Whats So Negative About Two-Piecce Rods?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by H2O Mellon, Jan 2, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know that lot sof people, even me in the past have been negative on two piece rods, but WHY? I bought several King Cat Pro rods this winter & they are two piece rods. I would not be affraid to use them for Flatheads. I also have a Jeep Cherokee, so they are MUCH easier to handle.

Have any of you actually fought a Catfish w/ a two piece that was not a blemished rod & have it break on you? I've heard stories of it happening, but it's never happened to me personally.

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    The down sides to a 2 peace are as follows;

1) A 2 peace rod will come apart and has done so to me at bad times because of the fact that the more you take them apart and put them back together the joint that connects them will start to wear out and will cause the two sections to start working lose.

2) The weakest part of the rod will be the joint where they connect. As you start taking them apart and putting them back together you will start wearing the walls of the joint out and causing the wall of the joint to weaken thus creating a weak spot in the wall.

Those are the most common problems encounter with a 2 peace rod.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks Gator, I respect your opinon & know your right since this is what you do.
    I guess I have too many rods & hardly use any particualr rod more than 3 or 4 times a year, so I havent noticied that on mine.

4. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Exactly what Gator said. I had one to break two years back on about a 40lb blue. Lost the fish close to the boat and the rod just snapped where they go together. That rod is in the Ohio river somewhere above smithland dam probaly.

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have had one break while pulling in a blue on the ohio river. All my cat rods are one piece. If I go with someone with a small truck or car I will stick them out the window or hold them.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wow, I may have to re-think that 7000 that I just put on one of my King Kat Pros, maybe I need another Quantum Big Cat or just wait for my Gator Custom rod. Thanks for all the info guys, this is what makes the BOC fele like home.

7. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes Exactly what Gator said. I learned the hard way when one came apart and another broke. That was 20 years ago.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive never used anything but 2 piece rods and ive never had one fail me.I have 2 piece rods ive used since i was a kid and still use them today and have landed plenty of big cats and carp on them without a problem.Mybe its the way you care for your rod,or mybe just a bad rod i dont know.Im no expert on rods but up to this point ive never had any problems.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have had it happen to me on 2 occasions and lost the fish both times. Once when setting the hook and once during the fight. When the first one broke setting the hook I figured it was my fault for trying to rip his head off, but when the second one broke during a big battle wth a fish "I NEVER GOT TO SEE" that was the end of those kinds of rods for this ol'boy. Both of these rods broke in the same exact place. These rods were made by different companies and were not cheap.

It is a real heart breaker when you loose a fish of a lifetime because of faulty equipment.
    Remember this: A Chain Is Only As Strong As It's Weakest Link!!!!!

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bryan ole Buddy..With the size of fish you catch I am sure 2 piece rods will do you well :D

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with 2 piece rods.Years ago rods were joined by ferrules made of various metals like nickel.The were prone to come apart at inopportune times and to wear out.They also caused a dead spot on the rod and focused stress at that particular spot.In the 70s I believe Fenwick came out with the first rods that did away with the ferrules and actually used reinforced sections of the rod itself as the joint.This revolutionized the rod manufacturing process forever.It was particularly good for flyrods as the action flowed the length of the rod without a dead spot.The actual joints today are so reinforced that they are stronger and thicker than the rod wall themselves.They are also tapered so if there is wear they still fit snugly.I have used two piece rods ever since then in the surf,in fly rods and now for large cats and have never had one break or come apart.You must follow the instructions which generally is to insert the two pieces and then rotate 90 degrees or so.Sometimes is very difficult to get them apart and the rod can be damaged if you are not careful.Tarpon up to 200lbs,large redfish,huge stripers and in my experience cats up to 60 lbs are routinely caught on two piece rods in both graphite and glass.I was amazed in looking through the SAGE flyrod selection at how many are now 4 pieces.This is a premier company and they wouldn't make them that way if they felt they would break or fly apart easily.As in all things a cheap rod doesn't get the care and quality control that the more expensive rods do.A good quality rod from a reputable manufacturer should not cause you any problems at all and if there should be one just return it to them and I'm sure they will make good on them.Cabelas gaurantees all their flyrods and will replace them even if you run over them with your Jeep.A 20$ rod is just that a 20$ rod and often they arent really a bargain in the long run so you pay your money and take your chances.Besides Bryan Jack says you never catch anything over 5 lbs anyway so you should be good to go. :D

12. silver_dollar

silver_dollar New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I often get a good deal on a two piece rod.

I make it into a one piece rod with J.B.Weld epoxy.

If the rod should ever break, it would be someplace besides the J.B.Weld epoxy joint.

Harland

13. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack, with the fish he catches, maybe he could just leave the tip ewnd at home and use only the first half with the reel on it :p :D

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Jim - excellent post concerning the way 2 piece rods are made these days! I have always used 2 piece rods and have never broken one where they join together. My vehicle is on the small side (Chevy Tracker) and I use 9 & 10 ft rods for Flatheads so I almost have to use 2 piecers.

15. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've been using both for years. Truth is, I've never had a problem with either. I fished two piece rods in heavy current, and one piece ultra light rods, and vice versa. The only times I've broken rods, is when I caught a rod in a door, or had one smack against overhead cover. In both circumstances, I had a cheap rod. I used to use a two piece rod for fishing stingrays, which I caught several in the 40lb range on 12lb test, and those things will give you a dogfight! A lot of it comes down to the circumstances you are fishing as to which will work better for you, and the way you use it. If you've got 50lb braid on a rod rated for 20lb test, you've got the drag buttoned down trying to yolk a bohemoth out of the sticks...you're likely to break anything. My ultralight with 4# test is a two piece rod, and I've caught a lot of fish that "shouldn't" be able to be caught on a rod of that caliber, but you're not going to see me using it in the heavy sticks, or in areas where I've got really good chance's at a 30 plus pound fish.

16. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I agree with you guys...I have never had a problem with a 2 piece rod. Now, I do prefer one piece rods better than 2 piece but sometimes you don't have much of an option. Like Scott said, if vehicle space is limited like him and me as well (I own a Jeep Wrangler) then sometimes one piece rods are not a logical option.

17. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

:grin-big: Mellon are you going to sit there and take this?!?!?!?!?

I use 2 piece because I drive a car, if I had a full size truck, or a boat I'd use 1 piece.

Ray

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What can I say, Someone has to be the target. :005:

19. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sure would like to see someone trying to haul a one piece 10 or 12ft rod! i have 2 one piece rods(big cats)for my boat and the rest (8 rods) are 2 piece. never ever had a problem out of a 2 piece.

20. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Mellon I am right there with you as a target, But I have broad shoulders and can take it, LOL!!!
    I can understand why most people use them, conveneince.
    I am not saying that they won't catch fish, because they will and do.
    What I am saying is I will never trust them again. Two good fish lost because of them is two to many. In no way am I knocking anyone for using them. This is just my personal preference, nothing more.