Whats the best time to use slip bobber rigs for cats

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by big papa, Oct 8, 2007.

1. big papa

big papa New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    hey all im new to the site and have gotten some pretty useful adivise from it. but i was wondering when is the best time to use slip bobber rigs for cats

2. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    The only time I would use them is bankfishing very deep water,when the cats are suspended in the thermocline.I have never been in such a situation myself ,I either fish on bottom or 3-5 feet deep,with a regular bobber.I don't know of any banks/bluffs I fish on that are deep enough for me to use them.I'm intrested to hear from others on this,thanks for the thread Papa:big_smile:

3. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would use slip bobbers if I am fishing over 5' deep when the cats are known to be suspended or when fishing stink bait over a chummed hole. I would set the bobber stop so the bait is roughly 6" to 1' above bottom so the bait is in their face. I would use soured wheat for chum because the liquor off wheat is what is commonly used in most dip bait or punch baits, along with fermented cheese etc.

catman george

4. big papa

big papa New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thanks for the for the tips. im heading to lake eufala in a couple weeks and i know of some areas with deep water near the bank. depending on the conditions i will have to try it. my father and i do alot jugging in this area and do really good. im not big on jugging but my dad likes it. just makes me mad seeing those big old cats on jug knowing it could have beenon my rod. lol

5. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i've been slip corking forever, the only time i wouldn't use one is when it's to rough or windy to not see a big cork, and have used them in over 70ft of water from boats, you can adjust slip corks to any depth you want, blues are mostly suspended anyways, but i usually use 3 , with one set just below , and in the middle , and jjust above, where the bait fish is and then just adjust all three to where the most action is, but that is i mainly target for blues

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lance Welcome to the BOC. I look forward to your post.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've been using slip floats forever also. I shore fish and love them when I can use them. Its a good poor mans way of drift fishing if your are able to walk down the bank. I run it till it hits the bottom them bring it up 1 or 2 feet. Any bait work good.

8. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    Do you find that you have better luck using the slip bobbers vs fishing on bottom? or is it a preference?

9. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    If you can effectively use them yes they will work better. I use a 5" float ( wood one ) Carolina rig using a 3/8slip sinker. Use any bait you want but a live bait is nice because he wont hang up on ya while trying to hide. I say its a must try for a shore fisherman. I always have a stopper on my rig already in case I want to use one. If its slow I always end up on bottom because I'm not about to chase a bobber around current for 12 hours. I would much rather sit down and relax. Hope this helps ya buddy...G'luck

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Slip corks can be fished in a lot of situations. We use them sometimes to fish straight down at a set depth next to a tree baited with live bait or cut bait. We use them fishing at a set depth from the bank to fish up in the generators below a dam. We use them drift fishing either with the current,wind or dragging behind the boat. We use them set a 1 foot depth fishing 2 ft. water in the weed beds. I could go on and on but slip corks are a great tool for catching catfish and the only limitations to when and how you can fish them is your imagination. They can be used to target Blues, Flatheads and channel cats. By far the best cork i've used is the ones that Gene Chambers sells on this site.

11. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Can anyone say how to rig the slip bobber rig?

12. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Check out the video section. Big George shows ya what to do.

13. Wiz199

Wiz199 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The best time I've found for using them is in the Fall when the days are hot-warm and the nights are cool. When the temp starts falling the FH's will come up to the damns and go shallow and you can kill them with slippers at about 5ft deep.

14. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    When the wind is blowing, like it tends to do here every once and a while, I like to rig a Catbobber so that I can drift the bait from the bank. Those are really nice floats. You can cast them a mile and they will float a heavy bait. The wind will make them move just like a slow drift.

15. papasfishing

papasfishing New Member

State:
    cleveland,oklahoma
    bobbers work good march&april,in mud flats using kahle hooks and beef liver for channels

16. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    hrmm, I use a Katbobber in all kinds of different situations, bank or boat...

If I wanna to float the bait 1-3' off the bottom. If I'm fishing the damn face thats loaded with riprap I float it right above the riprap to minimize snags and entice bites. I've used it to float my bait up next to brush piles. I used it to "Drift fish" from the bank (letting the wind push the bobber across the water to cover more area).. I've lip hooked whole dead blue gill and threw it out as we were slow trolling...I've used it to "find" the fish when fishing from the bank...

You can use em for many many things at many many times..

17. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Welcome, Lance! It's great to see another Okie on the BOC!

I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts...:smile2:

Albert