Whats the best way to fish a river in the fall?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by recordbreakin1, Oct 14, 2008.

1. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I was wondering if any body could tell me a good method of fishing a big river during the fall and winter months.I was going to try to drift it like a lake but thought I would ask for some advice first.Any info would help thanks.

2. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    i'm no expert, but i've had good success finding bends in a river with deep holes.

this works for me when the water temps drop down.

warm water, i give up for now.

vaughn

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I like fishing sudden drop offs from shallow to deep water. These transition areas produce well in the fall

4. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    jesse deep holes. the fish want to conserve enegry and maximze food intake. this means put the bait in their face (but keep it small....chunks) and be ready for light hits on your rod, good luck.

5. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've been having good success using fresh cut Bluegill chunks. Also, If you can stand it, try throwing on a raincoat, carry an umbrella and try fishing while it's raining. I tied my PB last week with a 28 lb. flattie on a very rainy day using the cut Bluegill.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Drift the deepest water once the water gets below 50 degrees and you should be able to locate them with no problems

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Find the groceries and you will find your fish. Trust your Sonar. Mark lots of bait and the Bigguns shouldn't be to far away. I say this with tongue in cheek. My last two trips fishing have been way less than spectacular.:sad2:

8. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    We been suffering on the Ar, river as well.......the last few times out..there moving....I agree on trusting the graph though why pay big-bucks & not trust them??? Last time out we finally found some on the graph in a 22ft hole.....my buddy had his 30lb electric blue trilene busted with about 2ft of solid slime on the line:eek:oooh::tounge_out: close...but no cigar!!:smile2:

9. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    I fish the MS river in the winter and I find eddies where the water temp is a bit warmer and use a big bait.

10. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Personally,I would fish it with a rod and reel. Just kidding,I have no idea. We don't have big rivers here. But,I would like to know.

11. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I would say drift deep water as long as conditions allow. Locate the baitfish and the targeted fish will be there. If the water is high and rolling, look for eddie holes near creek mouths and any current breaks that may be nearby. Use the freshest bait possible. Hope this helps you some.

12. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Depends alot on the Species of cat and what the area you are fishing in has to offer. I only know where I fish on the Potomac River for Blue Cats, my tactics vary little from Spring thru early Fall. I have noticed that the fish tend to move shallower in the late fall thru winter . They feed in as little as 3 ft of water on the mud flats at times. Following the bait movement is critical this time of year. Find the areas where the bait winters up and you will find hungry big Blues ready to gorge themselves on them. Blues in particular are far the easiest to pattern this time of year and will feed agressivly through out the Winter months. I've found That water temps in the low 40's to about 38 degrees to be the best. Seems like the bite falls off at around 36 degrees. For me Big River, Big blues this works for me. Good luck and Keep fishing