What's some good baits for fishing a lake

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cataholic, Apr 29, 2007.

1. cataholic

cataholic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Let me start off saying hi to everyone I just joined lastnight and I really like this site :).
    I have been fishing a lake and have caught a few crappie and bluegills and tried using them cut and live for bait and still no cats and tried crawlers and a few stink baits also any advise anyone could give me I would be very grateful.

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Welcome to the BOC Jason. Sounds to me that they are just not biting. You might try different spots. I don't know what the water temp on the lake you are fishing but if the water is cool you might try fishing in deep water.

3. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jason, Welcome to the BOC. Cut blue gill are a good bait for Channel. Whole blue gill are a good bait if there are any bigger catfish around. Move around, change your time. Good luck.

4. cataholic

cataholic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks , I will keep trieing :) , i ain't really sure of the water depth and temp ... people can only fish from the bank no boats allowed on the lake ... but I will explore more ... on one of the trips I went there I seen a albino channel looked to weigh a good 15 lbs or so sunning himself so i know there are some good fish in there

5. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    CHICKEN LIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If there are any channels in there at all you can catch them on chicken livers. at least find out where they are hanging out this way, then try using cut bait. or you could just try chumming them in.

6. cataholic

cataholic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I will give livers a shot , do you use plain chicken liver or do you add different scents to them ? would a slip sinker rig work when i am using the livers

7. JackieV

JackieV New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome Jason.. I have learnt a lot from these people.. And its a lot of fun here to.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Jason, welcome to the BOC! U might wont to try chicken livers or shad.

9. ibcleary

ibcleary New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Jason
    The standard set-up from the terminal end is; kahl hook- 2-3 ft leader- Swivel- Bead or small piece of tube- Slip sinker. If you snag alot I have heard of putting the smallest of bobbers in the middle of the leader. Since you are lake fishing you should not need alot of weight, just enough to cast and reach the bottom.

10. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have tried many diffrent things with chicken livers, from trying to get them to stay on the hook better, to seasoning them, to just plain fishing them. if you are fishing in an area with little to no current a slip rig will work fine. i like to use a 3 way rig beacue i can tight line it and if a kitty moves up and takes the bati i will see the line go slack easier than if i were using a slip rig. if you season them, start with garlic salt or garlic oil. garlic oil is hard to come by, so just use the salt or powder. i like my livers as fresh as possible and keep them cool. if not they will get all mushy and wont stay on the hook worth a darn. i would recommend a 2/0 or 3/0 kahle hook or circle hook. always works good for me.

11. d_guerrero1

d_guerrero1 New Member

State:
    Roselle, Illinois
    I fish alot of ponds and small lakes chicken livers and dip bait always work best for me :smile2:

12. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Sonnys Blood Formula stink bait has been good for me. I was fortuante enough to win the Magic Bait Giveaway recently, and so far the cats turn their noses at it. But I know after a few weeks of warmer weather will change their appetites.

Welcome to the BOC!

13. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i was at a local lake last weekend and found the best bait i have ever tried in my life.a big ball of fish guts.we landed a 10 pound blue and had runs every 5 minutes(no joke). try it im sure it will work for u.

btw-it seamed like the further we casted the more runs we got. hope this helps.

14. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Welcome to the BOC

15. cataholic

cataholic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I went to the lake and only brought 2 poles with me so i set one out with chicken liver and the other i was going to see if there was any bass in the lake and before i could make a cast with my bass rod I had to jump on my cat pole it had almost bent double after fighting it for about 10 -15 minutes i brought in the biggest channel of my life not sure of the weight i didn't have a scale with me but my previous record was 11 and this one was alot bigger ... i have learned so much from everyone here thanks everyone and now i can't wait to get my heavier rods to go after some monsters :big_smile: