Whats the best bug repellent ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Backlashed, May 24, 2009.

1. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    The skeeters were so bad last night, the wife and I went through a whole can of OFF in less than two hours. They just would not leave us alone until the wind picked up. I don't like using lotions because I don't want it on my hands to foul my bait.

So what is the best spray out there?

2. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Anything with 100% deet in it!!

3. Tros

Tros New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The "Off Deep Woods for Sportsmen" in the regular spray bottle works fine for me. I came across an article that might be of some use for you if the off isn't working (link below). Long story short, deet is your ticket.

http://www.webmd.com/news/20030408/best-mosquito-repellent

4. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,

The green or orange can? The green(deep woods) I have had good luck with.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Jeans, long sleeves and a skeeter mask.:wink: I dont use the mask, but you wont catch me on the river without jeans, and a jacket at night.
    They are BAD but I hate using sprays.
    Maybe try a ThermaCell.

6. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I like one called "BENS". It's 100% Deet and I buy it at Cabela's.

7. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thermacells work good unless there is alot of wind and its best to have 2.

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Had 3 thermacells on the boat last night. It was dead calm and they chased the little bloodsuckers away.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use deep woods off...But I hate to use it, I dont want to get any of it on my hands..Even if I spray it on my arms and legs, I always forget and then scracth...I just dont like my bait picking up the odor.

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Its weird but I honestly have not been bit by one since I was a kid. I wonder if certain foods you eat can help them not like you as much. They will buzz around my ear now and them but ever mess with, just everyone round me.

lucky me
    -Jim-

11. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27: with this post.

Covering up - That's the name of the game fellows.
    If you do that + spray yourself down with any bug repellent that has "100% Deet" in it, you can't go wrong.
    :wink:
    :0a23:

12. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Thermacells Thermacells Thermacells, get yourself some Thermacells:wink: and some Off or Cutters to help out, wished we could wear a long sleeved shirts and long pants but when you could drop a feather and it hit your foot and 95* at 2AM just plan to hot for them

13. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    OK I got lazy, and didn't go get some DEET before going out again, but I did search some old threads, and read about using Listerine mouth wash in a spray bottle.
    What I need to know now is.........whats the best stuff for skeeter BITES. :embarassed::eek:oooh::smile2:

14. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Ray, we did the Listerine thing the other night in the back yard........not real impressed with the results. Right now there are few skeeters hitting us while in the boat...........at the ramp is another story:sad2:. I have used Avon Skin-so-soft, it works OK but the smell is a little overbearing to me. Generally, I spray down with Deep Woods OFF, wash hands before handling bait and then reapplying if needed. Used to be able to buy Mosquito coils, have used those with good success while camping sandbars.

15. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    There are alternatives to deet. Catfish can smell deet at some teeny amount like 2 parts per million. I'd imagine you get that much by just touching the bottle. I try to at least bait up before I get the stuff out.

I've yet to try a product with picaridin which was recently cleared for use in the USA or thermacells which get great reviews. I have a bottle of permetherin that you spray on your clothes before you put them on. It is ok but I don't know how it works on hardcore buzzards. It at least minimizes how much deet I feel compelled to use. Deet is freakin bad for some people. Google deet and reactions and you will get a lot of stuff to read.

There are less chemical seeming things to try like natural bug sprays of lemon grass oil and eucalyptus oil. Taking vitamin b12, garlic or brewer's yeast. Tying a dryer sheet to your clothes is one I found on here but it leaves some oily junk on your hands and that's just one more smell to pass along to your bait. Just google any one you want to learn about and you'll get a landslide on info. When I'm in my garage, I just use a fan and that seems to keep them at bay.

16. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Dale,
    I was thinking about get some of those Thermacells for the Blythe Gathering - "How are they"?
    :0a28:

17. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Im one of those people allergic to deet! Even the family stuff will have me breaking out and sometimes getting sick. Ive used skin so soft and permethrine for ticks, sss is so so but the perm for ticks is great. Like Josh said just spray on your clothes and its good for a couple weeks. Neither did much for the skeeters.

Ive had some luck with the dryer sheets, put one in your hat, front shirt pocket, boots and so on. Fires work pretty good too for em. Ive got a thermacell but havent used it yet.

Oh I swear Ive heard this before on a tv show or something that the best thing for bug repellant is body odor!!!

18. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Wife just bought a thing made by OFF called a clip on. Runs on 2 AA batteries and the changeable repellent stick lasts for 12 hours, it's scent-free and you don't have to handle anything. Cost like 10-12 bucks, don't know what the refills sell for.............I'll steal it from her and give the old backyard test(living this close to the river has it's downfalls).

19. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I seen those at Wallyworld and was wondering if its a gimmick or if it actually works. Be sure and let us know Charlie!

20. Riley498

Riley498 New Member

State:
    Kansas - Parsons
    Lite up a smoke dude, Ill go thru packs of smokes keepin the skeeters and gnats away... and it gives me plenty of sinker stoppers :smile2: