What's on the menu for New Year's Day?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jeremiad, Jan 1, 2008.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Everyone knows that there are certain foods that just have to be on the menu for New Year's Day.

Here's ours: CABBAGE (gotta have!) and kielbasa, pork roast with saurkraut, blackeyed peas, potato cakes (latkes), and fried apples.

It is essential to throw a silver dollar (old Morgans are best) into the cabbage when you boil it.

Be careful what you do today...you will do it for the remainder of the year (sorry, DH!).

Ladies are not to go visiting, either. You may talk outside; just don't go into another lady's house. For some odd reason, this old superstition doesn't seem to apply to men. :wink:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Joel, you eat pretty good for a preacher. You must be a Presbyterian minister, they pay well, better than Baptist preachers.

Is that cabbage going to be simply boiled in that silver or are you going to make rolls? German (Kohlrouladen) or Polish (Golabski)?

We were always taught that if a woman wore a plain babouska she could enter another woman's house. When have you ever known a woman not to talk no matter what or where.

If I drink a beer today, does that mean I am forced to do it the rest of year? (Say yes)

Happy New Year Joel. John.

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Oyster stew, gota to have it every year. Large Lousiana shrimp on the grill, pork steaks on the grill and some nice chuck steaks on the grill. Then just some salads, I might bake a few taters.

YUM:big_smile: YUM:tounge_out: YUM :roll_eyes:

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Corned beef and cabbage today. Wish I had some pickled eggs, may have to run to town and get some. Wash them down with a cold one and fan some sheets.....:eek:oooh:

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Joel, I just saw on your avatar under trade, your are listed as Naval Acoustic Engineering. Have I been calling you Preacher Man incorrectly? Neither one are bad, don't get me wrong. I certainly don't have the talent for either. I just want to be fair to you when I comment. John.

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    After a late breakfast of cinnamon rolls and black coffee. :big_smile:

Blackeyed peas (gotta have!) cooked with ham, fried potatoes, onion, cornbread and cherry cheese cake.

7. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Well, I've been an engineer for 25 years, a high school teacher for four years, and a preacher (A/G) for 14 years. Add 'em up, and I'm getting old! :wink:

Or, consider the overlap and it sorts itself all out to place me at middle age and slumping.

Cabbage is always boiled with the kielbasa; that's my wife's tradition. My mother always fried the cabbage and fixed corned beef with potatoes.

I never heard about the babouska. My wife's grandmother would always meet her neighbor halfway between their houses and they would sit on a rock and talk. I don't know how they would have time to talk much considering all of the cooking that had to be done!

About the rest, I guess I'll have to leave that up to you and your good conscience, bro! :big_smile:

8. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dang, you people know how to eat. I'm hungry.

We are having pot roast in iron skillet with carrots, tators, gravy. Fresh peas, Greens. . Baked bread and I will need something sweet for later. Maybe a hot fudge sunday or fresh baked cookies with ice cream.

next week I got to go for a big T-bone steak fresh off the grill.
    Also hungy for a big thick juicy homemade hamburger.

After all the bird and ham for past couple months, I need some beef.

9. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    By the way, I don't typically eat the blackeyed peas straight...

Hoppin' John is the only way to eat blackeyed peas in my opinion. Just mix a can of Ro-Tel tomatoes and chillies with a can of blackeyed peas--not bad at all. Even them italian tomatoes with basil aren't too bad with blackeyed peas.

Now, fix some good homemade corn bread, and you're good to go.

Goes great with catfish, by the way! :wink:

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    will be having blackeyed peas with hog jowls for luck.boiled cabbage with ham and cornbread.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Blackeyed peas an ham,Fried okra,smoked turkey breast ,cornbread an grits,Cold beer for me an sweet tea for the wife an daughter.

12. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Um, um, um!!!!!! Man that all sounds so good. I call that good country cooking. Anyway, at my place tonight the menu will be as follows:

Blackeye peas (a must)
    Hog Jowl (a must)
    Fried potatos
    Greens (a must)
    Cornbread

On the side: A big slice of onion

We've had this same meal on New Year's Day for as long as my memory can recall. I'm 100% sure I'll stuff myself tonight.:roll_eyes:

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Interesting, Later on we are having some snapping turtle that will be lightly browned in the cast iron skillet, the put into the roaster pan, and milk gravy made from the "drippins" then it will be poured over the meat and cook slow for about 3-4 hours low heat, and 15-20 minutes before eat'n time add drop biscuits on top of the mix until they are golden brown and a baked tater and salad on side........ and what a bit of football before, during and after :big_smile: Momma has a kettle of white beans and hocks simmering for some reason also, so I am sure a small bowl of them with a hunk of hot corn bread and butter will also be devoured :wink:

14. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Blackeyed peas cooked with some smoked hog jowl and onions, left over hog jowl sliced and fried, brazed cabbage, cornbread, sweet tea and homemade butter cookies for dessert.

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Cornbread, navy beans,fried potatoes,sauerkraut to name a little. I expect the covers to vibrate tonight, and I want have to buy any gas for a couple of days. Beano don't always work.:big_smile:

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Looks like White Chilli w/chicken tonight. The wife has a new recipe she has been dying to try.

17. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    You guys got me hungry for black eyed peas so made a trip to town. Bought the last package they had so theres a lot of people eating them today I guess. Have a pot of black eyed peas and ox tails going on the stove now to go along with the corned beef and cabbage. Hot corn bread to swab it all up with.

Forgot to get some pickled eggs.:angry: