Whats the Best Fish Finder For Catfishing?

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by wizazz, Jul 16, 2007.

1. wizazz

wizazz New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello Everyone,

I been Reading and Looking around For the Best Possible Fish Finder For Catfishing. Cash is no Problem on the purchase of one, I'm just stumped on what to buy. I heard that most fish finders have problems with not picking up catfish on radar because catfish lay on the bottom most of the time and are reconized as underwater terrain if theres not a 4" gap between the lake/river floor and the fish? Is this true? and which fish finder would pickup those catfish on the bottom..?

,thanks :big_smile::roll_eyes:

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    On most any of the newer sonar units you can expand the bottom detail or zoom etc.

There will be a lot of fish you will never "see" that are holding tight to structure or hugging the bottom.

If money is not an object I would suggest you look into the side-imaging units 797c2 or 997c2 by Humminbird. Get the upgraded version with the maps on it for only $200.00 more. Well worth the extra costs.

The side-imaging will open up a whole new underwater world for you. They'll all have this technology soon enough but right now Humminbird has the patent.

Trust me, it's COOL!:cool2:

3. wizazz

wizazz New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the Info Darryl I'm gonna check them out. :wink:

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My experience is you dont see cats on finder you see topo of lake river or whatever you are fishing where they are most likely to hide!! :tounge_out:

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    No you won't see CATFISH swimming around no matter what kind of sonar you have. I don't think anyone implied that. The side imaging though will give you detail like you never imagined.

I found a sunken barge on the Mississippi that is not on the navigation maps. I would have motored right over it and not had a clue what it was without the side-imaging.

Next time I am out there I might save a snapshot of it onto an SD card and post it here. You can see what these units are capable of though by going HERE

6. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

in my opinion they all are roughly limmited by the physics and technology of the science behind underwater sonar technology in the public sector. the higher the frequency the finer the resolution, unforunately most catfishing is done on relatively murky and high sediment loaded waters. as a result your best finder would infact be the lower resolution styles. now if your fishing a lake there are some uncommon models that used higher frequencies or used more expensive transducer circuits. The original Zercoms had arguably one of the finest on the market. it would actualy detect thermoclines! as i understand they were too expensive to manufacture and after humminbird bought them out, (the legend serries) were changed and finely replaced. you can still get transducers for them but they are different than the original zercom manufactured ones. and the newer humminbird ledgends have different board(circuuits). as to side imaging it works better in deeper water, were we are allot of the finishing(cating) is done in relatively shallow water with high sediment loading. still a nice toy and would be helpfull to some extent but I dont think it is going to put an x on the bottom. some of the older pinpoints used a separate higher frequency mainly to stage multiple transducers close together, the side effect was increased resolution, but again under high sediment loading it dosent work well. there are some sci-freakes that fine tune home brew units that might be better suited, and then there is allways the age old finest the paper graph models. if money was no object(20-$40,000+) there are expensive research models available that have more controlability.

my 2 cents

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Sorry to disagree. But why My humminbird 987c-SI shows a fish by a log. And I go back above it ( Marked it on the GPS) and drift back down. And catch a 45 lb blue. then go right back over that spot. And theres no fish.
    I would say if you have a good unit it will show it. now this is on side imaging. And it shows everything that is there.
    Also on standard view ( Pc crashed and lost the screen shots) I have fish show and even watch it on the screen hit and then reel that fish in. And that fish is a catfish. And it shows up I know its showing catfish. and I have done this way to many times.
    You just have to work with the unit and learn how to use it.
    Pete

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    The HB 997SI is a remarkable tool. My Lowrance has just developed a problem that will cost half of what it is worth to fix and I have been looking strongly at the side imaging sonars from HB.
    There is a side imaging user group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaging/ that is very informative. These sonar/GPS combos are not for the faint of heart but they are very learnable. A lot of the problems people have with them come from not reading the manual or not installing them correctly and I dare say that is the same with all the brands.
    Check them out, they are very impressive...W