Whats more important: filter or current?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by weathermantrey, Jan 16, 2006.

1. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    I'm making a bait tank for herring today and I have a few questions on what I should do. I took a 144 quart cooler and rounded the ends off with sheet metal. In the little area at the corner behind the sheet metal, I have a 600gph bilge pump. Right now, I have a tube coming from the bilge pump through the sheet metal wall, When turned on this creates a good circular current all the way around the tank. I also have 2 aerator stones mounted in the middle of the tank on the bottom. Now here is my question.... I saw on the BOC where somebody used the bilge pump to pump water above the water level and then let it fall through a floating filter to remove ammonia, scales, etc. Would it be more benifical for me to use my bilge pump for current, or for filtration? I can't afford to get another bilge pump due to battery power constraints. Now, another option I am considering is filling the area behind the sheet metal up with charcoal or some sort of filtering stuff. When the bilge pump pulls in water, it'll pull the water through the filtering stuff. Thus, i'll get a good current flow, and some filtration. I really don't know if this would help any or not though, any thoughts you can give me would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    trey sounds like you are off to a good start if it was me i would put some kind of filter in there somewhere. i dont think current matters as much as filtering the water because the bait shops i have been in only had air stones and cool water with no current but i think alittle is nice if you can get both. if you have the water spraying in from the top or falling in from a drop you may have a foam problem so i would stick with the airstone. if you like i have a tank you could get pics of that creates current and oxygen while filtering the water at the same time and it is all done with a bilge pump. i do see one concern with your set up though, i may be wrong but will the salt you add to the water to harden the scales and keep the bait frisky wont it cause the sheet metal to rust at a quick rate. could you use thick plastic or some other kind of material for the corners?

3. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    Well, the metal we used is either galvenized or zinc plated or something like that, but yea i didn't think about the salt water. I really wanted to use alluminum, but we didn't have enough lying around anywhere. I guess i'll test out what I have in there and if it rust then it'll be a lesson learned. I'll take some pictures in the morning w/ my digital camera to show you my setup and see what you think might work for a filtering system. Do you think you could just surround the bilge pump in box made of filters. or would that put too much pressure on the pump to suck in water?

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Trey being an old man I read somewhere that a strong current only wears the fish out but I can't remember where.Be careful with salt an anything anodized etc because it sets up a galvanic action or weak current.I think water temp is far more important than current etc.The cooler the water the more OXY it holds and the more comfortable it is for the herring.Freeze some gal containers for ice and add it regularly.If you can get rainwater or from a lake or pond freeze that as it doesn't have chlorine in it.You can get a good preparation for herring from Baitsaver,thru Basspro.I have kept herring alive for two/three days in my baitwell with no filtration, just change the water and keeping it very cool ie about 70 deg.If your pump brings water in from the bottom then make an outflow so when you turn the pump on it will force the scales etc up and out the outflow.

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    trey salt water isnt good on aluminum either it makes it live where current will run through or something and corrodes really bad. as far as a filter i will have to think on that one.