Whats the best time of year to go pike fishing?

Discussion in 'Northern Pike Fishing' started by dakid, Jan 6, 2007.

1. dakid

dakid New Member

State:
    Palos Hills Illinois
    whats the best time of the year to go pike fishing???:roll_eyes:

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I have a couple of freinds that tell me that spring is the best time to fish for northerns. Im to busy catfishing in the spring, but in the winter i do real good catching them through the ice. MY biggest to date is 44 inches.

3. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Went to iceleaders.com and watched a episode of them catching northerns through the ice in like 2ft of water. They were using a technique where they hand lined the fish up. Interesting stuff but I would think after seeing that they are caught year round. Just like kitties.

Wheelmobile07

4. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    In Ohio the best time is spring, as soon the ice is gone. I have caught them on 6 inch floating plugs, but really like live bait best, 4 to six inch
    chubs.

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Only caught two pike in my life, both off big bass plugs but I'm sure live bait would be ideal.

Wheelmobile07

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Spring has been the best for me also. I used to fish them around dams back in Iowa when the cats weren't quite full force. The can be found in the rivers year round back home, but you don't find them in numbers like in the spring were they follow the spawing baitfish up to the dams. Just throw something shiny. My favorite has always been a #9 Rapala floater in Silver Shiner. My best has been 8 pike in two hours. Nothing huge, but average of around 30". Most of the strikes would occure on the first two handle cranks, or the LAST TWO! Spring fishing for pike can be HOT!

7. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    There are 3 REALLY GOOD times of the year for pike.

One is immediately after ice-out, when they are gorging themselves for the spawn. You can do well at the mouths of rivers all the way till they are done spawning. Here in Michigan we cant go for em at that time- Out of season.

SO What else is left?

August- the hottest months of the year you go find sharp rocky dropoffs and troll the biggest thing in your box as fast as you think any freshwater fish can possibly swim. 5-8mph is common. They get MEAN in the hot weather. Big ones bite best for me this time of year.

Fall- as soon as the hard cold rains start, troll big mepps musky killers in the shallows nice and slow. The more rain and waves, the better the chances of getting trophys.

Good luck.

-Sal

8. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have found tha pike will bite anytime.They are an eatting machine.I like to fish for them in the hot summer mounths, and right after the ice is hard(new ice).A tip for you look at a pike notice his eyes.they look up. fiish three to four feet above whare you think the fish will be.good luck and hang on!!smokey

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There is a small lake in northern N.M. that as soon as the ice is gone the locals tear up those northerns on fresh liver each spring

10. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, that's a first for me...I guess it's not too big of a surprise though. I've caught them on cutbait before and once caught one up in central Minnesota off Little Bear Lake on the nastiest rottenest 'crawler I had, which in the heat was all I had left.

11. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    well, two year ago I was fishing in early spring. I fishing for channel and use chicken liver and casting to on bottom of river. so while the line was move left, I ran and grab the fishing pole and reeling so it fight as while, I landed 35" pike, it really weird becuase it not happen to me before, pike ate chicken liver?? It cannot believe that but nice pike so released pike already....

12. SanteeCooperKat

SanteeCooperKat New Member

State:
    PA/SC
    From what I hear, in a large lake in Central Pennsylvania , May or Early June is when you should start fishing for them. Of course Im talking about Raystown Lake, It could be drastically different elsewhere.

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Andrew, I caught my first Pike 33" on chicken liver while channel catting. I don't think that it is so rare, but I wouldn't start out with it for bait. :lol: lol