What's missing from this sport?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cubedweller, Jun 4, 2007.

1. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Good afternoon folks...I'll get to task quickly:
    Our sport is considered to be well outside the norm of traditional sport fishing, and at best it is at the fringe of the mainstream. Some of us think that's a good thing, and some of us would like more exposure. For once, I find myself on both sides of the argument.

For example, I enjoy the relative solitude that catfish angling affords me without having to compete for every square inch of water like ba$$ fishermen face on a regular basis...but on the other hand I am not impressed by the underwhelming availability of specialized gear that is required by our sport, or by the lack of respect we garner because we fish for "rough" or "trash" fish.

So here's my question: What would make this sport more enjoyable to you, the angler? The answer could be a tangible item or an abstract concept.

Take this in consideration: other sports spend millions on focus groups and market research -- but our sport doesn't have those resources at its ready disposal. However one thing is for sure: we are a growing minority and folks are beginning to listen to us. Whether that comes in the form of a more aware market that offers new and better products, or as legislative awareness through better representation in conservation efforts -- we're starting to become recognized and it's up to the catfishing community to ensure that those changes are in the right direction.

Thanks for your time folks -- the soapbox is free. :smile2:

2. ByrdDog

ByrdDog New Member

State:
    Covington,Ga
    I fish for 2 primary reasons fun and food. Fishing for anything is fun but I personally do not "trophy" fish or hunt until my freezer is full (and my freezer is very large). Given the fact I like to catch alot of eater size channels and those channels eat the dead matter off of river/lake bottoms I personally think more effort towards cleaning up our lakes and rivers from pollution would defanitly help our sport. I must say here in Ga efforts have been underway since I was young to clean up the South and Yellow rivers and now most restrictions of fish consumption have been lifted. This may not be the type of answer you were looking for but it is what was on my mind.

3. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    There's no wrong answers, Lee...all answers are welcome and your input is sincerely appreciated.

4. ByrdDog

ByrdDog New Member

State:
    Covington,Ga
    I do understand what you say about catfishing garnering the respect other fishing gets. I was about 8 or 9 when the cleanup efforts began in the South and Yellow rivers and I remember my Grandfather saying nothing was really done until people started pulling out Bass with sores on them.

5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have been seriously considering purchasing a kayak. Now that sounds like a totally new direction for catfishing...being hauled around by a big ol' channel cat! There are a few members on the BOC already doing this, and it looks like a great way to have fun!

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i would like to see more of the game and fish commishion spend more of our money stocking fish that will reproduce themselves and less on fish that die as soon as the water warms up.not only cats but other fish as well.here in ar.tey spend several mill.on trout stockingsin water they know will die just to sell out of state lic.and trout stamps.

7. ByrdDog

ByrdDog New Member

State:
    Covington,Ga
    Our DNR is currently considering reducing or completly doing away with the # of Hydrid Bass in several lakes in this state. I personally love fishing for Hybrids and 2 of the lakes bieng considered are within 15 min of my house. But as poisonpits said you can bet the farm they will not cut back on Trout stocking even though Hybrid fishermen probably outnumber Trout fishermen 20-1 around here.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Alex,
    The dilemma you speak of is indeed a tricky one. For myself I do not want to see catfishing more popular than it already is.
    I do not want pay lakes to be popular and needing to be stocked with fish stolen from our rivers. I do not want to have to wonder if my favorite holes have been fished out or are filled with hoop nets.
    I do not want to have to park on the road because the ramp parking lot is full of cat-boat trailers.
    Having said that I do want to see catfish given sport-fish status in every state so they are protected and regulated so that we will have them around in quantity and quality in the future. The only way that will happen is if there are huge numbers of catfish anglers or big business putting pressure on the powers that be. Big business won't get involved because there is little profit to be made in nightcrawlers and shad.
    I feel that catfishing, no matter how many followers it has will always be regarded as a poor man's hobby. Although some of us have nice boats and equipment a guy can go catch a bunch of fish for the pan or maybe a record with the most basic of gear. The same could be said for bass but bass fishing is powered by the sponsors who want to sell everything from boats to hooks and have the pro's out there pushing their products. The easiest way I know to catch a bass is with a small live bluegill but you will never make money having pro's say that.
    Sorry for the ramble. I guess the short answer to your real question of what would make my fishing more enjoyable is less commercial fishing and more time to go...W

9. ByrdDog

ByrdDog New Member

State:
    Covington,Ga
    Well said brother.

10. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    NASCAR was once regarded as a poor-man's sport...and look at the sponsorship levels and exposure that exists now. It can happen...for God's sake, there's bowling championships being broadcast that resemble a wrestling match.

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I fish the same way I hunt. I won't shoot anything I'm not going to eat (unless it's about to eat me) and don't keep anytning I'm not going to eat. If I've got enough in the freezer to eat, I'll just fish for fun. You can do that fishing, kinda hard to CPR when hunting.

When hunting, I prefer the better eating deer or elk, but if a trophy presents itself, I might go ahead and take it since they don't present themselves very often, but still prefer the ones my family will enjoy the most.

When fishing, I prefer the smaller ones for eating. They taste better and have less fat. I can't remember when the last time was I even kept a full limit as that would fill up the freezer too quickly and I couldn't get permission to go fishing as much, LOL! I take enough for a meal, and usually only have enough for 4 or 5 meals in the freezer.

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Id like to see more respect from people when we talk fishing. when I say Im a catfisherman, I just get an ehh... and a change in subject. Not like when I talk about trout fishing. Then its like Im a jock of the fishing world, so to speak. lol. The benefit of it would be that if it were popular like ba$$ fishing, it would have more pull with the EPA and other governing bodies to clean up the waters so there'd be less worry about eating advisories..i e less pollution.

13. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I certainly know what you're talking about -- but it also doesn't help much when I return the favor by scoffing at the size of their fish and announcing I could use their catch as bait. :lol::tounge_out::big_smile:

14. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Interesting Viewpoints guys:-

What you are BOTH saying is EXACTLY the same thing, Namely........."It's only a matter of time before some profiteer steps in & tries to make a buck out of our pastime!!". Speaking as a non-national (& therefore neutral), the bad news is it WILL happen, it's been happening over here for years, NOT from the salesman angle, but the advertising one. I buy our national paper every week (The Angling Times) & it contains reports from famous anglers who, (to be fair to them are white-hot at the sport) report on a day at a commercial fishery where the quality of catches they had was "unbeleivable" (duh, it would be, they're famous for knowing what they're doing :crazy:) & then when you get to the end of the report, it's either (A).... A brand new fishery that's just opened, or (B).... One that's either out of your price range for membership, or has strict "house" rules, (namely, they check your tackle from top 2 tail & if it don't match up to their expectations, you know where the door is) but getting a famous face in there to fish puts them in the public domain. In short.......... sooner or later, fishing & SNOBBERY will come face to face, it's happening here already. My advice (not opinon) is this.... Recognise the fact that yer being SOLD something, (clearly you already are) LAUGH at it & then IGNORE it for the moneymaking it is & then shed a quiet tear for witnessing the UGLY side of the sport's "progress". Guys, fishing is SIMPLE......only SIMPLETONS don't look at it that way & I don't think any of us on this thread are simpletons.

Cubedweller:-

Rep points to you from me for 4 reasons:

(1).... Interesting thread you opened up

(2).... It made me THINK

(3 &4).... In your personal profile, there's a photo of you wearing a GUINNESS T-shirt (I'm Irish by the way)...... & it's GREAT to see a guy proudly showing off an adorable baby girl on a "manly" website!!! (my daughter's 13......... dude, the road is l-o-n-g.)

Tight Lines & Good Luck!!

15. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Mike -- Thanks for the thoughtful comments and consideration. My purpose in starting the thread was to get folks to think. You hit the nail right on the head in recognizing that.

It's not in my nature to be argumentative, but it's definitely in my nature to look at things from opposing viewpoints and/or play "devil's advocate". I think it should be a requirement if you're going to take a side (or sit in the middle, as I am doing here). And by sitting in the middle, I of course accept that I'm going to be hit by volleys from both sides. I myself am coming to terms with the fact that my hobby (or as my wife calls it, my obsession) is a sport. There are teams. There are matches and tournaments. There is money involved. And on top of all that, there exists an opportunity to ensure that future generations are able to experience the same (and hopefully better) through wise conservation of what is a natural resource.

Thanks for thinking about the topic and taking the time to write it out.

16. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Pardon my ignorance, but what's an SQL developer?

17. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    A..... Squirrel?

18. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Oops:

Apols dude, i googled it & it IS a recognised occupation! I still got no idea what it means though!!

19. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Where i live the offshore fisherman are the class of fishing, fishing on the river is for the poor folk, and u know what, i love it that way. more river for me. as for offshore...it is to expensive...lol, as for the popularity of the sport i have seen the glory, when i caught the state record there was alot of attention focused on the sport locally our walmart sold out of big line and big rods and the river was full of boats for a couple of weeks then things calmed back down the river got back to the way it used to be calm and peacefull and i like it better that way.the one thing this sport needs is more people like the people on this board who respect the fish and respect the fisherman. maybe some more regulations and recognition as a game fish........and everyone to stay out of my honeyhole.....lol:lol::lol::lol:

20. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Well, I guess it's kind of like Powerball fever -- when there's a big prize to be won (or evidence thereof) people's interest is piqued and they go wild pursuing it themselves. The perfect analogue is the 20+ lb bass craze of the mid nineties when big fish were coming out of Lake Castaic in CA...people flocked to that reservoir in an attempt to catch the next record florida strain largemouth.

Congrats on that flathead, btw -- that's a hoss of a fish...and thanks for the input and opinion.