whats the best bait for santee

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by younggun15, Jun 17, 2008.

1. younggun15

younggun15 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i wanna go down to santee and fish for big cats i wanna kno wat wud be the best bait to use it and where

2. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    welcome to the BOC Daniel, i dont know much about santee but there are alot of brothers on here that fish there a lot and can help you better than i can. but if i had to guess i would say herring and live bream or some fresh cut bait.

3. catfish_express

catfish_express New Member

State:
    south carolina
    live bream is the only way to go just think if you were a catfish what would you want a mushy peice of cut bait or a wiggly little bream.

4. As long as its fresh and bleedin' the catfish will be needin'.
    Bream,shad, white perch, herring,etc. Live is also good.
    Try a mix of the 2

5. younggun15

younggun15 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks for the help do u have any suggestions on where to fish

6. where in santee? are you talking the river or in the lakes(moultrie/marion)
    the term Santee can cover a lot of different areas for different people.

7. younggun15

younggun15 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    santee the river we dont have a big boat and i hear it can get pretty rough out there

8. i don't have any experience on the santee river... just on the santee-cooper lakes, mostly lake Marion.

9. younggun15

younggun15 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    oh thanks for the help

10. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Are we talking above Lake Marion or below Lake Moultrie. Both are the Santee River but there are a lot of miles in betwean and very few of us actually concentrate on both. While both areas are in the same system and both provide the opportunity to catch some monster cats, they are a little different in form.

11. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    For the most part it doesn't really matter where you are fishing, just find out what is the prodominate bait fish in the waters you want to fish. Catch or purchase that type of fish and use it. Stick with it, try different presentations untill you dial in on how the cats best receive your bait. Some of the prodoninate baits all over the santee system are Shad, Herring, and White Perch. If you have either one of these bait your in the right neighborhood. The fresher the bait the better. Also try a few live bream.

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If you fish the Santee at Wilsons Landing (right where the river comes out of Lake Marion), then you can usually cast net some shad or mullet right there. Both make excellent cut bait that will work for you on the blues and channels there.

Also, pretty much anywhere on the river you can catch some sunfish and use them for live or cut baits for the flatheads and blues.

Shrimp will always get some hits, too, but you'll generally get bigger fish with live brim or cut bait.

13. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    We've caught more flatheads on cut bait than live bait.All the flatheads have been on heads.As for the Blues,they prefer heads,middles or fillets,just depends on their mood.

14. catfish_express

catfish_express New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if your puttin in at 52 bridge dont leave nothin in your vehicle lot of stlealin goes on there i wont even put in there . the canal may be a good spot for yopu to try in a small boat . russellville store landing is a good spot if the wind isnt blowing dirrecly in off the lake it also offers good bank fishing i do quite well there hung one last year i would have to say 80 to 100 pounds he did things to my pole no other fish has done and my largest is 85 from 3 bridges down from there. see you got me talkin bout it now i wanna go.
    i guess she will still be here when i get back

15. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Santee river at jamestown is GREAT. Thats one of my favorite fishing holes....

52 on the other hand is.....
    Ok... like someone mentioned before if your at the 52 bridge, take out all of your valuables from your truck and put a sign in your window "nothing of value". It is bad... And that won't stop them either....

Now... I've caught some decent catfish there... Mostly on cut, some on night crawlers. And mostly at night.

I've caught some NICE cats at wilson's landing. I think someone said something about wilson's.... Its a nice place to go. And its pretty much easy going even if the lake is getting pounded by the weather.

Cut bait, live bait, or stink bait.... I've caught a bunch of nice size cats out of wilsons on all three.

later...
    Ron