Whats next?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by AZflats, Oct 17, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Now, I doubt it that when cool weather arrives you folks are hanging up your fishing equipment till spring...

* What does everyone fish for when the weather cools down... I still relentlessly go for flatheads and channel cats, but sometimes head up to the high country for trout..
    Does anyone travel to other areas/states/countries to fish?
    ~A

2. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Andy...great question. I've been thinking about that myself. I've been looking into trying ASU research park as well as some of the other urban lakes in the east valley for some "off-season" fishing but I will wait until first of the year before I actually get my urban license and start hitting the urban lakes. The other lake I was thinking about was tempe town lake. I work about five minutes from TTL so I could actually fish on my lunch hour whenever the fever hits but I don't even know where to start on that one. I'd like to start targeting carp as far as species goes....

My brother-in-law has a small community lake near his house that is not on the urban lake system yet (should be w/in the next year or so according to G&F) so we've been hitting that one pretty hard with ultra-light tackle catching lots of bluegill & carp. Nice thing about that one is that the bite is nearly continuous from the first cast to the last & we CPR every one. It's been great for getting my kids interesting in fishing...

3. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Like you I am pretty much going keep looking for flatheads as long as I can catch baitfish. Have never fish flatheads much in the daytime, but I notice the "bite" seems to be getting earlier, so I'm going to give it a try.

4. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    I'm inclined to go for the cats. I'd like to know what the cold weather strategy is. Do you guys tough out the cold at night or is there a daytime bite?

5. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    No not really. I do start fishing some lakes because they are easier to drift fish in deep waters. That is all I do when winter hits. I think that is the best thing you can do to catch inactive cats durring the winter. It seems like you wont catch the cats until you drop that bait right on top of their heads. I also like lakes for drifting better than the good ol river is that there is alot more room to manuver and there is alot less stuff to get snaged on. When I drift on the lake I like to use a sock so that I can keep my poles on one side. I start in about 5' of water near or in a creek and drift all the way out to 30-50' if I do not get a hit or fish I will go back and do the same thing once more if the same result comes I will change areas. This usually works pretty goodbut If all of this fails I usualy get mad and go set in the deepest part of the lake. lol Hope this helps

6. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    I am sure that some of you noticed my post a little earlier on...I am probably done for the season...as much as that stinks.

I grew up in Idaho and most of the fishing was had during the spring and summer. I think that that got into my head and many times I shift from fishing to hunting as the summer winds down. I am noticing though that I am fishing more often and earlier and later in the year...which is a very good thing.

As for this year, between my work schedule, my wife's work schedule, her expecting, and me trying to save up for a nicer boat motor...I am probably done for the season.

Please don't count me out though...I may end up surprising everyone and myself. However, without fail, I will probably be getting fishing fever for sure and have to go to Powell and fish for stripers no later than early March.

Ultimately if I am persuaded to get out and fish, no matter what time of the year, I am always willing to catfish.

Ryan

7. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I fish for blues in the winter. they are the only cats i really target. But i do alot of crappie fishing. I will crappie fish until roughly first of january. Also go to Erie this time of year and walleye fish and sometimes to cumberland to Striper fish. I'll do it all!

8. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i head to the coast for the redfish run.

9. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    This is my first year doing some serious Flathead fishing, so we will have to see what I can come up with in my efforts. I do TEAR into the channels at local urban lakes (Red Mountain, Water Ranch, Val Vista Lakes, etc.) and it seems although the bite slows down a little bit in between stocking seasons, the quality of the fish improves immensely. I pull Channels upwards of 8 or 9lbs out of the urban lakes using cut sunfish and dip bait. Those are very decent size for our urban lake stocking program.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Surf fishing, crappie and, of course, catfish. I can catfish year nearly year round and often do. Surf fishing is seasonal for me. And I have been make my trips to Santee twice a year for awhile now. I also go back to Texas and hit Lake Fork about everyother year. So I do travel to fish kind of follow the wind as to where though.

11. CaTfIsHKyLe

CaTfIsHKyLe New Member

State:
    AZ
    I head to the salt river lake and go for bass. Canyon is the best for thorwing big trout swimbaits. You can also catch some nice cats on themm too.

12. Marc_g

Marc_g New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Has anyone ever tried going south of the border? I know there are supposed to be some great bass lakes there, should be cats too.

marc g.
    mesa, az