head is off.

Just ask my dog.

And another thing, they are like catfish in that the bigger they are the more toxins they hold. So in other words you are btter off eating the smaller ones.

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Grab them by the tail with their belly toward you !
    I put one in the back of my truck one night for safe keeping. Maybe two hours latter I went to the truck for something, any way I forgot that he was in there and as I reached over the tail gate, he jumped up and just missed my arm! :eek: Now how high is a ford tail gate? and I wasn't reaching down, man he was in there just waiting all of that time to nail me! :mad: As it turned out he never got another chance, tasted pretty darn good too ! :D

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

I hope so Ace! you would pay H E double L if you tried to take the hook out first ! lol :eek:

19. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Just keep All body parts away from the mouth, and watch out for the claws they will tare you up. Plus watch out even after you cut there heads off, they can still take your finger off even thought the head is detached. :eek:

20. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    saw something on tv last night. a guy was measuring the bite strength of different animals. alligator snapping turtle came in 3rd behind lions, and crocodiles. 1004 pounds per square inch. the 20 ft. crocodile they tested was all tired out n bit 2500 pounds per square inch. dunno why he didnt test an alligator. they have a broader snout n seems would have more jaw strength. BTW, a rottweiler beat out the infamous pit bull.