whats the best time to start flat fishing the allegheny river

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by bullhead bill, Apr 14, 2009.

1. bullhead bill

bullhead bill New Member

State:
    pa
    I already caught some cats on easter. the river was high and current swift. caught 3 channels on chicken liver. tried suckers,bullheads,and had some bites but no luck. still had nice time with pap.

2. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    wonderful, welcome to the BOC. Where are you fishing (no specifics, but are you way down in the burgh or up towards kitanning)?

but I do have a continuos temperature reading from the dam, and I predict things will be in high gear by 50°F. last time I checked we were nearing 41°. other people have been seeing some lower temps with scott recently posting 38°... various books and post I have seen roughly say 45°-50°+ and that seems to be the better way of knowing when to big up the big equiptment.

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Welcome Bill! Where you at on the allegheney?

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Its usually May before I start getting into the Flatheads on the Allegheny. Water is too darn cold till then! :sad2:

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Bill, 3 weeks ago when the water temp was 50 to 53 degrees, we started catching Flatheads over here in Ohio on the muskingum river. Check out the threads. Largest so far was Rollo's 35 pounder.They are moving around now. good luck.

6. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    why is it that western pennsylvania river temps us always are so much colder than ohio?:confused2:
    perhaps its that northern PA is so wooded, or maybe kinzua itself, causes it retaining the cold water deep into the spring. at any rate I don't think you'll find 50-55° water anywhere near the middle alleghany. by the looks of it, even fishing far downstream in the Ohio near the line, hasn't yielded too many flats (though at 50°, they've got to be getting close).

perhaps you're best bet, if you need that flathead fix is to travel to ohio, buy an out of state license and go for some of their monsters.

at any rate, if I needed to fish for flats, I'd go as far downstream as possible; or maybe take the long drive for the southeast:cool2:

7. bullhead bill

bullhead bill New Member

State:
    pa
    I put in below lock 2 around 10' oclock sunday.

8. bullhead bill

bullhead bill New Member

State:
    pa
    lock 2