Whats on the Menu? Can you eat the other turtles?

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by etipriga, Feb 5, 2006.

1. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    Ive heard that you can eat snapping and soft shell turtles, but i was wondering if you could eat other kinds(red ears), and how good would they taste?

I know that they need to be about 8 to 10 lbs before its worth cleaning and eating.

2. odominioncatter

odominioncatter Member

State:
    Elkin, NC
    I've been "told" only snappers and softshell have good flavored meat. THis is only second hand info though.

3. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have also heard that you can eat snapping turtles and soft shells. I would think that you could eat the other species of turtles as well. I personally wouldn't eat them it sounds pretty disgusting.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont see how anyone could eat the softshells, they smell horrible..I have ate snapping turtle once, it was decent..But I will never go through the headache of cleaning one agin.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    TASTE LIKE CHICKEN, right? ;)

I used to love eating tutles. I would eat so much that I'd get sick. Russel Stover was my favorite brand!:grin-big:

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i think softshells taste just about as good, if not the same as snappers. they are a little tougher though, might make some good soup with them. i cleaned a few in the past, they are really hard to get the skin off of so i quit messin with 'em. like to find someone AROUND ME who would take them so i can thin them out on the river, God i hate those things!

7. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey N2Ducks those geese in your picture, they any good to eat?
    They sure do look familiar. :) ;)

8. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    Oh yeah!! Really good when you make jerky out of them. I got a buddy of mine to make some jerky out of them. We'll see what he can do.

9. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    What r u doin that im not. I have only caught one turtle all the years ive been fishing, and i pretty much only fish for catfish. i was wanting to try and catch some turtles this summer but i dont know where on the lake to fish for em.

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    man we are infested with softshells around here, they are a big pest! if i knew someone to take them i'd set out trotlines just for them! snappers are hard to come by in the rivers but small ponds are full of them. if you have any small ponds around you give them a try with homemade turtle lines. think you guys down that way have those alligator snappers also. heres a pic of one i got from a pond no bigger than my back yard (40 by 20ft) and got about a dozen other than this. this one went 21.5lbs

Attached Files:

11. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    dang that sucker looks huge! I think that that one i caught along time ago was an alligator snapper. Back then i didnt know you could eat them or i would have tried him out.

I dont know if you want to bother with it or not but ive heard that after you chop their head off you cut a little slit in the skin and shoot the air or water hose in it their and its supposed to blow them up and it makes it easier to get the skin off. Even if it doesnt work i still think it would make a cool picture.:)

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    now i might just have to try that! got an air compressor in the garage. ill be sure to have a cameraman nearby:D

13. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    Let me know how it works out in case i ever actually do catch one of those things.

14. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    A friend of mine used to catch them in someones pond using chicken.

15. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    All the turtles that i ever caught were on Oscar Myer Weiners. They were all red ear sliders and i ususally just cut the line and let them go.

16. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    You can check with some of your mom&pop fish markets they may buy some turtles from you. If you want to keep some to eat, make it a big, you only get about 1/3 of body weight yeild in meat. Be sure you cook it slow, when done chunk it out and eat some fish.lol

17. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Etipriga, DInkbuster.
    I'm interested in seeing a Picture of someone dressing a Snapper.
    I'm cracking myself up thinking about inflating a turtle to clean.
    Turtle Balloon goes Boom!!! HA HA sorry this Yankee is having way to much fun with this.

Seriously take some pictures if you can. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be interested.
    thanks for the Chuckle
    Larry

18. Joe_T

Joe_T New Member

State:
    NY
    Last summer I caught a snapping turtle. I was Carp fishing with corn meal. I kept seeing it pop up in the creek. Later I saw my line moving so I set the hook but I thought I was snagged. Then I thought I hooked a log….. Then I realized I hooked the turtle! I’m not one to give up a hook, so I reeled it in and went after my hook. It was in his back leg so I took my pliers and grabbed the hook. I started to drag him to land but that proved to be a bad idea. So I stayed in about 1 ½’ of water so it couldn’t get a foot hold. Just after the hook came out it turned toward my nephew and I. I couldn’t get my feet out of the water fast enough. I would have loved to see myself from shore. We must have looked like a couple of football players running through the tires!

19. catstalker

catstalker New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I used to eat alot of turtles during my teenage years. They say they have seven different flavors such as chicken, Fish, Beef, Pork ect. I always thought they tasted like turtles myself. But they are pretty tasty.

20. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    larry i wish i would have read this sooner. we just did this dude last week,i could have snapped some pics(get it snapped lol). this one went about 60#s or so. its an aligator snapper from florida. i have a pic of a 100#er in my members pic section. they are not fun to clean but yummy to eat! someone posted istructions on how they do it larry, look in archives under turtles. if the air hose thing works it would be a time saver! took us about 25 min. to skin this guy.

Attached Files:

• 60#.jpg
      60#.jpg
      File size:
      68.8 KB
      Views: