Whats the best cheap easy bait?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by catman849, Feb 26, 2007.

1. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Most of the time when i fish i use either live bait or some kind of prepared bait. The live bait is sometimes out of the question if i dont have enough time to go catch it and the prepared bait blows a whole in my pocket here and there because i fish so much. Does anyone have a bait recipe that is cheap and can be made in a matter of a couple minutes at the house???

2. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I've caught alot of channels and a few blues on good ol' hotdogs. Nothing special, just pull outa the package, rip off a piece, bait, cast out, and eat the rest of the hotdog! :big_smile:

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Start you own worm bed:smile2:

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Unlike a lot of people on the board, I've never had any luck with hot dogs; but, I've had some success with bacon, salt pork, chitlings with flavoring added, and cured chicken livers. On the Arkansas River, though, I don't think you can find a better bait than fresh shad or skipjack.

5. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Get your kids or somones kids to dig up some worms. Then take those kids fishing. They can catch little blue-gills, and you can use them for bait! How cheap is that?

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I found that wal mart sells quarts of chicken livers on sale for less that a buck.
    Thats pretty cheap.Thats also a pretty good bait.Just buy a couple of quarts seperate as much as you'll use in one fishing trip into sealable sandwich bags and freeze them in the container they were sold in.Save the juice and use it with your chum.
    Not exactly home made but a lot less trouble.

7. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    many of my fishing trips happen exactly like that!Time with my kids-Time fishing-its the way it should be!

8. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Ben, chicken livers are the best "cheap" bait I've used. I haven't caught a single fish with hotdogs here in NC.

9. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    well chicken liver is cheap and works good....deer meat is free and works good....or just load up your cast net when you leave and castnet for freash bait plus for the most part if there is bait fish where you are fishing there should be catfish there somewhere

10. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    All of them work sometimes: Hot dogs, Ivory Soap, Cornmeal and menhaden oil doughballs. Cut or whole shad is always going to be the most consistent, in my opinion with Chicken Livers the second. But, expect to lose some of the livers with no fish on. it doesn't stay on a hook as good as stinkbait or shad. Helps if you save your wife's pantyhose, and tie the liver in little pieces of nylon you cut off them.

11. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Also, you are going to catch a lot more Channel cats then blues on most of these baits, except the shad.

12. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Go buy a 5 gal bucket of Danny Kings for aprox $150. You can't beat that for the cost per fish caught. There are some good bait recipies in the library they all take money and time which like reloading ammunition can give you more bang for the buck and keep you out of the pool hall. In the long haul you don't save money pursuing your hobby. A cast net is the cheepest bait you get.

13. m1kessler

m1kessler New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Chicken liver is the best cheap bait , cat fish also so like night crawlers. A friend of mine uses cut up chicken marinated in cool aid. Good luck and keep your line wet!

14. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I'll marinate chicken livers in garlic powder. I'll also use the cheapest fish I can find for cut bait; it's generally $1.20/lb. or less.

-- Rich

15. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Best/cheapest bait I have found and can be made in minutes.

Peanut Butter doughball - take a couple slices of ordinary white bread and smear PB on each slice (not to much) then turn on the cold water in the sink,wad the PB and bread in your hand mixing them thoroughly just stick your hands under the running water to moisten the "doughball" not to much.Once you get the dough sticking together take your finger and poke a small dent into it and pour some Vanilla extract into the depression and mix it once again with your hands.

This is a bait I have used a million times since I was about 5 yrs old made by my mother.I have used Anise Oil in place of Vanilla with mixed results also have added a touch of garlic salt once again with sometimes great results.

I have found the Vanilla to be the best.Also imitation Vanilla doesnt work nearly as good as pure Vanilla.

I have caught many many channels,freshwater drum/perch,carp on this bait I am sure it may likely catch blues but they just arnt real abundant here.

16. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions but now i think that i have found the cheapest thing to do, buy a minnow trap from Walmart for 7 bucks and find a creek bait up with bread or anything else ( Magic bait chum mixed with bread works great too) and in no time you'll have enough bait to last you a long time. I put mine in my aquarium with my goldfish and then just use them when i go fishin. Just two days ago i set out a trap and in 15 minutes caught close to 20 green sunfish. So i think that I am going to use this method because there are a lot of creeks near my house that i can set the trap in.

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Check with your local groceries stores for outdated meats. Especially shrimp.

18. irdomftlomk

irdomftlomk New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Can of corn . impale 5 or six kernels on a hook. If you do not get a cat you may get carp. then you have plenty of bait . Cut carp into cubes and use a cariloina rig