Whats the best Baitcasting reel for Big cats?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by patrickgd, Dec 21, 2008.

1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Take the following into consideration:

Performance
    Strength
    craftmanship
    features
    fuctionality
    overall value for the price

What is the best Baitcaster for the bigg'uns?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You will get a lot of different thoughts on this question. I like the ABU 7000c3i.They perform well, smooth and have a good line capacity. Penn also makes some good reels. Good luck on your choice.

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Mickey. If you are looking for a reel to use from the bank the 7000iCS Pro Rocket is tough to beat. A very smooth caster and has plenty of line capacity and strength to handle large fish. From a boat the Penn GTI series are excellent and are not as expensive as the 7000 Abu's. Both reels have the power, it just depends which type fishing you do. Good luck.

4. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    well no direspect to the great sponsors on this site but for me i would have to say bill dance catfish polls at bass pro shop for over all value. but i noticed the 1/2 ton and 3qrd ton rods on here you might want to check them out also

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm 100% Abu 7000 pro rocket, although Penn does make a stroung reel, just not smooth enough to suite me. Just my opinon...

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    unless your super partial to clickers the pflueger contender G30 that sells for around $59 is the reels are super smooth and strong great casting just the clickers arent as good as a penn.

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    There is no best.

For the money, it would be hard to beat the Penn 500 Jigmaster. These are reels that have stood the test of time. High speed retrieve, lots of line capacity, and one-screw takeapart. They are bombproof. Available on fleabay for under $50, and sometimes under $40. Look for the model with the aluminum spool.

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    My self I'm rather partial to the PEEN Reels for toughness.Have a couple ABU 6000 but like penn's better.Just doesn't cast as smooth or as far.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If I had to pick only one it would be the Abu Garcia 6500.

It holds plenty of line, has a clicker, accepts a power handle, and can be found used for around $45-$55 and around $75-$85 new. Parts are readily available for them.

The 6500 will land any catfish you will ever encounter.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree with Dieter 100%. For MY application, the Abu Garcia 6500 covers ALL bases. IF I needed the extra line capacity, I'd go with the Abu Garcia 7000. Abu Garcia RULES, in my book!
    Bill in SC

11. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm real fond of my Abu 7000ics Pro Rockets, I have 2 now, it will be 4 by spring. They fit the bill, and I haven't had a single issue with them.

12. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    I ADORE ABU GARCIAS BUT REALIZE THEY ARE AN INVESTMENT, IN THE PAST I PICKED UP OLD PENN PEERLESS NO9'S THE OLD DEEP RED ANTIQUE LOOKING ONES, LOL THEY HAVE A BAITCLICK YOU CAN HEAR IN ALABAMA WHEN IT GOES OFF IN TENNESSEE!! IT WILL SCARE THE DAYLIGHTS OUT OF YA LMAO.
    I GOT SOME OF THEM FOR 10 BUCKS APIECE AT A PAWN SHOP AND HAVE ALWAYS KEPT THEM WITH CHEAP BUT GOOD 9FT POLES FROM CATFISH CONNECTION ABOUT 19 BUCKS A RIP.
    THE LARGEST FLATHEAD I EVER CAUGHT WAS ON THE PENN, IT NEVER FAILED IT HAD A GOOD CONTROLLED LOAD WHEN THE FISH RAN. IT CRUNK THAT JOKER TO THE BOAT THAT NIGHT SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE HE MET MY GOOD BUDDY CATS4UANDME AND HIS PYTHON GRIP LOL.
    ANYWAY, I APPRECIATE THE OKUMAS, GARCIAS AND ALL GOOD FISHING TOYS BUT I WILL ALWAYS THROW THE BIGGEST BLUEGILL AND THE MOST WEIGHT ON THEM OLD PENNS AND BEG FOR JUST ONE MORE HIT LIKE THAT BIG ONE.
    I HAVE TOTAL CONFIDENCE IN THE ABUS , OKUMA'S AND OLD RUSTIC PENN'S
    I ALSO KNOW THAT WHISTLER IS A BIG FAN OF OLDSCHOOL OPEN FACES AND HE HAS A NICE COLLECTION OF OLD MITCHELL'S.
    SO I VE WITNESSED A FEW AND THEY ALL WOULD DO THE JOB, SOME ARE JUST PURDIER THAN THE REST:roll_eyes:

13. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have Abu's and don't feel the need to try others. As far as the best for you it would be what you feel most comfortable with.

14. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    For cost, casting, and strength, the Penn Squidder is the best bank reel I own. The are bearing reels and cast a mile, tough but not as big as the Jigmasters inside or out. Jigmasters are my second choice, and are real workhorses and can be had much cheaper than the Abus... You can also fish them in the surf and they work great there too. Then you can look at the 209, 309's if you like levelwinds, but they do not cast as well... great for trolling though... The thing to do is try several types and see what you like....

Good luck...

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I have Abu's and don't feel the need to try others.>

I agree!! Go Garcia and never look back! :big_smile:

Bill in SC