Whats the Best Pound for Pound Fighting Fish?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Pip, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Pound for pound best fighting freshwater fish? Would be interesting to see the results. Not sure you could list them all in a poll. Would almost be even hard to compare apples to apples. But for fantasy purposes use a nice rounded number say 10lbs. Some of your smaller fish surely could put up a fight like your bluegill they are downright fun on light tackle, but hooking up with a stripper is hard to beat also or the smallmouth. Some might say the flathead would be the kingdaddy of the fight. But you can't cross out the channel cat either. Oh, and then you have mr carp, who is always up for a good tug of war.

Anybody want to take a stab at what the best pound for pound fighting freshwater fish would be?

2. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    sorry but IMHO... the hardest most wild fish Pound per pound is the smallmouth bass.

no other fish goes bezerk as consistantly and the combination of sudden surges and arial jumps haves me fretting every time I get MR smallmouth on light line....

flatheads and carp rate high; panfish seem just too darn small to fairly compare them and I haven't caught enough essox (musky/pike/pickeral) to judge their fight. trout and walleye seem less , pound

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I would have to say...if it could get to ten pounds the bullhead.:wink:

4. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I'm going to have to give it to the bull bluegill... It's the scrappiest fighter in freshwater in North America (I figured we're sticking to North America), pound for pound. A ten pound bluegill would smack around a 10lb bass like crazy. :eek:oooh: Could you imagine if they got to 30 or 40 lbs or bigger? You wouldn't be able to land one on lighter tackle. Actually, a Nile Perch from Africa is basically a HUGE bluegill (150lbs or bigger), more or less, and they are famous tackle wreckers. :cool2:

5. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Id have to say the ol' holy carp!

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I would say the hickory shad. They may only get to about 2 lbs at most, but if they got to be 20lbs, YOU COULDN"T CATCH EM!:wink:. They are like the small version of the tarpon.

7. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I would have to say STURGEON, but I'm just guessing cause I never caught a little one.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm gonna have to go with a sturgeon also. Never caught a big one like they have in the Columbia or Sacramento rivers, but I've seen film. Its on my to do list. :wink: Them suckers come up oughta the water like a tarpon. :crazy:

9. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    [. :wink: Them suckers come up oughta the water like a tarpon. :crazy:[/quote]
    Yes George, I have had this happen to me. AWSOME!!!

10. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I would say yellow bass. I have never seen one much over a pound
    but have seen them snatch the rod out of peoples hand.

11. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    LB FOR LB I VOTE FOR A WIPPER OR HYBRID MEAN FISH:smile2:

12. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have to agree They fight harder and longer then most fish

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I'd say Bluegill.... If you'd ever tangle with a 25lb bluegill, dont think even your best flathead rig would handle it ::eek:oooh:

14. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Hard to say, I like them all! I think the problem is that the pound for pound
    proposition is hard to wrap one's mind around. The famous statement of
    Dr Henshall in the last century was that the smallmouth bass was "pound
    for pound the gamest fish that swims". I find little fault with this opinion.
    But, the larger fish are hard to compare, pound for pound. The experience
    is different with heavier tackle. Also, the larger fish will test your muscles
    and joints because of the relative size of the fish vs. yourself. Hard to
    forget the feeling of your shoulder separating. Personally, I think the
    bull bluegill has it pound for pound. They set their broad sides against
    your pull and make you think they are a lot bigger than they turn out
    being. They don't do the surface acrobatics that the smally does tho.

15. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Grinnell (bowfin).

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont have much acess to that many freshwater fish here. Of those that I have taken,I think the bluegill and the white bass[sandy] ,Smallmouth are close to the same.:cool2:

17. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've often thought , If a bluegill got up to 10 lbs, or so, I think it would be a FUN fight!!

Small mouth bass seem to have been born angry, and carp get downright indignant when they get hooked!!!

18. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Its a fun thing to think about. I've kinda got a few thoughts on it

Hardest pulling would have to be the bluegill, as alot of other people said.

Smartest would be a native trout, not a stocked guy. They really know how to use that current. But my pick for most fun fight is;

Skipjack, can anyone say there is a faster freshwater fish out there? And they are my favorite to watch go arial. A 10 pounder would be nuts!

19. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've been over this several times, and every year Versus has a competetion that puts various fish "head to head" so to say, and then based on a panel of "experts" determines which fish is the best. The problem is, if it were truly a pound for pound competition, each year it would be the same result, but opinions and conditions make a HUGE difference in the fish.

Big bluegill are always near the top fo my list, but they don't straight run and brawl like a bowfin of any size. So that's where my vote is going with. I love smallies to, but a 5lbs. bronzeback and a 5lbs. bowfin have an earily similar spaztic fighting style. What gives my nod to the bowfin is the great equalizer, the TEETH. You cannot target bowfin on lighter gear without the risk of getting cut off, which puts together my favorite fighting match-up, bowfin vs. gar!

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Smallmouth bass....rollo