What's the best 2000 model and up outboard?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by TNVOLCAT, Jul 13, 2006.

1. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You outboard experts help me out hear and let me know which one is best out of these five and state reasons why.

-Mercury vs. Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Evinrude vs. Johnson-

I'm interested in one of these brands, must be a 4-stroke EFI and 90-115 HP.

Would be putting motor on a 1996 Starcraft Fishmaster 19' deep-v aluminum boat. Any thoughts, info, comments are welcomed and appreciated! THANKS!

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I've got a 2005 Yamaha 115hp 4-stroke EFI and I love it. Turn the key and it starts, every time.

Yamaha and Suzuki I think are about the top of the line right now as far as 4-stroke engines go. Suzuki offers a better factory warranty than anyone else right now - either 5 or 6 years, I forget which. You'll only get that on the others if you buy during boat show season and the manufacturer is offering a free extended warranty as a promotion.

You couldn't give me an Evinrude/Johnson.

Mercury's 4-stroke powerheads are (or were) being made by Yamaha. I think that partnership ended earlier this year but not certain.

If you're dead set on a 4-stroke, I don't think you can go wrong with a Yamaha. For a 2-stroke, Mercury Optimax might be the way to go.

3. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Don't know which would be the best but I would go with a 4 stroke. The way they are putting restrictions on the water it wont be long before you won't be able to use a 2 stroke.

4. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I like them all but prefer the Mercury, quieter and smoother.
    They will last a very long time as long as you do the regular maintenance.

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    2 stroke motors will never be aginst the law, some try to make us think this so they can sell their product. The opti max and the e tech are the best mortors built today, both are 2 stroke get great mileage and will last the average man a lifetime. I also believe the 4 stroke to be great motors that will serve as long life but they must prove themself. 4 strokes are quite 2 strokes are faster.

I like the idea of a 4 stroke but don't like all the more parts they must have. I am not real up on this subject this is just my thoughts.

I guess the best motor is different for many of us and with fuel prices today mileage could be the deciding factor for me on my next motor. At first the extra cost for a more modern motor didn't matter, now it does, now days spend the money up front because it will catch up and someday you will be going down the river saving money.

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I've Got A 70 HP Suzuki On Mine, You Couldn't Give Me Anything Else:tounge_out: , It's Quiet, Smooth & Great Fuel Economy.

The Only Other Ones That May Compare Would Be The Hondas But Once Again, I Can Speak For/Sware By Suzuki. HTH Elliot

7. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    u fellas don't get to carried away on those 4 strokes........ might oughta do some reading up on the bombadier engines ..... (johnson/evinrude)......

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Coach, people don't research, they just talk. Most never heard of E-tech

9. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    O.K. Im not going to dog anybodies motor or get into a war about who makes the best motor out there but, I can tell you that all companies make great motors now. I have my 3rd 90 Evinrude E-tec on my boat now and have had mojor issues with them about that. But my newest motor runs like s champ! It hardly uses any fuel and is very stingy with oil consumption. All new EFI motors are expensive, but you cant go wrong with a 2-stroke, the torque is unmachted by a 4-stroke. Dont yall send me a bunch of hate mail on this, I just have had more power out of the 2-strokes I have owned compared to the 4-strokes I have had and my friends have had.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Now,I just wonder what could make you talk like that?Could it be people?I bet most will have no idea what you are talking about.Please don;t give up on us.As you well know,we need you a lot more than you need us.You are always there too.Thanks,peewee-williams

11. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm not hearing much from any of you about the newer Honda motors. Can any of you speak up about them?
    Also, I guess whether it's a 2-stroke or 4-stroke doesn't matter, as long as it's EFI.

I guess this is gonna wind up being one of those Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge things. LOL!

I appreciate all your info! THANKS!

12. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    in my bass pro catalog mercury tells you that the average fuel savings is higher with an optimax than with their 4stroke.

That tells me the opti-max is better on efficiency.

If you do a lot of trolling or idling 4stroke might make sense but for me, I crank and run wide open and stop and cuttoff, 2stroke makes sense for me.

I have a 1996 Force 120 carbureated model, it gets pretty good gas mileage at least I think it does. We tubed part of Saturday and part of Sunday after church and I still have 3/4 of a 32 gallon tank.