whats the best bait?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by bigal1, Oct 20, 2005.

1. bigal1

bigal1 New Member

State:
    huntsville alabama
    what is the best bait to fish with for carp?

2. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I like good old Wheaties maybe put some Karo syrup in or some jello mix maybe strawbeery and also have caught them on corn.If you mix Wheaties and Hamburger and garlic salt you can catch Carp or Channels i use that mix in lakes a lot i eaither catch some eaters or i have fun catching Carp.

3. spam

spam New Member

Canned sweet corn, boiled feed corn, chick peas.

4. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Everybody swears by corn, I have tried it a time or two, but with only mediocre results. I cook up my own carp dough bait with corn syrup, corn meal, vanilla extract and I have never had a problem catching carp with that bait. I sometimes pull in a channel cat or two also. It stays on the hook well and we have caught some big ones on it. My son caught a 25 lb. grass carp earlier this year on that bait. The recipe is in the old B.O.C. library or I can send it to you if you are interested in it. Anyway, as a kid we always caught them with Big Red soda and bread. Soak some bread in the Big Red and squish it into a dough around your hook and hang on.

5. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    Always did well on homemade wheatie balls with vannila extract.

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jeremy, sent you a PM for your recipe. I've been using canned corn with a little better than fair results. Your endorsement of your bait sounds promising so I'd like to give it a try, thanks for the offer.

7. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I sent you the recipe Jim. I guess I will go ahead and post it here since I already have it typed out, in case anyone else would like to give it a try. Here goes:

Ingredients:
    corn meal
    corn syrup
    water
    vanilla extract
    a little flour

I think I got this recipe out of a book a long time ago, but basically you take a sauce pan or pot and add a cup of cornmeal and an equal amount of water. I am using a cup as an example, make as much as you want. Add in a couple of good "dollops" of corn syrup and heat on medium high heat, turning constantly with a spoon from the bottom or it will burn. It will eventually cook together into a big glob. Cook a little more until the gritty feel of the corn meal is gone. This may take a while. Let it cool.

Next, dust some flour on a table top and knead it out adding flour until you get a good dough and the stickiness is gone. Wrap it in alum. foil or stick it in a sealable coffee can and you have a bait that will stay on the hook for a couple of hours. I use about a no. 4 treble hook and form an egg size ball around the hook. I fish it on bottom with no other terminal tackle except for the hook. This stuff works great. Its not a matter of wether they will bite, but just when.

I also add the vanilla extract, either while cooking the dough or afterwords while kneading. I cant tell which way is better or if it matters at all, but the carp really tear this bait up.

If you have any questions about the recipe, just ask. It probably sounds kind of complicated but its really easy to make. I keep it in a coffee can in the fridge between fishing trips.

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jeremy,
    Got'er last night, have the ingredients now, I'll mix up a batch and give it a try. Then I'll be singing the praises of your bait, OR . . . . . :crying: LOL. I'll probably put a little in the oven and see what kind of cookies come out :rolleyes: Oh yeah, is that a BIG dollop or a little dollop? :rolleyes:

9. willisjj

willisjj Guest

My wife says a little dollop, but I usually use a big dollop like I do in all of my cooking, lol. Cookies might not be too bad. It sure smells good with that vanilla extract in it!

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jeremy, thanks for a great bait, made up a batch today (2 cups to start with) and it works great. Caught a nice Carp right off the bat (bait :rolleyes: ) Didn't have it in the water but 5 minutes or so and "Carp On" sure was fun as it was already getting dark. I used a "huge" dollop, bout a 1/4 of the pint bottle of syrup. I mixed the syrup and vanilla while I was cooking it in the pot. This stuff came out very smooth and really stays on the hook. My buddy had some on and brought it in to check it, it looked just like when he pitched it out, and it sure doesn't need any weight. A word of warning though, put a lot of flour on your hands and mixing board first before you stick your hands in it, I didn't, the Frau had to come rescue me with the flour jar, I didn't think I'd ever get loose :eek: , that is flat some sticky stuff before you add the flour! Thanks for a great recipe Jeremy. Here's a pic of my first Carp with your bait, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Attached Files:

11. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Thats a nice carp Jim. Thanks for posting a pic. Catch that at Milford I am assuming? I fished that lake a time or two. I was stationed at Riley from about '92 to about '94 with 1/16 INF. Anyway, I was going to tell you that we also catch channel cats off and on with that bait also. While we are catfishing we usually always keep a pole out baited up with that stuff too as those carp sure are fun to catch. My son caught at 24 or 25 pounder on it, I have posted the picture on several threads on the old site and everybody is probably getting tired of looking at it, lol, but here it is again............................

Attached Files:

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jeremy, fishing just about every evening down at the boat ramp, we've caught Carp every time using your doughbait, GREAT STUFF! Didn't post any pics as nothing more signifcant caught bigger than the first ones I posted. The reason we've been Carp fishing is, it's just to nasty to go out and the Cat's haven't been biting much on the ramp, but the Carp are great fun, thanks again.

13. Perch Guy

Perch Guy New Member

Your cheapest and most productive bait Would be A can of corn whole kernal sweet corn to be exact or your other best bet would be a loaf of White Bread One piece only the white of the bread molded into a ball on your hook wet then thrown out.

And for the kernals of corn You want the best peices and put them all on your hook through the exact same spot the exact same way.

these are very warry but Fanatstic Fish !!!

Your in for one nice fight

:)

George

<((><