Whats the best shot you've ever made?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by derbycitycatman, Jul 19, 2008.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Like the title says, was is hunting, plinking, showing off or did you pull a shot out of your butt you cant believe you made.

Mine happened one night by a bright moon. Me and a buddy just got done wading around a pond frog gigging. Just after we had stepped out I seen a snake crossing the pond. Well that kinda freaked me out considering I had just stepped out of the pond so I thought I could at least scare the snake crap outta him. I beaded down on his head with my 10/22 and pulled the trigger. That snake must have flew two feet in the air after the shot. I really couldnt tell if I had hit him or not and I didnt know if it had just swam off before I could find him again. I went back to the pond in the morning and there was the snake with a hole in his head that might as well be dead center. Im guessing the shot was 20 or so yards with little light and open sights. I wish I could still shoot that gun that well.

2. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    It was the dark side. :crazy:

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I killed a buck this year that was walking straight away. Put the crosshair on the back of it's head and hit it in the spine, right between the hips. My 270 is 1 inch high at 100 yd, dead on at 200. I'm thinkin the bullet dropped around 8 inches. Was it luck, most likely but the head is being scored as we speak. Thinkin in the 160's. I'll post pics with the score card soon as i get it back.

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Bowling pin at 800 Yards, does this count? M21 with M118 Special Ball Ammunition. :embarassed:

1st round hit at 800 yard targets, and a 12 pack :smile2:

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    paul, i would wager to say you mite have had a bit more trigger time than i have. I know ya got the ammo cheaper with Uncle Sam. Correction, naw it wasn't cheap, ya just didn't have to open your wallet.:smile2:

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    It wasn't a cold bore shot, so the wow factor wasn't as sweet. :embarassed:

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ide have to think. done some wild things. but first that comes to mind. 2006. my first deer season.

opening day of firearm and first time i had ever shot my muzzeloader at an animal. at 7am the first deer that was ever that close to me alive and i wasnt behind the wheel lol got dropped.

just a button buck but im a meat man. not antler hunter. i shot it at only 45-50 yards but the fever and all i actually hit it. a bit high but dead on center of chest. the sabot snapped the spine and only ruined 2" of backstrap on each side. at 7am opening day i was done. and last day of muzzeloader at 1/2 hr before dusk the second deer i ever drew a bead on got double lunged. a big 120-130lb doe. that gun i could thread a paper towel roll at 100yards.

i had serious buddies burn tags that year. they couldnt believe the sucess i had in bagging 2 my first year.

come to think. on day me and a buddie (PARRATROOPER on boc) JOHNNIE GASTON who passed away in an accident this year while on leave from iraq was shooting clays with some buddies. the contest began. we made the tie. and then to decide the winner it was best of 10. i went first. got every one. johnnie. got every one. so it was two at a time best of 6. i hit all 6. johnnie hit all 6. we called it a draw. it was gonna cost to much.:smile2:

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    my first buck when i was sixteen...he was running broadside at 70 yds.

One shot right thru the eyeball he dropped in his tracks.

I think I missed the next 20 deer i shot at after that.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Actually,theres two that I'll allways remember. A coyote running dead out ,straight in front of my brother and I on a straight dirt road,we were driving about 40 mph ,bouncin all over ,I leaned out the door and centered the crosshairs on its earbutt,223 rolled it .

Another time I was quail hunting blue scaled quail with a friend,i picked a bird on the rise and my buddy was all amazed,after going to claim my bird,I had actually gotten 8 quail with one shot,on the fly. I never saw but the one I shot at tho.

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have two,

#1 Hauling butt about 50 MPH down a dirt road in Paraguay, me in the bed of the truck. Two dinky 40 pound full grown Brocket Deer take off and I shoot twice with my S&W 38 special and roll them both with head shots and the truck never slowed down.

#2 Hauling butt down a dirt road in Paraguay,me in the passenger seat. A South American Rhea, (Ostrich like bird about five feet tall) takes off down the road. I'm hanging out the passenger window trying to get a bead on the bird. My buddy Peter is wheel Man. The bird cuts hard to the left to go into a field, I look past Peter out his window as I hang my arm out my window. No time to pull my arm back in the truck so I point in towards the running bird with arm almost laying on the front of the windshield and cut loose a round. Bird crumples. I had drilled through the neck just below the head severing the spine. Those Rheas are related to the perdiz which is the upland bird we hunt with pointers in Paraguay. Gigantic with white meat like a quail. Mighty fine eating when they're young.:smile2:

11. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i took a squirrel at about a hundred yards head shot witha 22 and open sights shot a deer running full bore angling away got her right in the eye and come out between them she went down it just knocked her simple had to put another one in her kill it i put a scope on my 22 and sighted it in and put a nickel in a cracked 5 gal bucket only half of nickel sticking up never did find the .05 at 50 yds

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have to tell off on myself on this one and how I learned alot about ballistics and safety. I was about 13 or 14, everything's still a little fuzzy.

I was in the back yard, and layed a .410 shotgun shell on top of an old wood stove, not paying attention to the steel lid tilted in the up position a couple inches directly behind it. I was gonna shoot the primer with my pellet rifle to make it explode.

I came too laying on the ground with my rifle beside me and the .410 shell laying at my feet, and had an awful headache! There was the perfect impression of a .410 shell dead center in the middle of my forehead, and the impression of the pellet in the center of the primer of the shell! TWO BULLSEYE'S IN ONE SHOT! (the second one wasn't planned of course!):eek:oooh:

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i shot a mule deer down at brice, tx a little over 400 yards with my .30-06. there was a herd at the top of a cliff looking at us. i saw a buck through my scope at 12x, held over his back, and squeezed one off. he was still just standing there, and i thought i missed, even though i heard the bullet hit. he turned, took a step, and went down on his nose. the shot took both lungs out. he was my biggest mulie ever 32"wide with 7 points, real heavy mass.
    my other best shot was during pheasant season. it was too hot to hutn pheasants so me and my buddy T.J. were shooting prairie dogs with our .22's. when we were done i was going out in the field to hang up the p dogs for the hawks to eat like we always do, and i kicked up a rooster. i got him at 70 yards flying. it was great. i don't think i could do it again!

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    :crazy:i got caught doing that round here ide never see the light of day.:smile2:

shooting out a window that is lmao.

15. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    A second shot comes to mind now. I believe it was last deer season, muzzleloader was in. I got tired of sitting in the stand so I decided to practice my stalking skills. I got the sound of a deer sized animal past some brush I couldnt see thru so I used the ol deer call. Just barely over the brush pops up a doe's head, Im guessing 30-40 maybe 50 if I can yet you to believe it but perfect head shot, instant kill. Even seen that red mist, it was one of those split second shots that ya dont even think about just do it. And paul, Id count an 800 yard shot.lol

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    if you ask my buddy he'd tell you this was my best shot. i was walking to a hilltop at the farm to look around before leaving, and there's two does right below me. thinking it was a gimme shot, i opened fire, and missed by a mile. the deer ran to the other side of the filed and disappeared in the scrub. i hear another shot. they had run right to my buddy, who was using the bathroom at the truck. he shot the deer with his pants down, glad i didn't see it!

17. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was rabbit hunting some years ago in an orange orchard in California with my Jennings W compound I hit a cotton tail running at 50 yds it did a back flip when the arrow hit it wish I could repeat such a shot again:smile2:

18. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    got 3 turkeys with 1 shot waited until 3 out of the bunch of 20 where lined up with my 30-06 around 250 yards first 2 droped and floped the 3rd flew straight up and crashed down about 50 yards away .

19. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I was in my early teens, and my mom was taking me to a deerstand in a field in her minivan. She sees a doe 327 yards away in the field and stops the van. She says "shoot it".

I get out. Lean my 30/30 on the hood of the minivan and drop her with open sites. Aimed about 6 inches over her back.

Dumb luck.

20. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    My best shot was in a tournament. I had my last ball and the eight ball tied up together in the corner pocket with my opponents ball blocking my view. I shot 4 rails and clipped it on the outside sinking it leaving a tap in for the game..... Ooops! wrong kinda shot...... Or there was the shot when I swallered the worm......:wink: