What's the best bait for Flatheads?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catcam, Jun 16, 2008.

1. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Anyone ever used hot dogs? :eek:oooh: I know, sounds strange but I would love to hear if anyone has had luck. Thanks Jennifer

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Ask ryang about the hot dogs.:roll_eyes::wink::smile2:
    My personal experience is about anything live that is native to the waters you are fishing.

3. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    in my opinion and yes this is just my opinion dont wanna start a big debate here but live green sunfish has caught several big flatheads for us. i have used hotdogs but its just caught me tons of little channel cat. any live baitfish such as bluegill, carp, crappie, sunfish, goldfish and other critters along them lines will catch flathead. crawdeads works halfway decent around here but i dont use em that much they are a pain in the but to catch. ill tell you my secret bait for channel cats though and that would be them sand toads you always see at the river and on the backroads at night. i knw this is a flathead post but the secrets out now:wink::big_smile: lol use them toads though and fish the river and i guarantee you will catch channel cat. use bluegill around 4-6 inches though for flathead but make sure you hook them through the back or the lips in order to keep them alive as long as possible. you might not catch one the first outing but keep after them with live bait and soon enough you will catch one. hope this helps ya catchabiggun.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    they will eat hot dogs if you feed them to some gills first then use the gill as bait. lol i dont think dogs will be your best choice for flats, they are predators. fish them with live or fresh cut in and around cover and you will get bit. you never know though! tell us if the dogs work for you, it mite be the new secret bait of the future!

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Hot dogs will work in paylakes. Flatheads will eat anything if they are confined to a pond.

But if you are fishing for flats in their natural environment, use something that comes from that same body of water such as sunfish, carp, and even bass.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i've never used a hot dog because they aren't native to the waters i fish. carp, bullheads, and sunfish are awesome, and big shad too.

7. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    HOT DOGS!!! LOL... Man I remember those days.... In my opinion the best flathead bait.. Well in my area it is freash live shad.. about 8 to 12 in.

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Anything you can catch in the body of water you're fishing in will work. Some will be better on one night than the other but just try a variety and see what works. The best at the lake I fish is bluegill or green sunfish either alive or cut.

9. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    I usually try to mix it up a bit!I always bring multi species of bait when its a planned trip but i guess that depends on where you are fishing and what you are allowed to use!For example my last trip i brought with bluegill,green sunfish,shad,bullheads,and rockbass.I pretty much use anything that i can put on the hook,stays lively(or cut it up!),and isnt to big to cast usually under 10 inches and has never really mattered With the exception of cut bait sometimes thats all i get fish on. I would say if its in your body of water use it!

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    not true at all

11. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    I would use the hotdog to catch creek chubs, green sunfish or bullheads and use them for bait.

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    theres a guy here that fishes ouichita lake and he catches lots of good flatheads.he claims he uses hotdogs but i think hes lying.id stick to live bait myself.

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That modified qoute is more like it.... some people don't tell their methods like mushroom hunters don't tell, lest someone go steal them all.
    Too many folks are "eaters" nowdays. It's why I don't broadcast my knowledge to just anyone and everyone. it's too bad.

I'm a CPR believer,, why help those that will catch and gut the fish I release by telling them where and how?

I'm getting even more careful as I discover just how waaay out numbered us catch and release guys are.

I certainly don't want to be responsible tipping off a person who's going to take our fish just for a measly meal our two, or those that take them home so their friends and niegbors can see them and then feed them to the cat!
    For those folks? let 'em figure it out the hard way like had to.... I ain't educating them, heck with that!

So heck yeah folk's, the very BEST bait you could possibly use for flatheads is a big juicy hotdog! Right CPR guys? :wink: lol

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Sorry, I didn't actually answer your question.:embarassed:
    My preference is Large Bluegills, Large Goldfish and Large Israeli Carp all live. I've caught the most and biggest on those 3. Its hard to beat a good ol' Bluegill about hand size for the Flatties!!!:wink::big_smile::cool2:

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:

16. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

I think that there's a lot more people fishing for catfish these days but the number of people keeping them to eat probably hasn't changed that much. I can tell just by reading these posts that there is way more catch and release guys than there was just a few years ago. If you want to practice catch and release that's fine. People that want to catch fish to eat that's fine too. I'm sure in some cases some fish need to be kept just for management purposes. If not we're gonna be overrun with little stunted catfish, just like what happens with crappie. Just remember, there could come a day when you might appreciate a "measley" meal or two of catfish.

17. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79432

the population of catfisherman has certainly grown and "eaters" have c&r guys far out numbered. This is why the Indiana flathead record (for example) hasnt been touched since 1966.
    when there was less interest in catfishing then there is today
    so seems overharvesting eater type folks raping the waters with rod and reels, trout lines or jerking them off their nest (noodling) etc. is what is really "stunting" the catfish... not an overpopulation of them... we'll never see that.

18. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Very hard to beat a big green sunfish (black perch) or a bull head, as long as they are alive.

19. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I personally dont use Hotdogs for flatheads. I hear that some of them Ohio boys go through quite a few weenies though. I like to use big Live Bluegills, sunfish, or bullheads.:big_smile::eek:oooh::smile2:

20. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

I think the key word there is "overharvesting". This is pretty much the evil to all types of fishing, hunting, and pretty much everthing that grows. Naturally there's more people eating them than CPR'n we are talking about catfish here not carp, catfish are really good eating, but people shouldn't keep more than they need but we both know that they will, especially if there are no limits. How fast would people drive without speed limits? Oh, and by the way I like to use live bluegill and sometimes big crawdads for flathead bait. LOL
    :big_smile: