Whats the best bait to use for channel catfish for spring?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by endy317, Feb 17, 2006.

1. endy317

endy317 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Whats the best bait to use during the spring for channels?:eek:

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Danny King Punch Bait:cool: or some fresh caught Shad...

3. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    If you are wanting eater size channels use shrimp. For bigger channels use fresh cut shad.

4. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    Chub minnows, I like them 6" to 10" , in the sping I like to cut them into 1" to 3' chunks, depending on what they are wanting. I also Have found that Shad strips cut into same size chunks works very well, I put 2 or 3 1" chunks on then a 3" strip. In the spring they can be finicky, they will peck peck peck before they take it. I believe that they steal a bit each time, so I give them 3 or 4 chunks to give me a better chance at a hook set.
    Shad guts also work well in the spring. I cut them right behind the the gill plate from the bottom all the way to the back bone follow along it to remove the rib & guts. I like to use the whole gut pouch, this keeps the guts on a hook better for me. I hung a dandy last spring doing this, of course he got away, I have upgraded to better hooks & line. Maybe I will get him this year.;)

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Leeches work good, also I like to use small live bluegills for big channels.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Worms or Livers make great bait.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    The river I fish minnows work really well as do night crawlers, shrimp and chicken livers.

8. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Worms, Sonny's, and cut bait should do the trick.

9. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I have to agree with T-bone the danny king punch bait works great as does fresh shad. worms don't do too bad either. Have found out that liver works a little better in warmer weather.

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Experience has told me that they really don't care. They are HUNGRY! Various cut baits or a bait that will put out a strong smell seem to work the best in the colder water.

11. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    For me it's "Wicked Stickey Dip-Bait" or "Cut Shad". :0a23:

Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

12. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I like to use some sort of stink bait, or fresh cut bait of some sort, either bluegills, shad, or herring. What also works well if you live in an area that suffers from winter kills, round up a few of the "floaters" and cut them up.

13. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    We fish for channels with 3 inch shiners or chubs using a slip bobber to set the depth long gravel or rip rap banks in the lake but after a rain or two we add crawdads to the menu and move to the creeks, do away with the bobber and use a carolina type rig with about 16 or 18 inches of leader and just enough weight the bait can't drag it off, and then there is always grandma's turkey liver and night crawlers and shad. Those big crappie and walleye that will hit the same bait in the same location are bonus fish. :)

14. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Scence there is almost always water flowing somewhere in the spring it is usually easy to find crawdads. I usually catch most channals on crawdads at places where runoff is flowing into a body of water because the cats are usually waiting for food in that runoff.

15. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I use raw shrimp and the gar don't mess with them.

16. NYRiverRat

NYRiverRat New Member

State:
    New York
    Cut Herring, or some sour carp usually does it up here J

17. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I like to use shrimp soaked in vanilla , fished under a slip float along rip rap banks.

18. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I have real good luck using regular shiner minnows under a float. To be honest, I am targeting crappie but I catch a good number of channels also.

19. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    The best bait here for skillet sized channels has always been nightcrawlers.

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ill have to agree with george on this one. warmer water sets off thier metabolizom and they need more food to sustain. the first few months of spring about anything smelly or bloody should get good results.

in ponds around here i use fresh livers with some garlic added and dip baits. in the lake on the catillac i use 100% fresh cut shad. i do quite well.