whats the best chum recipe??

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by beespringer, May 20, 2009.

1. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I wanting to try to chum some for channels Ive tried it in the past with poor results.I want to hear from some of you guys that chum to hear what works best or you,if you havnt chummed before please refrain from giving advice Ive heard so many tell what they HEARD would work.I want to hear from those that knows WHAT works for them from their past experience. :wink:Thanks Guys,Billy

2. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I keep my chum simple. I use a hand crank meat grider and put all my fish scraps,(after cleaning), left over cut bait, and the carp I catch through. I freeze this in zip loc bags. I also use range cubes, and cattle or chicken feed. I don't bother to ferment it, as I believe the cats like it as well "straight". This way you do not have to put up with the smell! Just my $.02.

3. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Rangecubes or cottonseed cake.

4. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    A simple recipe we use is:
    1. Put some range cubes in an old pillow case and bust them up with a hammer untill they are about like corn meal.

2. blend some chicken livers in a blender untill liquid

3. mix the pulverized range cubes and livers together.

Thats all there is to it.

5. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Fill a 5 gallon bucket 2/3rds full with wheat or milo.Then fill the bucket to the top with water and set the lid on. Leave it in the sun and stir the gas out of it 1 or 2X's per day. In 4-5 days it should be sufficiently soured to do some good. I had a soured wheat bucket for catfishing going on 5 years. Just keep a lid on it after it is fully fermented and it will be fine. Channels and blues love it. My .02s.

6. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I chum everytime I go out in a boat, not very effective bank fishing. heres what I do. First I use a hand crank ice grinder i picked up at flea market, for channel cat i grind up any where from three to five pounds of threadfin shad, add about three table spoons of veg oil, freeze in quart bags. for blues i grind up bream same way, in quart bags and freeze. then i put frozen bags on ice till i get out on water. then i put a block or two in a mesh bag and suspend it under the boat. Or u could make a bouy for it and back off of it, fish around it. dont chum like salt water fishermen tossing fish remains all about. this just feeds them, put it in a mesh bag so particals and oils trail out, this will tease them and sometimes start a frenzy:wink:

7. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    get a bucket of fried chicken and eat it and put th bones in an onion bag.tie a weight and string to it and youll call every cat in there to ya. :big_smile::cool2:

8. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I also like the cottonseed cake, but have a hard time finding them any more.

9. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    would you get cottonseed cake from a feedmill?

10. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I HEARD COTTON SEED CAKE WAS A REAL GOOD CHUM.WISH I COULD FIND OUT WERE TO GET SOME AT.

11. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    Milo,sugar, garlic salt, chicken livers, is what I use. I have 10 gallons made & it is funky. It's also about 30 yards from the house.

12. Bullheaded

Bullheaded New Member

State:
    Norman Ok
    I have had luck with soaking corn in a bucket in the sun.

13. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    A few cans of moist canned dog food with ice pick holes in them. :tounge_out:

14. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    a can of tuna in oil thrown in the water also works good

15. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    A can of tuna wth a little mayo thrown in works pretty good on me too!:smile2::smile2:Welcome to the boc 40 oz:wink:

16. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I use cracked corn or soybeans when I do chum. Fill a 5 gallon bucket 2/3 with cracked corn, pour in 3 packets of yeast and fill with water. Let sit in the hot sun with a lid on it for a couple weeks. For soybeans, only fill it 1/3 full. They will expand A LOT. Put in 3 packets of yeast and fill with water. It wil only take about 3 or 4 days for the soybeans in the hot sun to be ready. Paint your buckets with black spray paint on the outside. It helps retain some heat while sitting in the sun.

The cracked corn works the best for me, but takes a little longer to ripen than soybeans. Cracked corn works a lot better than whole kernel corn or "deer corn".

17. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    . dont chum like salt water fishermen tossing fish remains all about. this just feeds them, put it in a mesh bag so particals and oils trail out, this will tease them and sometimes start a frenzy:wink:[/QUOTE]

If your chum is ground up fine enough, it won't feed them @ all, unless they are little ones.

One of our sponsors, FISH-ON, sells double ground sardine chum that works EXCELLENT. We sell it @ the bait store I work @.

18. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Hey Jay I have a couple of questions..

Since Im trying to catch American catfish would it be best to use american beer??You know like pabst for usa and if yor fishin in Germany something like a dark lager?:big_smile:

Also would I be better using a lite beer versus a regular brew??:eek:oooh:

I think Ill buy some extra beer in case the cats arnt biting..:wink:

19. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I don't use beer in my chum. Just water and yeast.:wink:
    I put out a marker buoy and put the boat in gear. Start dumping the bucket of chum slowly while moving forward. When the bucket is empty put another marker buoy out where you stopped pouring. Swing the boat around and anchor up 30 feet on either side. Cast in between the two buoys and catch fish.

If you put your fish in a livewell, be prepared for it to be full of cracked corn at the end of the day. They will spit it up in there.

20. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Hey Jay just havin a lttle fun with you there:big_smile:Im wisecrackin half the time bout sumpten dont mean nothin by it:wink:
    I got me some chum in the makin I used soybeans and did put a beer in it..coors actually in case they want some of that Rocky mtn water:eek:oooh:
    Anyway am lookin forward to givin it a try.Thanks Bro:wink: