What's the best bait for bluegill traps ?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SangamonCatKiller, Feb 22, 2006.

1. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I just made one of sam's bluegill traps, and wanted to know what the best bait to attract the biggest variety of fish would be. I know the author had stated that he used anise oil with dog food.. Is that really it? Or was that the recipe for the bullheads that he caught? Would like to know what would work best for bluegill/carp/bullheads/rockbass

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Dog food works great for perch and mudsuckers! Apparently, in my case, the trap has only been effective in the warmer months! I have one I check every other day and it's been empty lately! Your minow trap also makes an excelent crawdad trap as well. I use left over fishing bait, for crawdad bait!

3. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    Yeah, I figured it wouldn't do much in the cold. Any ideas on luring carp into the trap ?

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I would expect the dog food be good for carp too, as most have corn as a main ingrediant! Carp love corn!

5. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    I know thats right ! Especially if you soak it in strawberry kool-aid !

6. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    make sure of your laws for your state on the trap. I think some states its actually illegal to trap perch(sunfish). also, i think the directions for that trap has the opening dimensions as 1 inch X 4 inches. here in texas the law says the openings cannot be larger than 1 inch X 3 inches. I actually took my finished trap down to the parks and wildlife office and got a warden to look at it and ok it.
    i usually just use cheap dry dog food in mine and in the spring n summer have no trouble catching 2-3 dozen perch in about an hour. most between 1.5 and 4 inches. I also made mine with bait compartment doors on both the top and bottom and a screen half way up in the bait compartment. I load a handfull of dry dog food in the bottom of the bait compartment which floats up to the center and on the top side i put the dog food in some panty hose with a rock so it sinks down to the center. that way all the bait ends up at the center depth of the trap right in front of the tunnel openings.I just finished another trap and instead of the 1/2 inch i used 1/4. im hopin to catch minnows with it. the 1/2 is too big for most minnows.

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    My brother in law uses styrofoam penuts in his.

8. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Slimepig, you're right on the word of caution. In Illinois you can't take any gamefish with a bait trap. Only thing you can trap is crayfish and members of the minnow family, excluding carp and goldfish. Also, traps can't have an entrance larger than 1 1/2 inches. Only way bluegills can be legally taken is on a hook.
    Rat

9. LilJCR3

LilJCR3 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah I know It's illegal here in sc on lake monticello. A sock with dogfood in it hanging right inside works really well for bream. From what i've been told you can do the same using cookie dough for carp.

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Peanut Butter and Cheese Crackers fills em every time:) bluegills that is. love' em.

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    for bluegills, any type of bread usally works well... Though i've found that stale mini bagels that are sold at BJ's wholesale (bulk food warehouse type place similar to a Cost Co., if you don't know about them let me know i'll explain further) will not only attract bluegills, but will last forever in the traps esp if you've got a special cage for the bait to go in.

For other types of fish though i like using catfood from the cans, theres a cheap one from walmart that i get its 4 cans for like $.88. Works wonders on chubs atleast in my river... catches crayfish in others, and bullhead babies in yet another i go to