What's New: HELP! You're confused.....

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catgirl, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

and you can't catch up.

Okay folks, this is going to be my attempt to explain some of the new features available now here in the wonderful world of catfish1.com. Bear in mind, things may change again before the upgrades are complete, but so far this seems to be how things are working.....at least on my end.

When you log into the site, at the extreme top right of the page where it says "Welcome, {your username}" you may see "Notifications".

What are notifications you may ask? Well, they include three categories.....private messages, posts to your user CP conversation board, and requests from fellow members to be added to your friends list.

You may view your notifications two ways. Right click on "notifications", then on "open", or click on User CP (on the left hand side, navy blue bar at the top of page).

What I see is......first, any friend requests I may have received. If you go to the bottom of the page, you'll see where to accept that person/persons into your friends list. If you would like that person's avatar to be displayed in your user CP (such as when they post to your conversation board), check the box. I like seein' my friends' faces, so I check 'em all. Thought twice about it with BG :smile2:. J/k George :wink:. You will also see a place there where YOU can send friend requests to other folks. If you accept them, or they accept you, it's mutual. You'll automatically be on each other's friends list.

If you have received any private messages, you will see the person's username and intro to the message under "New Private Messages". They work the same way they always have. In order to respond to a private message, you hit reply and a large rectangular box comes up to type in. There are smiley choices on the right hand side, and two lines of choices regarding formatting at the top. If you wish to send a NEW private message, that option is available over in the big left hand column. These messages are only seen by you and the person you are typing to. PRIVATE. To newer members: You must have ten posts on the board before you can send private messages.

Then we have a new category, "New Visitor Messages". Those "notifications" LOOK the same.....you will also see the person's username and intro to the message. When you click on one of them, it will take you to your conversation board. I did not understand how it worked at first, and ended up posting a message meant for Cheryl to myself. If you want to say something to someone else, you must go into THEIR user CP. The box to post in is a narrow rectangular one and comes up automatically, and is much smaller than the send or reply to PM boxes. No smilies on the side, and only one line at the top of different formatting options. (HOWEVER: If you EDIT a post to someone's conversation board, it is a bigger box and TWO lines of formatting ops at top, still no smiley options.)

When posting to a member's conversation board in their user CP, remember that this is visible to everyone......that means the entire membership, not just folks on your friends list.

Also, directly underneath your profile picture (or username/rank if no profile pic), it says in small letters "send message". You will find both options for doing so there as well if you click on it......private or to your conversation board.

Now, the next feature I will mention is not visible to some folks yet, me included. Under the profile picture (or just username and rank if the person has no profile pic), you MAY see blue/gray tabs saying....."Visitor Messages", "About Me", "Statistics", "Friends", "Contact Info". This is where you can find a person's real name, location, interests, etc. I refer you to the following thread for a picture example of this (thank you Eithne).

www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85333

I hope this helps some of you who are as lost as I was the other day.

If not, here's a virtual hug for ya. :big_smile:

2. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good post. I'm spending more time on the new features than posting.

You did miss one thing.
    Where is the snack room and coffee machine.
    O and, where is the bathroom. Coffee runs runs right through me.:tounge_out:

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

When rereading my above post, I realized that I was employing the term "User CP" interchangeably with "User Profile". Anyway, same difference. It you're in YOURS, it's your user CP.......and someone else's is their "profile". Sorry 'bout that.

HELP....I'm confused again, but I am laughin'. It's the best medicine.

4. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dang catgirl.
    Now it's back to the drawing board.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i like the new features and hope they stay

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I kinda like 'em too Jack. It's not really that difficult, just a few new things to take in. WE CAN DO IT! :wink:

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Whenever I click on "Notifications" up there in the upper right hand area, nothing happens. If I go to User CP, I can find it there, though.

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ha, ha...I sent you a notification just to keep you busy. :smile2: Idle hands are the devil's workshop lmao.

9. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Tanya

That does help. I didn't understand how the public conversation thing worked. I think I may have sent a few that I didn't really mean to be public, but don't matter. It's all good.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    kutter. right click on notifications. and click open. it will do the same. catgirl figuresd that one out.:wink:

11. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have come to terms with the fact that i am the village idiot. thanks for the hug.:big_smile:

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Thanks Tanya for the help! :big_smile:

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Help I am still stuck up here in the right hand corner!!!:smile2:I accept the hug since virtual is all I can get, but dont understand your caution about BGs face.No living person has ever seen it hidden behind all that HAIR as it were.!!!!Or is that what worries you ?That he has to keep it hidden:wink::smile2:I didnt even realize we had new features until someone asked to be friends?????Whats that all about.Here I have perfected my irrascible ,crotchity,irritable old man image and now folks want to be friends!!!!Next thing they will want to go fishing!!!!!!:roll_eyes:Thanks for explaining everything that I dont understand,just like you to help us all out!:wink::eek:oooh::smile2:

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I'm mystefied by this whole deal...this village has more than one idiot.

Is "Friends" like MySpace? Do we call each other dude, and say things randomly, like random, brilliant, awesome, etc?

I've SO gotta get with the program. Totally.:wink:

15. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Please help me Iam an idiot and cant find my village. Thankx Tanya.
    smokey

16. KATMANDETTE

KATMANDETTE New Member

State:
    Cedar Key, Florida
    What is the point in being "friends" (other than in person, of course).

What does it mean?

I'm SO confused.....Must be the heat??????:roll_eyes:

Mik

17. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Catgirl,
    As normal you are here to save us. I hope I figure it out soon. I know that all upgrades set me back in time about a year and just when I figure it out...............................new upgrades!!!! This little guide should help me with that process.

18. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for letting me know about some features I didn't know was there Tonya. I do have two questions maybe someone could help me with. How can you tell you have posted to someones post. The second question on post with several pages, when you log out and come back a day later is there a way to go to pages/post added since your last visit. I know how to do both before the new changes but have not figured them out on this new format.

19. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i think our problems stem with the same thing that makes us wear carhartt overalls:smile2:

20. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Thanks for the post Tanya! Sure helps the forum illiterate! lol! Anyhow, I guess it makes things that much more fun to figure out or cuss at.:angry::tounge_out::wink:!!!! Reps to ya Catgirl!!!!!!!!!!

Mark..