Whats the best bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by thomcat, Aug 30, 2006.

1. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    whats the best bait to catch catties. i usually use livers but they always come off, whats out there that works???

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thomas your going to have to do some homework to find out what works best in the area you fish. Liver will work no matter where you fish, but sometimes cut bait and live bait are the only thing they want. in order to use cut or live bait you need to find out what kind of live bait are in the water that you fish. For instance, up here in the spring all the cats seem to want is herring, during the summer they dont seem to want it, untill the water cools down. They dont seem to want gills, stinkbait, or punch baits up here, but down south they work well. A cat will feed on almost anything, but prefer whats native to thier enviornment. If your not sure whats in the waters you fish, i suggest getting either a cast net or a bait trap, and experiment in different areas. You can get a bait trap at wal-mart for about eight dollars. When i go cattin i take my ultralite and some worms and catch bait, just to try them on my second pole, to see if they wii work. The most important thing brother is doing your homework, and patience, patience, patience. Good luck, expecting a good fishing report soon.

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Oops forgot something, there are plenty of good ideas on keeping your liver on, i personally like using thread. Just wrap around the liver. and tie it off, works for me.

4. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    hey buddy i would check out the library for some ideas. i like to use cut bait like shad or gills. livers are good if you use bait holder hooks. but hey bgrumbles and i were out last week and cought 9 cats on tiger shrimp from the grocery store. i here that it's the bait this tiome of year.

5. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've heard baby blackbirds are the best thing to use but I aint never tryed em
    I use shad and bluegills and they will always eat nightcrawlers when nothing eles works

6. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    What's best one day may not be the best the next day and there are those days nothing seems to work but this I have found this to be true, the bait I'm catching fish on is the best. :confuse:

7. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Have you looked in the homeade bait forum yet? Why, everything from cow manure to cigarette butts have been credited for catching the big ones! :lol:

I'll stick with hot dogs and chicken livers...