What's the best time to fish for catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Joe4BigCats, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Joe4BigCats

Joe4BigCats New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kans
    Now I've always thought that when it's raining is the best time to fish..... is that the case or are there other way's to know when the best times are..??

2. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I have found they do seem to bite better when it is raining and as the water is on the rise..but as another BOC brother said before..the best time to fish is any time you can!

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    When they're bitin'. Sorry, couldn't resist.:wink: I'm with Dave, I fish any time I can. I fish almost totally at night over the summer and my absolute favorite time to fish is after the river and weather have been calm and stable for a week or so. Seems like the longer it stays stable, the better the bite gets.

When I do daytime fish, I love cloudy, overcast days. I'll fish in the rain, but it's a hassle.

Thing to remember is if you stay home because you think the weather/water/moon, whatever isn't right, you can be sure you won't catch any fish. Good Luck!

Branden

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    At night is the best time,but after a rain is good at the mouths of feeder creeks and tributaries.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Whenever I can get out and go is the best times for me...:wink::smile2:

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If I have a trip planned thats usually when I fish, I plan my trips around work and can't change that but if I were to pick a time morning and evening to about 10. Seems to be the best time for a bite

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have yet to catch a flathead when its raining. Believe me I have sat out in T-Storms all night with Lightning hitting both banks of the river, Huddled under my hood and bailing out my boat every 20 minutes cause the water was 3 inches deep lol. I have yet to even get a run under such conditions on the river. Might be different on a lake. I have sat out in all night ThunderStorms where a few hours into it a whole 40ft tree will cruise by your boat roots and leaves and all. All I got to say is BE CAREFUL on the river. I have had this happen twice. I got one on video. But the first time was when I was anchored behind a bridge support, and this tree went past about 1:30 am in fast and rising water. I could have touched the trunk with my rod tip. I left soon afterward. You'll never hear one of those trees coming. They do not make any noise.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I agree with most of the above posts. It boils down to when you have time to go then get out there. Sooner or later you will hit it at the right place at the right time. If you wait til the barometer is right the wind is right the time is right etc....etc....etc....is right you will go fishing about twice a year lol. So just get out when you can move every 30 minutes until you locate some active fish. They are always there you just have to locate the active ones on any given day or night.

9. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I fish when i can.I fish most in daylight hours.

10. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    The best time to fish is when I'm not on the water. Okay, it seems that lately I'm jinxing everybody. :sad2:

I have experienced the best times to be overcast skies, but not during rain itself. Just before rain but when the barometer is steady seems to work best for me.

I believe that the fish in the lake I fish aren't as concerned about the pressure and rain as they are about the fishermen; it's simply safer to feed when rains approaching because most fishermen all leave and go home! :tounge_out:

11. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    NIGHTIME!! Because I'm awake then.

12. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish and hunt both when I can but you are right on here Brother...I have trusted the livestock forever myself on both hunting and fishing however it is like ever thing else that eats...They will move when they get hungry you just gotta be there...If you sit at home on the couch because the live stock are laying down or different Bar. pressures are not right or rain or full moon...like it has already been said you will never tag out...

Great Topic...:wink:

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Life is full of surprises. The same goes with hunting and fishing. Fish and Hunt whenever you can and one day you will be largely rewarded. Postive attitude goes a long way. " Your day will come"

14. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sitting at home doesnt put fish in the boat or venison in freezer.:eek:oooh:

15. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I catch them at all different times of the day. I catch them in all kinds of weather patterns. You just have to adapt to the situation. Different bait or different size of bait. But I like many other love to catfish in the rain. The worms come up out of the ground and get washed into the lakes bring those fish right up to the bank. I have watched catfish swim in 2-3in of water when it was raining. I have also witnessed this at night. I watched a 3lb cat with his mouth up on the grass on a golf coarse eating the worms that were being washed in to the pond. Saw 2 or 3 that day doing that.

16. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    its true that fish,like people,have a favorite time and weather pattern that they perfer.but reguard less of all these facts,like people,when they get hungry they will eat.so the more often you go the more apt you are to be there when they are biting.

17. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Tonight after dinner worked out pretty well for me :big_smile:

18. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Well my Boss always tells me I have a rainy day disease cause I always seem to call out of work on the crappiest of days. I fish every chance I get and almost never miss a down pour on the River

19. hallpatrickh

hallpatrickh New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I have found the best time to be either the day before or the day after I am able to go. It really depends on a lot of things, but my Granpa always said the best time to fish is every chance you get. He Is usually right.

20. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Well that depends on your definition of the "Best Time" is. Sure I love to have those days where your catching so many fish you dont have time to rest, but fishing for me is about relaxing and enjoying the outdoors and hoping to hook a couple of nice sized fish, so the "best time" for me is late afternoon (about 2 hours before dark) till usually 1 or 2 in the morning. It is just the most relaxing time to be sitting on the water. Seems like most of the bites are usually between 7 and 11 at night. Although I have had some excellent days of catching fish during the day right before and during a nice rain (Not storms but a nice steady downfall).