Whats some good rainwear

Discussion in 'Fishing Clothing Review' started by gearhead, Oct 22, 2007.

1. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    What are some reasonably priced waterproof bibs and coat , Im looking at buying the carhart PVC bib & coat @ $100.00 are they any good :0a36:

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't know about the Carhartt bibs and coat. Personally, I have Frogg Togg bibs and jacket that I like really well. The Frogg Toggs are really light weight and breathable. I would imagine the Carhartt are considerably heavier than the Frogg Toggs. I received my Frogg Toggs as a gift,but I don't think that they $100.00 for the set.

3. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Jeremy, I haven't used their rain gear, but you can't go wrong with carhartt products. Every thing they make is industrial strength. JMHO

4. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    I have a set of FrogToggs that have kept me dry in pouring rain more than once. Seems like they were around $50.00 to $75.00 also.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/

5. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    Hanson or Healy Nelson will last you forever.It takes me ten years of comercial fishing and non stop duck hunting.To wear a set out.

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Allright guys, so the Frogg Toggs will keep out even hard rain? And how do they stand up over a few years? Do they last or do they wear out fast? I like the fact that they are light weight and stowable. Just wondering before I get a new pair since my old suit started leaking this year lol.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I also bought a set of frog toggs this year and so far really like them. They are holding up great so far. S Man i have a cousin and some uncles that have worn them for years and they swear by them and say they hold up well.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Also just seen where the Sportsmans Guide has the 3/4 length Frogg Togg Slicker on sale for $19.97.

9. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Frog toggs are definitely the most comfortable rain suit you can find. But if you fish outside the boat or trail they don't hold up as well. There the best I've used. I talked a buddy in to buying some, the same day he was walking around a pond and a nice stick bust a hole in his pants leg. But I still use frog toggs today.

10. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Need to check the weight of the carhart. They seem to weigh 10#. I had to give mine away, they were to heavy for me.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I've heard too many folks tell me that Frog Toggs don't hold up for long and leak like a sieve. Don't know why you'd expect them to last - nothing much more than a tyvek-looking material.

PVC rainwear will smother you and trap all the perspiration inside, making you wet and cold. Might as well just stand in the rain... :wink:

If you really want to stay dry, pony up the cash for a good set of Gore-Tex rain gear. It'll keep you dry, it's breathable so all your perspiration can get out and it's durable.

Cabelas sells a lightweight, packable Gore-Tex pants and jacket set that run about $80 each, great for keeping in the boat "just in case" - they'll still leak if you get in a major driving rain, but for the most part, they're a great compromise between quality and cost.

I've got a set of the Cabelas "Guidewear" parka and bibs. Sure, they're high-dollar, but they absolutely keep you dry. Other than a little water running down my sleeve, I stayed dry as could be last summer while motoring through several major downpours.

Add a pair of Gore-Tex boots and you're all set.

Now that cooler weather is coming, I wear my Guidewear bibs most of the time while fishing - they keep me dry while getting bait and warm while waiting for the fish to bite...

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Anyone ever notice anything about rain gear? If it's 100% water proof it don't breath and you sweat big time. If it' does breath well then it still lets in water. I don't know whats worse getting wet from sweat or wet from rain some times. Now this could be do to the fabric on the outside of it too. The guide wear stuff is a heavy duty tightly knit fabric while the other stuff is not as heavy duty. Either way I'm going pvc bottoms and gore-tex jacket. I hate sitting down in a wet chair and having my gore-tex leak tough. But if you ask me there is nothing thats going to keep you 100% dry out fishing.

13. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Hey thats a good idea pvc bibs with a goretex coat. I looked at frog toggs and was thinking those for warmer days or nights and pvc for winter I did'nt think about pvc being cold but if I work up a sweat throwing the net that might not work to good. Thanks everyone :big_smile:

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Can't help ya with the car-hart but yes I also have the frogg toggs and have no complaints with them, been fishing in them for over 5 years same set. can not remember the exact amount but I know they were under $100 at the time and I have the biggest they make, which you know from shopping around when ya have to go up in size the price seem to get ridiculas with it.

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I always got mine at a military surplus store.

16. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i like the idea of PVC pants and gortex jacket. I was gonna try some chest waders and a good thin rain jacket.

17. catman fl

catman fl New Member

State:
    fl
    I have a set of frogg toggs that I wear on my motorcycle and at 50 or 60 mph they donot leak. most of the riders in florida wear them.

18. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    I decided to spend the big bucks. Tired of wasting time and money on worthless rain gear. Went with the Cabelas "Guidewear" parka and bibs Gore -Tex. Everything I've bought over the last 30 years I eventually end up getting soaked in . I fish a lot in the winter time till ice over in central Ohio, come November when the cold blowing rain starts, I'll be warm and dry.

19. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I fish in Guidewear Myself and its great stuff. I've sat out in driving rainstorms and stayed bone dry!

20. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Frogg Toggs. They are lightweight and breathable.