whats the best carp hook?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by BIG CHAD, May 7, 2008.

1. BIG CHAD

BIG CHAD New Member

State:
    south carolina baby
    iv caught carp less than most when carp fishing mainly cause of the hook. we always bait for carp by soaking corn and suger in a 5 gallon bucket then put it out two days before i go. i always get huge hits and occasionally hook one, but i dont think im useing the right size hooks. iv used all different types somebody help me please.:confused2:

2. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What size hooks are you using? That may tell us a little about where to start. Small hooks are key in carp fishing. I will post my main hooks in a second.

3. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Oke here are some pics to aid you. I have no pics of the small hooks I use on the computer by themselves where you can tell the size but I will do what I can.

First pic is size 6 RTH3 hook from resistance tackle rigged with boile.
    Second picture is boilie beside penny to give you an idea of the hook.
    Third picture is a hair rigged RTH3 size 6 like pictured earlier but without the boilie.

Hair rigging will improve hook ups, as will extra sharp hooks, the thinner the better in most cases for penetration.

I will sometimes use larger hooks for snowman rigs but not usually.

Snowman rig is a standard boilie rigged with a pop up to make it look like a snowman, causes the rig to wobble and get attention.

Any more questions just ask. Next time I get out I will take some more pictures.

Attached Files:

4. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I'll use smaller hooks but have caught many on about 4-5/0 circles. I may have been lucky but they seem to get hooked pretty well.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use size 12 trebles with a doughball and no weight. in my experience, i don't set the hook as hard as i would with other fish. i raise the rod and create resistance, then when the fish takes off it finishes setting the hook. this works good for me, i go through 3-400 carp a year so i have to have an effective way to keep in stock.

6. BIG CHAD

BIG CHAD New Member

State:
    south carolina baby
    thank yall for the advice, iv been using 2/o to 5/o long shanked hooks. ill try what yall said thanks

7. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i use egale claw size 4 wide bends but i am going to try gold lable hooks in size 4 soon

8. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Gold label are good hooks. I have used the GL penetrators with success.

It is important to consider your bait and fishing style when choosing a hook, One size is not for all situations. I will give some examples of my hook choice in diferent situations.

single boilie, hair rigged maize, other small particles=small yet sharp hook, always hair rigged.
    paylake style with puff and pack=larger thicker hook
    2 or more boilie rig=larger hook, around size 2 or 4.
    topwater fishing=eagle claw size 2 plain shank

9. huskerkat

huskerkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    You are a carp fishing god! I find many of your posts useful and informational, but I have to admit, I need an interpreter! :embarassed: Could you explain to me how you rig a hair rig? They are obviously important to catching carp and you mention them a lot, but I don't know what you mean. What the heck is a puff and pack? :eek:oooh:Grits? :eek:oooh: I don't mean to sound dumb, but evidently I am! :wink: Thanks for all your help, I hope to someday understand what you are talking about so it can be more useful to me!

10. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    For grits see the post I made on the how tos of grits pack. A puff is simply a corn puff used on hook in conjunction with grits. Do a google search on hair rigs and you can find some good how to's, I can show it in person but can't put it in words.

A carp God I am not, I could not hold a candle to the people that have shown me what I know.