Whats The Best Line For My Spinning Reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by F150Catfish, Feb 1, 2007.

1. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I have old cheaper shimano spool F4, it can hold line about 250 to 300yard, but now the 30lb test line getting old and not smooth anymore. I am not sure which I am going put new line? I would say berkley big game maybe 30 or 40 lb test line??? and it's sound not going far casting??? because of too big line on this reel??? but I use this spinning reel for bank fishing. any can tell me what brand line I should get for this spinning reel??? Thank you

and I fishing for all three catfish = blue, flathead and channel.
    Andrew

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I guess it just depends on how big of fish you are targeting... If it was me though I would go away from big game with a spinning rig and maybe opt for something little more flexable. I would stay 30# or smaller though.

3. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I might try suffix braided or mono line. I've had some good casts and its a very durable line.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Suffix, Ande, Big Game, Cajun Red are all good lines. I've had good luck with Big Game 20 on my big spinning rig and have spooled a Penn 209 with Big Game 30, like both. Wanted that tangerine Suffix, but couldn't find it close to home.

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Vicious 30# is a great line. It's smaller than most 30# line and doesn't have a lot of memory. Casts really good on my spinning reels.

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I've got Berkley trilene... on my big spinning rods and it works out real nice for the surf casting that I do..... I'd definetly keep it 30# and under though

bayrunner ray

7. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    i like braid on my casting reels, but definately not on spinning....the line doesnt grab the spool and i can count how many times when you put a bind on your rod, rather it be a fish, or hung up, and instead of the drag slipping, the entire spool of line turns on the spool. and on cheaper spinning reels that have a lot of plastic, the line tends to cut into the plastic under the bail.

8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I just started using braid on my spinning reels and it works great, you just have to make sure that you keep about 15-20yds of the mono on the reel so that it grips the spool. If you only use braid it will slip and you wont be able to reel anything in. Before I started switching to braid all I used was big game in the 30 and 40lb class. I used it on shimano bait runners and the line never failed me. For 7' boat rods they could also cast pretty far if I needed to.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would agree with trilene xl it has less memory and come off the spool better. However it does not have as good of abrasian resistance as big game.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Of the Trilene lines, Big Game has the most abrasion resistance and is the stiffest, XT is not as stiff and cast well on a spinning rig, XL is the limpest and the best casting. Berkely keeps adding new lines to the Trilene family, but those three are the ones most available. All lines present compromises. Experimenting is the best way to find the right line for the way you fish.

11. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    On my two spinning reels, I put 20 lb. test trilene and the other is 30 lb. test berkley big game. All the ones these guys have named will serve you well.

12. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i bank fish mostly. i love the 20# fireline. it casts great and it holds up pretty good but i suggest pulling some line off every now and then because of the abrasion from the weight of the carolina rig and retying to keep the strength. if youve got two poles maybe try different ones tiill you got what suits you best. thanks for the question, i may try some of the others myself this year.

13. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    defintely go with Big game for cats. For castin...XL. I fish with XL almost exlusively. can not go wrong either way.

cyas
    robert

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    The new, lighter and stronger line can present problems for the average angler. Often it is appropriate to only fill a spinning reel with some flurocarbon lines no more than three-quarters full. Otherwise the line "comes off" after the bait has hit the water and snarls things up. In addition, the spinning reels with a high number of bearings do not stop as quickly as reels with fewer bearings. I have switched to 5 ball bearing reels from reels with 9 to 11 bearings and have seen the number of snarls decrease.

15. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Like crazy said a few post back might want to stay under 30lb with a spinning outfit ,I have had 30lb on mine but its becomes a pain , Had same results with a couple different 30's, pick a good 20lb brand ,:wink: JMO

16. SpoonieKing

SpoonieKing New Member

State:
    STL Missouri
    I use #65 braided spiderwire which roughly has the dia of 17 mono I believe...costs me 22 bucks for a spool of 300. Its a good price for me cuz its all gonna end up at the bottom of the sea. if u try braided you automatically cast further...and u just adjust ur drag to compensate for zero give in the line when setting the hook on a fish. ~sk

17. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Couldn't you fill up with a good low memory line, like Stren or Berkley, and then use Cajun Red or Big Game for the leader?

The one thing I've noticed about Big Game and BG Supreme, is that its a larger diameter than other lines the same test rating.

Jerry

18. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Do you have the old Shimano AS 500 its a good reel. It just doesn't have the bell and the whistles the newer ones have. I have one I believe it's says spool F5 or maybe F4. Wolfman is correct especially if using "casting line".(berkley Xl or Eazy Cast). Big game is the venerable line out in which you cant go wrong with it. I prefer myself using Sufix Seige I wouldnt want to go any higher than 25lb though for that reel. (imho)

19. JustinW

JustinW New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    20lb Ande for sure